PDA

View Full Version : New Turtle Wax Tire Shine + Flex Wax

Don M
05-31-2022, 07:13 AM
Here is a pic of the new Turtle Wax graphene & acrylic tire shine on the Camaro. I followed the instructions: apply, wait 5 minutes and buff the excess. I had to wipe them down again the next day because some of the product was "caught" in the grooves and seeped out onto the tire making it look blotchy.

The other pic is after a full day of polishing with HS Polish & Wax on a Meguiar's cutting pad, followed by an application of Flex Wax graphene. I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH the importance of using the 'damp towel / dry towel' removal method. It makes it SO much easier and the results are far better. Even with yesterday's heat (~85*) the graphene Flex Wax removed very easily and you can see the results...there was NO streaking or smearing.

What do you think?

Don M
05-31-2022, 08:38 AM
LOL, I posted this on a FaceBook detailer's page and someone tried to chastise me for topping a polish + wax product, said I should have used a plain polish first.

PA DETAILER
05-31-2022, 08:56 AM
Looks good to me. I also did my spring detail Saturday. TWHS Polish & wax followed up with 2 coats of TWSC. I do have a bottle of the flex wax but have not used it yet. I may use it as drying aid next wash instead of my usual wet wax just to see how it does.

PaulMys
05-31-2022, 04:42 PM
LOL, I posted this on a FaceBook detailer's page and someone tried to chastise me for topping a polish + wax product, said I should have used a plain polish first.

Tell the FB Jack-off to grow a set and post that over here on AGO..........:awesome: :D

Car looks GREAT, Don!!

Don M
05-31-2022, 07:16 PM
Tell the FB Jack-off to grow a set and post that over here on AGO..........:awesome: :D

Car looks GREAT, Don!!

I TRIED to explain to him that P&W was DESIGNED to be a base coat for the TW Ceramic Spray Coating and the Flex Wax.

Steve Johnson
Shouldn’t use a Polish with protection in it if going to use another “wax” or Sealant on top.

Don Michaels
Author
The Turtle Wax products are designed to work together. I've emailed TW and they assured me that they play nice together. Besides, I used this combo last fall and got 7.5 months out of it on the top surfaces (including driving it through the winter). The sides took a hit, but that's to be expected.

Steve Johnson
Don Michaels I mean no shade by this but you need to learn how these products work. When “layering” you put the longest lasting product on first. If someone at TW told you otherwise then you got a rep who doesn’t use the products.

Don Michaels
Author
Steve Johnson Just continuing the friendly conversation...it would make no sense to use an abrasive polish after applying a pure sealant.

Steve Johnson
Don Michaels What are you talking about lol

Don Michaels
Author
Steve Johnson The TW polish&wax is an abrasive polish with a little bit of ceramic "wax" in it. If I would have applied the Flex Wax first, the P&W would have taken it off.

Steve Johnson
Don Michaels Correct. Like I said previously you shouldn’t of used the “Polish and Wax”... Not sure what you aren’t understanding

I gave up at this point :poke:

BTLew81
05-31-2022, 07:23 PM
Don can you describe the flex wax technique? Did you let the polish and wax cure at all? Also, I thought you were using 303?

PaulMys
05-31-2022, 07:41 PM
I TRIED to explain to him that P&W was DESIGNED to be a base coat for the TW Ceramic Spray Coating and the Flex Wax.

I gave up at this point :poke:

Lmao.

Like I said, Don….

Invite him over to AGO so I can get a crack at this smart a$$. [emoji1][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don M
05-31-2022, 07:59 PM
Don can you describe the flex wax technique? Did you let the polish and wax cure at all? Also, I thought you were using 303?

I was using the 303, but decided to go back the Turtle Wax, because it's easier to use and has better water behavior.

I let the polish & wax cure for about 3 hours while I took a nap LOL. I have found that topping the Polish & Wax before 24 hours has NO ill effects on the topper product

The technique I use is really simple, you need an applicator and two microfiber towels. Spray the Flex Wax (or Ceramic Spray Coating, it works great with both) on the applicator and apply it to one panel (the hood and roof, I do in two sections).

Get one of the cloths wet and wring it out, you only need it to be damp enough to cut through and level the excess product. Take the damp cloth and wipe down the panel you just applied the sealant to, not hard, just lightly wipe it down and immediately buff the panel with the dry cloth.

What *I* do is wet wipe with one hand and follow along with the other hand and dry buff the panel, this makes it VERY fast and easy.

Move to the next panel and repeat until you're done. I go left side hood, left side roof, trunk lid, right side roof then right side hood. Then left fender, door, quarter panel, rear end, right quarter, door, fender then finally the front end and I'm done. Takes me an hour-give or take on the Camaro because I'me getting old and decrepit LOL.

You end up "touching" each panel 3 times, but using this method, there IS NO going back around the car looking for missed or high spots, you are DONE.

Hope this wasn't too confusing.

BTLew81
05-31-2022, 09:29 PM
Thanks. Interesting as I thought maybe the water would impact durability.

Don M
06-01-2022, 05:38 AM
Thanks. Interesting as I thought maybe the water would impact durability.

You're not using much water at all, the towel is only damp and besides, Turtle Wax themselves recommend doing this.

briarpatch
06-01-2022, 06:29 AM

There is some wisdom in this approach.....if you're really relying on the cutting ability of the polish component, so I can see there being a debate. If your approach and combination gave you the results you're looking for, and they look very nice in the pics, more power to you.

Don M
06-01-2022, 10:24 AM
There is some wisdom in this approach.....if you're really relying on the cutting ability of the polish component, so I can see there being a debate. If your approach and combination gave you the results you're looking for, and they look very nice in the pics, more power to you.

Having been 'neglected' since October it was in no shape for just a wash & wax, the paint needed cleaned first. And since IMO it passed the 'baggie test,' all it needed was a good polishing with a light polish or cleaner wax. In this case, the TW Polish & Wax fit the bill perfectly. Especially since Turtle Wax designed the P&W to be a base layer for their Ceramic and Graphene spray sealants.

I usually only polish the car once a year in the Spring and apply the Ceramic or Graphine monthly (or more LOL). Two years ago this is how I kept my car up and it got through an Ohio winter really well - on the top surfaces, the sides took a beating, but even after all that, with the first wash of the Spring, the water was still sheeting off the paint. Not great, but noticeably better than bare paint would.

So this combination & method definitely gave me the results I was looking for.