PDA

View Full Version : I thought I knew how to detail?!?

slimboogie
04-21-2008, 04:36 PM
So I just happened to find this forum while I was surfing the one for Acura's (AcuraZine - The Acura Forum - Welcome Acura CL, Acura RL, Acura TL, Acura TSX, and Acura RDX Owners and Enthusiasts! (http://www.acurazine.com)) and I came across a link that directed me to Autogeek's. I am completely blown away. I thought I knew a little bit about detailing but I guess not. So now I need some serious help. I'm new to this forum but not new to the forum process so I've done my standard searches and readings for the last 18 hours. Now I need some guidance. This is what I have in my garage (currently using) and from what I've read, I think it all has to go:
10" orbital buffer from autozone?!?
Meguiar's Cleaner Wax
Meguiar's NXT 2.0 Wax
Meguiar's Car Wash
Assorted applicator pads and a ton of MF towels

So as a beginner, I'm going to go with a Porter Cable (or a UDM if it gets back in stock within the next day) and as far as waxes and cleaners go. I think I'm going to start off with the Pinnacle XMT line. I think I have a good understanding of the pads but definitely need to do some more reading. I have a 2004 Acura TL and what I thought I have been doing to maintain it has kept it in good condition (I thought). After reading the forums and going back out to re look at my car, I definitely noticed fine swirl marks and water spots all over. So hopefully this week, I will go the DA and pinnacle route and see what that does for me. Thanks!

ScottB
04-21-2008, 05:10 PM
Welcome ....

heatgain
04-21-2008, 06:00 PM
So I just happened to find this forum while I was surfing the one for Acura's (AcuraZine - The Acura Forum - Welcome Acura CL, Acura RL, Acura TL, Acura TSX, and Acura RDX Owners and Enthusiasts! (http://www.acurazine.com)) and I came across a link that directed me to Autogeek's. I am completely blown away. I thought I knew a little bit about detailing but I guess not. So now I need some serious help. I'm new to this forum but not new to the forum process so I've done my standard searches and readings for the last 18 hours. Now I need some guidance. This is what I have in my garage (currently using) and from what I've read, I think it all has to go:
Meguiar's Cleaner Wax
Meguiar's NXT 2.0 Wax
Meguiar's Car Wash

If you're tossing out the Meguiars products and applicators, toss them to me.

Jimmie
04-21-2008, 06:27 PM
:welcome: Have you come across claying in your searches? You may want to add that before your polishing.

Mike T
04-21-2008, 06:44 PM
Welcome ....
:whs::welcome:

slimboogie
04-21-2008, 11:12 PM
Forgot about that. I also have the Meguiar's Clay bar kit.

RIDE3311
04-21-2008, 11:40 PM
Hey slimboogie,

I thought I new some stuff about detailing which was very little, but I definitely stand corrected after reading everything on this site. So you're not alone. I'm trying to figure out what the best way to start off is too:welcome:

wytstang
04-22-2008, 12:58 AM
So as a beginner, I'm going to go with a Porter Cable (or a UDM if it gets back in stock within the next day) and as far as waxes and cleaners go. I think I'm going to start off with the Pinnacle XMT line. I think I have a good understanding of the pads but definitely need to do some more reading. I have a 2004 Acura TL and what I thought I have been doing to maintain it has kept it in good condition (I thought). After reading the forums and going back out to re look at my car, I definitely noticed fine swirl marks and water spots all over. So hopefully this week, I will go the DA and pinnacle route and see what that does for me. Thanks!
That is a blessing and a curse all at the same time. You will be amazed now what you can see and what others can't. Welcome to the real detailing world it's great.

94LT1
04-22-2008, 07:38 AM
This is what I have in my garage (currently using) and from what I've read, I think it all has to go:
Meguiar's Cleaner Wax
Meguiar's NXT 2.0 Wax
Meguiar's Car Wash

Welcome
The only thing i would get rid of is the orbital.but u dont have 2.i still kept mine and use it to remove waxes and sealants since i have a ton of bonnets for it.
The cleaner wax isnt a bad product to have on hand.There are better cleaners out there like Klasses All-In-One but meguiars cleaner wax isnt bad.iv heard people use it on there wheels.
I havent tried NXT 2.0 but from wat im hearing its not bad stuff either.For a higher gloss shine then pinnacles souveran or Signature Series II would be a good choice to look into.
As for car wash soap i myself use meguiars gold class.Thats basically a personal preference.I have been looking into possibly getting a foam gun which would be nice for real dirty cars.Now a sea sponge or the bone from cobra, or even a micro fiber chenille wash mit might b a good thing to look into if you want to prevent swirls while washing.
I keep all my MF towels because u can never have enough.
For swirl remover look into Menzerna products.Almost everyone here lives by them.
just my $.02

TOGWT
04-22-2008, 07:48 AM
I for one am awfully thankful to the experts that use their valuable time here, to give us their take on the actual, rather than marketed, quality of various products and methodologies. At the end of the day, if you ask a question, you will get an answer, or even many, but it’s your car and your cash.

Starnge thing about knowledge and learning - the more I learn, the more I realize what I don’t know. Then at some point, I hope to have learned enough to realize, that I know nothing at all.

vinnier6
04-22-2008, 08:03 AM
dude, if you getting rid of the meg products give them to a fellow acuraziner....otherwise, your on the correct path, udm/pc is what your looking for, wash, clay, polish, protect....what color is your tl....i have the kenitc blue pearl, it might as well be black.....but i keep it swirl free....also, i might suggest a wool wash mit....

slimboogie
04-22-2008, 12:28 PM
Satin Silver Metallic. I just got it back from having hail damage repaired using Paintless dent removal. He did an amazing job. But after I got it back I realized how much more work my TL needs. I just ordered the UDM with the pinnacle XMT series light swirl removal kit. I am going to start off with that initially and keep reading other posts about their recommendations. I was pretty much hooked after watching the video that is posted on Autogeeks how-to section.