PDA

View Full Version : Did first paint correction - Need more bite!

Pages : [1] 2

Bornin1992
07-04-2022, 08:32 PM
Hi, all,

First, thanks for all the feedback when I posted my question on here earlier about paint correction on my Corolla. I settled on Griot's Garage Correcting Creme, and Lake Country Orange and Blue pads, finishing it off with Griot's Garage 3-in-1 Ceramic Wax. Here are some photos: First paint correction! - Album on Imgur (https://imgur.com/a/ffna0SA)

Overall, I think it went quite well and was able to get out most of the scratches. I found myself reaching for the Blue pad more often than I had expected.

A. What Pad/Compound would you recommend to get it (closer) to perfection?
B. Is there a way to remove the wax on only the areas where I want to do some additional work?

Thanks!

Eldorado2k
07-04-2022, 08:37 PM
The blue pad is their finesse pad?

It sounds like you need to step it up to Fast Correcting Cream and Yellow heavy cutting foam pad.

What polisher are you using?

Bornin1992
07-04-2022, 09:14 PM
The blue pad is their finesse pad?

It sounds like you need to step it up to Fast Correcting Cream and Yellow heavy cutting foam pad.

What polisher are you using?

Isn't Blue lake Country more harsh than orange?

Eldorado2k
07-04-2022, 09:32 PM
Isn't Blue lake Country more harsh than orange?

They used to call the blue pad their finessing pad because it has basically no cut.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220705/3c39641cb26f81a8b0f2c94cc5969c9d.png

Unless you’re using a different line of their pads? You’re not using the HDO CCS pads, are you? If so then the color scheme is different.

Edit: I see from your other post that you’re using a G9 and SDO pads. If you read the description on those blue pads you’ll notice it says “light to moderate scratches”

The yellow flat foam pads have more cut. I’d pair them up with Fast Correcting Cream.

As far as removing the wax to start over? Claybar it.

Bornin1992
07-04-2022, 10:05 PM
They used to call the blue pad their finessing pad because it has basically no cut.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220705/3c39641cb26f81a8b0f2c94cc5969c9d.png

Unless you’re using a different line of their pads? You’re not using the HDO CCS pads, are you? If so then the color scheme is different.

Edit: I see from your other post that you’re using a G9 and SDO pads. If you read the description on those blue pads you’ll notice it says “light to moderate scratches”

The yellow flat foam pads have more cut. I’d pair them up with Fast Correcting Cream.

As far as removing the wax to start over? Claybar it.

HaHa, one commenter said, "You can get a couple blue pads in case you come across some defects that need a stronger punch. " Interesting. Maybe it was the placebo effect.

Bornin1992
07-04-2022, 10:10 PM
SDO Pads - Lake Country Manufacturing (https://lakecountrymfg.com/products/sdo-pads/) This is what I have, which is labelled as Heavy polishing.

Eldorado2k
07-04-2022, 10:12 PM
HaHa, one commenter said, "You can get a couple blue pads in case you come across some defects that need a stronger punch. " Interesting. Maybe it was the placebo effect.

You have to keep in mind that those HDO CCS pads were made for long throw polishers which by nature have more cutting ability.

You’re using a G9, the flat foam pads are made to be paired with that kind of polisher.

Edit: Description of the Blue SDO pads. “Light to moderate imperfections”

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220705/0efdcd8268502fdfa6f15158622292bc.png

Description of Yellow flat foam: “Use this pad to apply compounds to remove severe oxidation, swirls and scratches. It’s the most aggressive”

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220705/fc1708018362e6ae315f62eca167f27b.png

Another good option is the Gray Thinpro pad. Description: “use it for spot repair or heavy compounding”

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220705/4b535a4bae6204d403a61a56e444a3ec.png

Fast Correcting Cream.

Bornin1992
07-04-2022, 10:25 PM
You have to keep in mind that those HDO CCS pads where made for long throw polishers which by nature have more cutting ability.

You’re using a G9, the flat foam pads are made to be paired with that kind of polisher.

What about microfiber pads? Would that jump be too severe?

Eldorado2k
07-04-2022, 10:32 PM
What about microfiber pads? Would that jump be too severe?

