PDA

View Full Version : Ruined Powder Coated wheels?

Pages : [1] 2

SJTrance
05-02-2022, 01:51 PM
It seems that I may have ruined my freshly powder coated wheels. I had it done in a Prismatic Powders Wet Charcoal with their Clear Vision clear. After about three days following the powder coating, I got the wheels installed and took my car to the local hand wash. (best of the terrible options in my local area). I don't have a place to wash my car as I live in a apartment complex in Jersey City, NJ. I've done washes at this place many many times before with decent results. Whatever they used for the tire shine seemed to have slung all over the wheels and now, I cannot get them off. It seems almost etched into the wheels. Nothing reduces them. Soap/water, De greaser, Bug and tar remover, wheel cleaner, and even WD40. It reduced a little bit with a wax and rubbing compound done by hand. It seems like it would take forever for all the wheels. Do you guys have any ideas before I swallow the hard pill and get them re powder coated?

Eldorado2k
05-02-2022, 02:03 PM
Wax and rubbing compound? In that order?

glen e
05-02-2022, 02:09 PM
Go back to who did your powder coating and ask them what to do.

Eldorado2k
05-02-2022, 02:19 PM
Or go back to the car wash and try and blame them, which probably won’t work… Last resort and them what kind of crap do they use and then tell them to give you some so you could at least have even coverage. I’m kidding, but not really.

Desertnate
05-02-2022, 02:36 PM
Question for the experienced pros out there: If they are clear coated, couldn't you treat them like any other clear coated surface?

If so, I would use a MILD finishing polish, not a rubbing compound.

Would they bake the wheels to cure the clear coat? On a freshly painted car they tell you not to do anything for 30 days in order for it to be fully cured. In this instance if the wheels aren't baked I wonder if the nasty stuff has now been absorbed into the partially cured clearcoat.

glen e
05-02-2022, 02:51 PM
The clearcoat that is on a powder coated wheel is just another application of a clear powder coat, it is not the same as clearcoat paint. There are certain polishes made for this.

Can You Polish Something that is Powder Coated? (https://www.vanindustriesinc.com/can-you-polish-powder-coated-items)

Klasse Act
05-02-2022, 04:08 PM
OP, you can always to a RW or WW (see Mr. Bow Tie, I do endorse these types of washes...not directed at you OP). Also you could get the new version of the Worx hydroshot to clean the tires/wheels/wells out as well, if there's a will, there's a way[emoji106][emoji362][emoji779]️[emoji118]

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Eldorado2k
05-02-2022, 04:15 PM
OP, you can always to a RW or WW (see Mr. Bow Tie, I do endorse these types of washes...not directed at you OP). Also you could get the new version of the Worx hydroshot to clean the tires/wheels/wells out as well, if there's a will, there's a way[emoji106][emoji362][emoji779]️[emoji118]

How’s that going to fix the stains on his wheels though?

Klasse Act
05-02-2022, 04:17 PM
How’s that going to fix the stains on his wheels though?It's not but he said he takes it to this wash because he can't wash his car because of apartment living. Had he known about RW and WW this wouldn't had happened[emoji118]

Eldorado2k
05-02-2022, 04:35 PM
It's not but he said he takes it to this wash because he can't wash his car because of apartment living. Had he known about RW and WW this wouldn't had happened[emoji118]

I didn’t even consider that a pressing issue… That’s a blip compared to the stains on his freshly painted wheels. He’ll figure that part out easy, simply don’t go back to that car wash. Anything but back there. Lol.

Epilogts
05-02-2022, 08:28 PM
A quick call to the powder coater would be a good first step. Clear powder coating should be rock hard and should be fairly impervious to most chemicals if applied correctly.

I’d also contact the car wash directly ASAP and give them an opportunity to fix the problem…

Like I stated above powder coating is fairly bulletproof and results in a very hard surface, so if worst comes to worst, I would spend a little time with some fine polish and some microfiber. Anything that stained/etched the wheels should be able to be polished out.

Good luck and report back.

Klasse Act
05-02-2022, 08:34 PM
I do know iron remover isn't supposed to be used on powder coated rims. This might not apply here but might help someone in the future[emoji362]

Epilogts
05-02-2022, 08:52 PM
I also forgot to mention when you do get the wheels cleaned up I would put a wax/sealant/coating on the wheels as this won’t be the last thing to “attack” your wheels. You spent some money getting the wheels finished to your liking go the extra mile and spend the time applying a coating to protect that investment.

Tasmania
05-03-2022, 12:33 AM
I thought you would have to let them gas out a bit and the the paint do it's thing for a week or two

SWETM
05-03-2022, 05:48 AM
I'm not sure it's a solution for you. But the scratches seems to be due soft powder coating. I would contact they who powder coated them. If they baked them enough to get washed soon after. Or if it's needs to be cured longer to get the hardness they provide usually. It can be something that's on them. But it would degrade with what you have used I think. Don't know how it's in the US. But many of these wash stations can use very high caustic alkaline products to clean with. So if it's not scratches I think it's chemical staining you have got. Then it's polishing if it's not gone deep in the powder coating. And the powder coating can be really hard so you get to be really aggressive on them. It's hard to say where to go on by your self. As mentioned contact the powder coater and see what they think about it. And what to watch out for and not.

So sad when you spend money and then it goes like this. It's frustrateing so I feel with you man.

Skickat från min SM-T736B via Tapatalk