PDA

View Full Version : Help:. Rock chips with sharp edges.

Pages : [1] 2

Bdubbs
05-04-2022, 04:33 PM
Hey guys!

So my Shelby GT 350 has two good sized chips that have sharp edges. Almost like more paint could eventually chip off.

I've never tackled wet sandpaper work. I was wondering about wet sanding, then fill with Dr Colorchip.

Or would I be better off making a claim with my insurance?

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220504/6ef7713a4087e5b93d6d53d27d32dba4.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220504/2fa5f5de812efed6a664a1814ca2d94c.jpg

Rsurfer
05-04-2022, 04:51 PM
Start with 800g and move to 1000 and finish with 2000. Use a sanding block and take your time. Clean out the chip with alcohol or lacquer thinner.

I don't think you can use the dab and smear method as the chip might be to deep.

If so, apply thin coats of paint and let dry overnight or longer if possible. Apply thin coats until the chip is filled slightly above the surrounding chip. This may take several days, be patient.

Start wet sanding as you did in the beginning. Don't know if Dr. Colorchip has clear in their paint or if you apply it separately.

Lightly compound and polish, reapply wax/sealant/coating.

edit: If the chip is small, I like to use sandpaper punched out and glued to a pencil eraser. In this way you can surgically sand the chip without sanding the surrounding paint and clear coat.

Rsurfer
05-04-2022, 05:09 PM
Hey guys!

So my Shelby GT 350 has two good sized chips that have sharp edges. Almost like more paint could eventually chip off.

I've never tackled wet sandpaper work. I was wondering about wet sanding, then fill with Dr Colorchip.

Or would I be better off making a claim with my insurance?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220504/6ef7713a4087e5b93d6d53d27d32dba4.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220504/2fa5f5de812efed6a664a1814ca2d94c.jpg

Why did you edit out the chip above your windshield?

Would your insurance company even cover isolated rock chips?

Bdubbs
05-04-2022, 05:39 PM
Why did you edit out the chip above your windshield?

Would your insurance company even cover isolated rock chips?More concerned about these ones. Maybe I can try to make the one above the windshield look better.

I'm not sure if they would or not. That's why I considered trying to fix myself.

vaca22
05-04-2022, 08:11 PM
This chip appears to be similar to the one I just repaired using Dr. ColorChip.

The videos on their website, to me, seem sloppy. What I mean is that they glob and smear paint all over the place, covering way too much the areas that don't need it. Maybe you have to do this if your area is peppered with chips. Mine was a single chip.

I found that using the squeegee removed too much of the paint, so I had to keep going back and reapply using various techniques until it came out right.

If you dab a drop of paint above the chip and let gravity do its thing and fill it like that, I think you'll have great luck at wiping away the excess with SealAct and leaving a really clean, even coat. Now, it won't be level with the rest of the car; you'll need at least 4 or 5 coats to achieve that, if not more.

I'm very happy with the way my chip came out, and I'll be doing a bunch more soon.

Bdubbs
05-04-2022, 08:20 PM
This chip appears to be similar to the one I just repaired using Dr. ColorChip.

The videos on their website, to me, seem sloppy. What I mean is that they glob and smear paint all over the place, covering way too much the areas that don't need it. Maybe you have to do this if your area is peppered with chips. Mine was a single chip.

I found that using the squeegee removed too much of the paint, so I had to keep going back and reapply using various techniques until it came out right.

If you dab a drop of paint above the chip and let gravity do its thing and fill it like that, I think you'll have great luck at wiping away the excess with SealAct and leaving a really clean, even coat. Now, it won't be level with the rest of the car; you'll need at least 4 or 5 coats to achieve that, if not more.

I'm very happy with the way my chip came out, and I'll be doing a bunch more soon.Awesome [emoji106].

I've used their products before, I like the gravity idea.

I wonder if wet sanding will make it smooth? Because it's got a sharp edge that doesn't sit flush. You could probably cut your finger on it.

vaca22
05-04-2022, 08:43 PM
Awesome [emoji106].

I've used their products before, I like the gravity idea.

I wonder if wet sanding will make it smooth? Because it's got a sharp edge that doesn't sit flush. You could probably cut your finger on it.

Ah, you did mention that. Sorry!

I'm thinking a very light sanding would do the trick, just to knock it down. I wouldn't go bananas with all types of sanding. Maybe even masking off a tight area all around the chip while you sand would work. No sense in dragging something abrasive over other surfaces that don't need it.

Bdubbs
05-04-2022, 09:01 PM
Ah, you did mention that. Sorry!

I'm thinking a very light sanding would do the trick, just to knock it down. I wouldn't go bananas with all types of sanding. Maybe even masking off a tight area all around the chip while you sand would work. No sense in dragging something abrasive over other surfaces that don't need it.Appreciate your help. I'll start with 2000 grit and go from there. Still waiting on my kit from Dr. Colorchip.

Tasmania
05-04-2022, 10:49 PM
Jump on over to Ammo NYC on YT he has a whole video on touch up.

Bdubbs
05-04-2022, 11:57 PM
Jump on over to Ammo NYC on YT he has a whole video on touch up.Thanks,

I found a good video from them. I think I'll give that method a try.

Epilogts
05-05-2022, 12:28 AM
I’ve had great luck with a strategy very similar to what 2black1s outlines in his great how to here Discerning Paint Chip Touch-Up; Not for Everyone or Every Chip (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-to-articles/125096-discerning-paint-chip-touch-up-not-everyone-every-chip.html)

MikeII
05-06-2022, 06:06 PM
Insurance will not cover rock chips unless it was something like a dump truck dropping its load on interstate and you ate the brunt of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dgage
05-06-2022, 06:57 PM
Insurance will not cover rock chips unless it was something like a dump truck dropping its load on interstate and you ate the brunt of it.

I’ve always wondered what happened to my wife’s minivan that we bought used. This is the best explanation yet. Either that or it was a backdrop for a dart board. :)

bourmb
05-06-2022, 07:35 PM
I tried west sanding a fix that I made and got carried away. Long story short… the door repaint completely fixed the scratch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanaDetailingPros
10-18-2022, 10:51 PM
I’m over due to touch up a ton of chips. I always did the toothpick or fine hobby model brush in the bast with marginal results. I’ve read allot of threads/posts about letting the paint dry.apply,sand and clear coat. My question is what everyone likes to use for dabbing? I was watching Ammo L. Recommending these. 75745