PDA

View Full Version : System 2000 or Universal Pad Washer

Pages : [1] 2

KrisMas
04-20-2008, 10:35 PM
Any review or comparison between the two?

I have a rotary and I think it's time to get a pad washer. Other than the advantage of cleaning pads using DA/ROB with the UPW, any other discerning advantage of getting the new UPW? Which is better for a rotary user?

Thanks in advance.

Gritguard
04-21-2008, 08:51 AM
With the UPW, dirt falls through the Grit Guard, into the bottom of the bucket. With the System 2000, it sits on the platform and gets picked up again by the buffing pad.
UPW dries your pads, system 2000 doesn't
UPW cleans the CENTER and the EDGES of the pads, system 2000 only cleans 60 % of the pad.
UPW has a Gamma Seal lid (water and leak proof), system 2000 only has one lid (the splash guard lid and can't be transported without dumping the water)
UPW is Universal - it works with every polisher and buffer

Need I say more?

KrisMas
04-21-2008, 09:12 AM
I'm trying to find out which system would be better for the pads in the long term. I mean the UPW is just using friction on the grits but the S2000 has moving wheels/spur that would have a conditioning effect on the pads, wouldn't it?

Anybody has any experience using or trying both?

Buffing pads are quite expensive here in my country and the longer I can maintain them in working condition the better and cost effective it would be for me.

David Fermani
04-21-2008, 11:26 AM
I've used my System 2000 thousands of times and it has lasted for about 6 years (until it got ran over) of constant abuse by my detailers. We detailed 25-35 vehicles per day, and it worked effortlessly without one failure. Here's my take after seeing and using the Grit Guard @ Detail Fest:

With the UPW, dirt falls through the Grit Guard, into the bottom of the bucket. With the System 2000, it sits on the platform and gets picked up again by the buffing pad.

Both systems use the "contaminated" cleaning solution to clean/flush the pad mixed with friction. I can't see how either one has an advantage over the other in this comparison. The System 2000 washer uses actual "rear world" plastic spurs to create deep cleaning penetration of the pad's pores/surface (just like a real pad spur). The UPW relies on the outer pad's surface to rub against the Grit Guard; eventually dropping the contaminants out. *Please note that I haven't witnessed the UPW clean a really dirt pad to see how it performs with a heavy application* I feel that anytime a product has loose parts (Grit Guard Extension & lid plastic wing nut), there's more of a chance for loosing/breaking/wearing it out. I wonder after extensive usage if the Extension/plastic wing nut will wear out and not allow it to fit or lock in place. There can only be so much rubbing/spurring on both the extension and/or the lid before it starts to melt away.

UPW dries your pads, system 2000 doesn't

I've never experienced 1 problem with the dampness left after spurring a foam/wool pad in the System 2000. The extra frictional spurring doesn't give it a make-it-or-break-it advantage for a rotary user IMHO. I've found that if you use the UPW's external extension, it will cause the wetness to sling all over the user. Not a good design.

UPW cleans the CENTER and the EDGES of the pads, system 2000 only cleans 60 % of the pad.

I don't feel this is accurate. Both washers clean the entire surface of the pad. Each one requires the user to swivel the buffer as you either clean or dry the pad. Both swiveling is done effortlessly.

UPW has a Gamma Seal lid (water and leak proof), system 2000 only has one lid (the splash guard lid and can't be transported without dumping the water)
UPW is Universal - it works with every polisher and buffer

I've never transported my washer full of water. If you keep the contaminated water inside the washer for more than a day, it tends to smell really bad.
One thing I don't care for is the cheap plastic wing nut the UPW uses to close the lid. I don't think this is as good or as durable of a design as the System 2000.
Will the UPW work with a Cyclo?
The UPW definitely has the advantage of cleaning PC pads. I cleaned my PC pads by attaching them to my rotary and washing them that way. Definitley takes more time and effort.

