PDA

View Full Version : Finally Replaced My Beat-Up Work Platform

2black1s
07-06-2022, 11:58 PM
You know when you need a platform to reach across the roof, or to the center of the windshield, on a truck?

Well, I've been using an old sawhorse forever as my platform. Functionally, it did everything I wanted it to do and worked well for me, but aesthetically, it left a little to be desired. I've been wanting to replace it with something better looking for a while and finally got around to doing so.

Over the last week or so I went out to my woodshop (BTW - my favorite place to be lately) and slapped together a brand-new pair of custom sawhorses to use as work platforms in my garage. I'm pretty happy with the results.

Actually, they came out so nice that I'm going to have a hard time stepping on them for the first time... LOL.

This is the horse I'm replacing

And here is the new pair doing the replacing

Coatingsarecrack
07-07-2022, 01:35 AM
Nice! Are the graphics painted on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2black1s
07-07-2022, 12:02 PM
Nice! Are the graphics painted on?

Yes! Everything is paint. Just your basic latex house type paint (Behr Premium Plus). Gloss for the primary gray color and Satin for the graphics.

dgage
07-07-2022, 01:16 PM
I thought these were welded since there are no seams to be seen. Amazing job. Indeed, how can you put your dirty feet on such a work of art?

2black1s
07-07-2022, 01:31 PM
I thought these were welded since there are no seams to be seen. Amazing job. Indeed, how can you put your dirty feet on such a work of art?

Nope... They are all wood.

All of the joints are screwed and glued. Once the glue dried, I removed the screws, drilled the screw holes oversized, and glued in a dowel. The reason I did it this way is because my initial plan was to leave them natural wood with an oil coating - but I didn't like the way the natural wood looked in my garage, so I decided to paint them with a design and colors to better match my garage environment.

If I had originally planned to paint them, I would have just left the screws in place and filled over them.

PaulMys
07-07-2022, 04:32 PM
What wood did you use, John? Pine?

2black1s
07-07-2022, 06:39 PM
What wood did you use, John? Pine?

Whatever I had laying around...
1 x 8 Pine for the legs
2 x 6 Spruce for the top
2 x 4 Doug Fir + a 1/2" plywood filler for the mid shelf
3/4" plywood for the end panels