PDA

View Full Version : my list opinions/suggestions

98bmw323is
03-16-2006, 10:51 PM
I have created a list of products i will be buying in order to clean and maintain my cars finish. This list doesnt include any kind of polishers or buffing pads and i didnt include what kind of clay i would like either.

Tar + Grease remover - 3m tar = grease remover
Car wash shampoo - eagle one wet car wash
washing supplies - 2 buckets (1 soap+ water) (1 just water)
2 sheepskin mitts (1 upper half car) (1 lower)
1 the bone by cobra (for rims+tires)
quick detailer - z-6 ultra clean enhancer spray
leather conditioner - z-10 leather in a bottle
sealent - klasse all in one
LSP - pinnacle sig series 2 carnauba wax
pinnacle souveran paste wax (down the road)
vinyl+ rubber dressing - 303 aerospace protectant
microfiber towls -
glass - cobra waffle weave microfiber towel
drying - california jelly blade
guzzler waffle weave by cobra 16x24
door jambs/engine/wheels/random - cobra green all purpose mf towels (6 pack)
removing wax sealent - cobra miracle towel
applicator pads - 2 cobra mf applicator pads (1 applyin sealent) (1 for LSP carnauba wax)
wheel well cleaner - stoners more shine less time
tire dressing - poor boys bold n bright

well thats the list for now i know its not everything but just a basis. I really would like your opinon on the products ive choosen, but if you think you know a better product to use please tell.

thanks

PEI Detail
03-17-2006, 08:31 PM
I wouldn't call KAIO a sealant. I simply don't trust the acrylic protection it offers. It is a good chemical prep rpduct though.
For wheel wells, paint them, or get a cheeper dressing. Dressings last almost no time in there.

joe.p
03-17-2006, 11:02 PM
For a LSP you can get the DP max wax @ $19.00 this will save you some cash and then get some more products :D .

ScottB
03-18-2006, 09:20 AM
we were justing talking about Z6 as a Quick Detailer on the other site, and nobody suggests using it as such. Should be used a gloss increaser for their lines of sealants. (it works well on UPP also) So I would change your QD to something like Mothers Showtime, Poorboys Spray and Wipe or Megs Final Inspection if you will use to truly wipe up doo-doo and other contaminents.

98bmw323is
03-18-2006, 12:07 PM
well ill be using klass high gloss sealent glass as my sealent then putting the carnauba wax over it. If i get the Klasse all in one, should i apply this with a buffer instead of by hand or should i be fine doing this by hand?

ScottB
03-18-2006, 12:27 PM
well ill be using klass high gloss sealent glass as my sealent then putting the carnauba wax over it. If i get the Klasse all in one, should i apply this with a buffer instead of by hand or should i be fine doing this by hand?

thats the benefit of Klasse AIO ... by hand or by machine. If you have heavy oxidation then use the PC. I have used AIO without toppers and it offers fine acrylic protection for 4-6 weeks between coats also. Easily as durable as a wax but nowhere near the protection used with SG.

I have found that using SG in a small spray bottle (think travel size hair spray) works well. One spritz per panel and then quickly wiping until gone. If an area isnt removed properly, respritz and it comes right off. Funny thing, I find the exact same need using Werkstatt which was designed by Carlack the supposed designer of Klasse.

GregCavi
03-18-2006, 03:44 PM
Here is my thoughts on your list.

Tar + Grease remover - 3m tar = grease remover

Clay is probably the best way to remove car, but that will work.

Car wash shampoo - eagle one wet car wash

Get a higher quality, real soap, meguiars nxt is a pretty decent wash for the money.