In addition, the price point of the System 2000 is $15 cheaper than the UPW. That in itself is enough for people to make their decision.

ZoranC
04-21-2008, 02:05 PM
Here's my take after seeing and using the Grit Guard @ Detail Fest: ...

Very thorough analysis and very very good points, David, especially on circulation of equally contaminated water, thank you!

ScottB
04-21-2008, 05:14 PM
I liked the DFIII showing ... never owned either however.

KrisMas
04-21-2008, 08:21 PM
Thanks David. That was a very informative review and also my thoughts exactly (without any hands-on experience). Any more anybody?

Totoland Mach
04-30-2008, 08:41 PM
Well, I just received my Grit Guard washer and took it to the BMW shop yesterday. What a joy to use! Even my 3M loving, skeptic dealer thought it was great.

Washed the wool and foam pads in a few minutes. The only thing I discovered was after washing and sping drying the foam pads, they needed to be blown again with the compressed air nozzle to completely dry them out...not a big deal and I counted to 5 while doing the pad...done!

I typically wash pads daily to keep them in rotation and this washer completes the task quickly, easily, and thoroughly. Can't ask for any more than that.

Great Product!

Toto

David Fermani
04-30-2008, 09:33 PM
Toto - Have you ever used the Lake Country System 2000 Pad Washer?

Totoland Mach
05-01-2008, 05:13 AM
Toto - Have you ever used the Lake Country System 2000 Pad Washer?

David: Nossir, I have not used it. The Grit Guard folks showed me their system at Detail Fest and I liked it. At the time, there was no other product to compare it to.

Toto

Gritguard
05-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Toto: Glad to hear you're happy with your new UPW.

David: Have you tried the UPW?

Totoland Mach
05-01-2008, 11:54 AM
Toto: Glad to hear you're happy with your new UPW.

I am happy. I don't know if there is a fix (other than practice) for drying out foam pads: I tend to get the backing plate too close to the inside of the lid (I've already worn a nice groove in mine).

Suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

Toto

Gritguard
05-01-2008, 01:06 PM
I am happy. I don't know if there is a fix (other than practice) for drying out foam pads:

Toto,
There are a couple of solutions to your problem.

1. Water Control
With the UPW, you control how much or how little water is used to clean the pad. As you push down on the UPW, the four jets squirt water into the buffing pad. The amount of water delivered depends on how rapidly or slowly you press down. You might try pumping a little less, or filling the UPW with a little less water, to where the water level sits just below the top of the Grit Guard Insert, with the springs fully depressed.

2. Utilizing the Grit Guard Extension
The Grit Guard Extension serves several purposes.
1. It's movable - it can be placed almost anywhere on the Grit Guard Insert, to aid in cleaning areas of the pad which otherwise might be neglected. For example, you can place the Grit Guard Extension in the center of the Grit Guard to clean the centers of your pads, or it can be placed along the outer edges of the Grit Guard, to clean the edges of your pads.
2. It dries - The Grit Guard Extension can be placed in designated area of the splash guard lid (marked DRY PAD HERE) to aid in drying. (See image below) By running the buffer/polisher on the Grit Guard Extension, water is further extracted from your buffing pads. This will dry the buffing pads enough so you can go right back to buffing.

Personally, I like to use more water when I clean my buffing pads, as it tends to give a more thorough clean, deep into the pad, so I utilize the Grit Guard Extension's drying capabilities. It leaves the pad much drier than would be possible by simply spinning the pad on the polisher.

Hope this helps!

Totoland Mach
05-01-2008, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the tips. I think my problem is I initially had too much water in the bucket which caused me to lift the foam pad on the rotary too high for drying. I was bringing the back of the backing plate too close to the lid for this reason. I'm going to reduce my water supply in the bucket and see if that helps.

Toto

David Fermani
05-01-2008, 10:09 PM

Yes I have. And, I saw your demo of it @ Detail Fest.