PDA

View Full Version : First time detailing. My apologies, but I have to ask the questions

Pages : [1] 2 3

Brrr
06-21-2022, 09:37 PM
I know people ask the same questions, and I apologize. It’s like that on every forum ranging from people DIY building computers, getting into tools or just any new hobby they want to tackle. I’ve been lurking on the forum for a little bit, reading the vast amount of knowledge. Trying to learn the terminology of what a LSP is or ONR (which I still have to look up) but I’ve come to you great people in search of guidance. My wife has purchased a used 2016 black Mustang and has so kindly appointed me the ‘keep her looking pretty’ guy. So for Father’s Day she told me to order a polisher. Sooooo I got us a Griots G9 polisher. Cool! What do I do with this? All I’ve done in my whole career of washing was the old school dawn in an old mop bucket and a wash rag. After some research, I’ve stumbled upon the general consensus that (1) this is terribly incorrect and (2) I’ve never actually known how to correctly clean a car.

Shared album - Brrr - Google Photos (https://photos.app.goo.gl/vuZK6Hnm4QrQt5j3A)

^link to car pictures and what I’ve ordered.

Here’s where you guys come in. I don’t know what to buy. I’ve purchased about $350 of stuff from the AGO store and I’m not sure what else I need or if I even bought the correct stuff and what order to use it. From what I’m gathering, I should rinse car off, foam cannon the piss out of it, wash it, clay bar it, use the polisher (but what freaking pads!? That’s a rabbit hole in itself. Each company uses different color pads for the same cut?? What thickness do i get? LC HDO pads? Griots pad?? No idea what pads to get!!) then after the two step polish, use a protectant (I have the 845 coming I think) so is that it or am I wrong?

sorry to be such an inconvenience about this stuff, but hopefully I can get on track. I’ve tried reading some articles, but the more I read, the more lost I got.

98CayenneTA
06-21-2022, 10:02 PM
If you're doing a 2 step correction, to keep it simple for ya..... this is what I would recommend.....

- Carpro Ultracut compound
- Carpro Essence polish
- 12 Rupes yellow polishing pads and use them for both compounding and polishing.

Then seal it with anything of your choosing

Brrr
06-21-2022, 10:13 PM
If you're doing a 2 step correction, to keep it simple for ya..... this is what I would recommend.....

- Carpro Ultracut compound
- Carpro Essence polish
- 12 Rupes yellow polishing pads and use them for both compounding and polishing.

Then seal it with anything of your choosing

Well, I ordered the Meguiars swirl correcting kit that came with M105 and M205… so would the Rupes pads still be suitable for that?

98CayenneTA
06-21-2022, 10:31 PM
Yes

Sharply Dressed
06-22-2022, 01:42 AM
I know people ask the same questions, and I apologize. It’s like that on every forum ranging from people DIY building computers, getting into tools or just any new hobby they want to tackle. I’ve been lurking on the forum for a little bit, reading the vast amount of knowledge. Trying to learn the terminology of what a LSP is or ONR (which I still have to look up) but I’ve come to you great people in search of guidance. My wife has purchased a used 2016 black Mustang and has so kindly appointed me the ‘keep her looking pretty’ guy. So for Father’s Day she told me to order a polisher. Sooooo I got us a Griots G9 polisher. Cool! What do I do with this? All I’ve done in my whole career of washing was the old school dawn in an old mop bucket and a wash rag. After some research, I’ve stumbled upon the general consensus that (1) this is terribly incorrect and (2) I’ve never actually known how to correctly clean a car.

Shared album - Brrr - Google Photos (https://photos.app.goo.gl/vuZK6Hnm4QrQt5j3A)

^link to car pictures and what I’ve ordered.

Here’s where you guys come in. I don’t know what to buy. I’ve purchased about $350 of stuff from the AGO store and I’m not sure what else I need or if I even bought the correct stuff and what order to use it. From what I’m gathering, I should rinse car off, foam cannon the piss out of it, wash it, clay bar it, use the polisher (but what freaking pads!? That’s a rabbit hole in itself. Each company uses different color pads for the same cut?? What thickness do i get? LC HDO pads? Griots pad?? No idea what pads to get!!) then after the two step polish, use a protectant (I have the 845 coming I think) so is that it or am I wrong?

sorry to be such an inconvenience about this stuff, but hopefully I can get on track. I’ve tried reading some articles, but the more I read, the more lost I got.

