PDA

View Full Version : Tint adhesive removal

Azure
06-30-2022, 01:25 PM
Hi y'all. I had my son wait to remove his rear window tint that failed on a hot summer day. This was today lol. He was able to remove 95% of the tint film, but none of the adhesive removed with the film. I had him try isopropyl alcohol, but he says this didn't work at all. Do any of you know what you can use to remove this adhesive as far as chemicals go?

oneheadlite
06-30-2022, 04:27 PM
I just posted something similar to this here and on the sister site. Helpful folks chimed in with recommendations for: Tar-x (or other tar remover), 3m adhesive remover, and mineral spirits. Also watch your interior trim as you’re using chemicals around them.

For smooth glass I know fresh razor blades often come into play as well.
Good luck!

PaulMys
06-30-2022, 05:40 PM
3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover.

And like John stated above, be VERY careful not to get any on interior plastics.

dgage
07-01-2022, 12:38 AM
Also don’t use razors on a back glass that has defroster lines or you might break them. You also might want to test the rear defroster before and after to make sure it still works when you’re done.

I’d probably suggest the 3M Adhesive Remover and use some plastic, absorbent material on top of that, and tape to protect the trim and upholstery nearby.

Azure
07-01-2022, 12:51 PM
I just posted something similar to this here and on the sister site. Helpful folks chimed in with recommendations for: Tar-x (or other tar remover), 3m adhesive remover, and mineral spirits. Also watch your interior trim as you’re using chemicals around them.

For smooth glass I know fresh razor blades often come into play as well.
Good luck!

3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover.

And like John stated above, be VERY careful not to get any on interior plastics.

Also don’t use razors on a back glass that has defroster lines or you might break them. You also might want to test the rear defroster before and after to make sure it still works when you’re done.

I’d probably suggest the 3M Adhesive Remover and use some plastic, absorbent material on top of that, and tape to protect the trim and upholstery nearby.

Thanks to all! This is very helpful.