You got it! You might want to look into grit gaurds as well. I always reccomend using at least 3 sheepskin mitts for a wash too. use one mitt for the upper portions, and then 2 to divide up the lower portions. I dont care for Cotton ,MF, or Synth mitts because I find they trap dirt. Make sure you have plenty of MF towels to dry your car, I would reccomend 2 or 3.

quick detailer - z-6 ultra clean enhancer spray

Not a big zaino fan so im no help here. I prefer other qd's like poorboys S+G and S+W.

sealent - klasse all in one

I would suggest some Poorboys EX

LSP - pinnacle sig series 2 carnauba wax

I would suggest Nattys Blue

microfiber towls -
drying - california jelly blade

Definatly a no, Any kind of water blade just causes scratches. I dont even know why these things are for sale lol.

door jambs/engine/wheels/random - cobra green all purpose mf towels (6 pack)

The cobra towels are excellent but dont waste you money on using them for door jambs. Get some cheap mf's at target or wal mart for the jambs and use the nice cobras on your paint, and windows.

removing wax sealent - cobra miracle towel
applicator pads - 2 cobra mf applicator pads (1 applyin sealent) (1 for LSP carnauba wax)
wheel well cleaner - stoners more shine less time

I would suggest buying a gallon of all purpose cleaner and then dilute it to the proper ratio. Use that to clean and then use the stoners stuff, but really you coudl use any cheap dressing for the wheel wells.

tire dressing - poor boys bold n bright

Greg

ScottB
03-18-2006, 06:17 PM
Tar + Grease remover[/U] - 3m tar = grease remover

A little hidden gem for tar and bug removal. http://www.autogeek.net/poorboys-bug-squash.html
also found Wd-40 always works well and is readily available in most households.

98bmw323is
03-18-2006, 11:44 PM
Im still alittle confused about the quick detailers.
I want to use a QD for wiping dust off the car and making the carnauba wax last longer.
But i also want to use it for if a bird craps on my car.
Is their a QD that meets both of these needs or do i need to buy 2 seperate ones? reccomendations?

thanks alot for the help

ScottB
03-19-2006, 10:04 AM
Im still alittle confused about the quick detailers.
I want to use a QD for wiping dust off the car and making the carnauba wax last longer.
But i also want to use it for if a bird craps on my car.
Is their a QD that meets both of these needs or do i need to buy 2 seperate ones? reccomendations?

thanks alot for the help

I would suggest two ... Mothers Showtime for cleanup or use a waterless wash. Crystal Mist for its carnuba benefits. I did a post a year back on Corvetteforum, but cannot find it. Best of the best in QD's. I broke them down into several categories. General Purpose, Carnuba Spray Waxes, and Gloss Increasers (typically used on sealants). Unfortunately this area (QD) is muddy as many products are meant to enhance shine more than clean paint.

Detail_Guy
03-19-2006, 10:30 AM
98bmw323is,

The others have given you some good suggestions, and the products you listed will probably work fine.

However, remember, the detailing process is all about process, procedure and prep... that's what concerns me about your list. You don't have any paint prep products... like clay, paint cleaner, or polish/SMR.

Place more emphasis on the "prep" work than products, and you will be extremely pleased with the results of "many" products.

Just my 2 cents.

98bmw323is
03-19-2006, 12:36 PM
yeah i know im just doing more research on exactly what there is for clays, pads, compounds and polishers.

98bmw323is
03-21-2006, 06:47 PM
So i decided to set up a list for my friend on what to buy. I will be buffing his car next month and i want him to get all the correct washing supplies now so after i buff it will keep his paint looking scratch free. Ive excluded sealents/wax/and wax applicators for now untill after i buff his car. So this is the list i need suggestions before i go and have him order all this stuff.

Tar + Grease remover - Poorboy’s Bug Squash
Car wash shampoo - Meguiars NXT Generation Car Wash
sealent – not yet
LSP – not yet
microfiber towls -
glass cleaner - stoners invisable glass
drying -
door jambs/engine/wheels/random – 12 cheap MF towels
removing wax sealent - not yet
applicator pads - not yet
wheel well cleaner/ tire dressing - stoners more shine less time
microfiber cleaner- Pinnacle Micro Rejuvenator Microfiber Detergent Concentrate 16 oz

I also need an opinon on the california jelly blade. I like it but i heard it scratches. As long as you keep it clean so no dirt gets on the edge when your drying shouldnt it be fine?

I also need a suggestion on a good clay.