Reading and research are important but only to a degree. You have the general idea and received good advice on the products and pads. I’d have to suggest HD One, HD Speed and HD Poxy which are excellent on black paint, easy to use and works well with a variety of pads. Once you start trying to work with the equipment and products, you’ll accelerate your learning experience quickly. Jump in and enjoy it.

Brrr
06-22-2022, 03:43 AM
Reading and research are important but only to a degree. You have the general idea and received good advice on the products and pads. I’d have to suggest HD One, HD Speed and HD Poxy which are excellent on black paint, easy to use and works well with a variety of pads. Once you start trying to work with the equipment and products, you’ll accelerate your learning experience quickly. Jump in and enjoy it.

Okay, thanks for the sound advice. With the kits I ordered, one comes with CCS pads and the other comes with LC low profile pads. The CCS pads are 6.5’s and the Low Profile pads are 5.5 (I think? Maybe it’s the other way around.. I ordered a 5” backing plate anyway) but from what I’m reading the G9 likes a little thicker pad… I’ll give it the LP pads a test run on our GMC Acadia to see how it looks. I have 3 black vehicles and I think I may regret that color choice. Haha.

Brrr
07-09-2022, 08:54 AM
Here’s a list of everything I have purchased for exterior car detailing. Is there anything else I’m needing??

Auto Detailing list

Tires:
Sonax Plus
Amazing Roll off
Wolfgang Black diamond tore gel
Poor boys wheel sealant
Tire/Wheel brushes

Washing stuff:

Poor boys bug squash
Bug and tar sponge
PF22 foam cannon
Carpro reset
Meguiars mf wash mit
Koala wash mitt
Colllinite 845

Buffing stuff:
Griots G9
5” vented backing plate
Meguiars 105 and 205
IPA 91% mixed at 8:1 for panel prep
ONR for clay lube
Pad cleaner and pad conditioner
Masking tape
LC Hybrid Force pads (didn’t mean to order those, they are for long throw polishers right?)

Misc:
Blackfire APC
Famous detailing brush
5 piece detailing brush kit
Microfiber towels
Waffle weave drying towel

opie
07-09-2022, 11:03 AM
LC Hybrid Force pads (didn’t mean to order those, they are for long throw polishers right?)

Those were made for forced rotation machines...namely the flex machines

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Brrr
07-09-2022, 11:49 AM
Those were made for forced rotation machines...namely the flex machines

Ahh.. I bought them and forgot what the reason was. I was suggested to get Rupes yellow foam pads. Any other recommendations for the G9?

mattmann
07-09-2022, 01:43 PM
I used p&s dream maker on a black car the other day and [emoji54] looks amazing. Give it a try after you polish everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brrr
07-09-2022, 04:04 PM
I used p&s dream maker on a black car the other day and [emoji54] looks amazing. Give it a try after you polish everything.

I saw your post on it. It does look amazing, and I’ll add that to my next order to try. So it would like this: m105 for cut, m205 to polish, then dream maker on top to complete? I also thought about trying Souveran.

Your garage looks amazing, btw.

opie
07-09-2022, 10:07 PM
Ahh.. I bought them and forgot what the reason was. I was suggested to get Rupes yellow foam pads. Any other recommendations for the G9?Im sorry i dont, id rather not recommend any pads for the g9 as i have no experience behind that machine.

And as for your last comment about dreamaker after compound and polish...i thought you mentioned you bought collinite 845 to use?

Coatingsarecrack
07-10-2022, 03:32 AM
Ahh.. I bought them and forgot what the reason was. I was suggested to get Rupes yellow foam pads. Any other recommendations for the G9?

Griots BOSS pads. I like the orange for correction and the yellows for polishing.

mailman
07-10-2022, 06:41 AM
No one has mentioned this, but it wouldn't hurt to watch a few videos on how to use those products. Often the mfg's website will have them. Beware of YouTubers as some of those guys just like to see themselves drone on and on in front of a camera. They're not hard to spot. Good luck on your journey, especially since you really jumped in with both feet! As in a 6 year old black vehicle. If you can get that baby sparkling, your next one will be a piece of cake.........

The Guz
07-10-2022, 03:15 PM
Based on that list Reset will degrade waxes and polymer sealants.

There are also better compounds than M105.