It wouldn’t be too severe/aggressive. Alot of people including myself like to use microfiber pads for cutting. They work well with Fast Correcting Cream but I prefer to use Meguiars D300 as my go to whenever I use microfiber pads as I find it to pair better and produce better results and user experience. That’s the only reason I hadn’t mentioned them yet.

Some people say D300 doesn’t have quite as much cut as Fast Correcting Cream, but I can’t really think of a time when it failed to get the job done even on hard paint. Lately it’s been my go to compound even on foam pads.

If you use microfiber pads, make sure to prime it before use and hit it with the pad brush after each polishing cycle to try and keep the pad clean as long as possible. If you have compressed air to blow the pads clean you’ll be 2 steps ahead.

Bornin1992
07-04-2022, 11:04 PM
It wouldn’t be too severe/aggressive. Alot of people including myself like to use microfiber pads for cutting. They work well with Fast Correcting Cream but I prefer to use Meguiars D300 as my go to whenever I use microfiber pads as I find it to pair better and produce better results and user experience. That’s the only reason I hadn’t mentioned them yet.

Some people say D300 doesn’t have quite as much cut as Fast Correcting Cream, but I can’t really think of a time when it failed to get the job done even on hard paint. Lately it’s been my go to compound even on foam pads.

If you use microfiber pads, make sure to prime it before use and hit it with the pad brush after each polishing cycle to try and keep the pad clean as long as possible. If you have compressed air to blow the pads clean you’ll be 2 steps ahead.
I am noticing the LC Yellow flat pad suggests you follow-up with a white or gray pad with a "fine polish." What would work well? I'm thinking to go with a microfiber pads, Meguiars D300 and a Yellow pad to give me variety. Could I use the correcting cream as a fine polish or would that be the perfecting cream I'd want?

Eldorado2k
07-04-2022, 11:33 PM
I am noticing the LC Yellow flat pad suggests you follow-up with a white or gray pad with a "fine polish." What would work well? I'm thinking to go with a microfiber pads, Meguiars D300 and a Yellow pad to give me variety. Could I use the correcting cream as a fine polish or would that be the perfecting cream I'd want?

You could use the Correcting Cream as your polish with your currect Orange pads, yes.

In most cases you’ll get lsp or darn near lsp ready results just from D300 w/Microfiber or a compound w/Yellow pads. That’s the beauty of these modern day compounds.

Bornin1992
07-08-2022, 04:56 PM
You could use the Correcting Cream as your polish with your currect Orange pads, yes.

In most cases you’ll get lsp or darn near lsp ready results just from D300 w/Microfiber or a compound w/Yellow pads. That’s the beauty of these modern day compounds.
I ended up ordering several LC Yellow and White flat pads, D300, and Meguiars Microfiber cutting pads. In terms of bite, what would you recommend as a starting, least aggressive combination (already have correcting cream) to higher noting orange didn't touch it.

Paul A.
07-08-2022, 07:05 PM
I would try 2 test spots first. Correcting Cream with MF Cutting pad and same thing with Yellow foam cutting pad. Side by side and inspect results closely. If neither spot cuts like you want try the same test with D300.

I've found Toyo paint to be mostly soft and sometimes medium.

Eldorado2k
07-09-2022, 12:02 AM
I’d go straight into the microfiber pads with D300.

IMO using a less aggressive compound with the microfiber pads leads to overworking to achieve the desired results + IME the Boss Creams tend to gum up for lack of a better term on the microfiber pads. It’s been a while so I might be describing it wrong but there’s something I didn’t like about the user experience compared to D300.

Prime the microfiber pads so that there’s coverage across the entire pad prior to getting started, then add 3 small dots before each polishing cycle. Work somewhat slow with your arm speed applying moderate pressure for the 1st 2 section passes, then ease up on the pressure during the final section passes. Those are the general instructions from Meguiars.

I like to set the polisher at speed 4.5

Eldorado2k
08-21-2022, 11:03 AM
I ended up ordering several LC Yellow and White flat pads, D300, and Meguiars Microfiber cutting pads. In terms of bite, what would you recommend as a starting, least aggressive combination (already have correcting cream) to higher noting orange didn't touch it.

Update?