PDA

View Full Version : Finishing advice / coatings

Pages : [1] 2 3

Ben4
04-30-2022, 03:07 AM
Hi Folks,

I'm just finishing 2 stages on a car that wasn't great but is now looking pretty good :-)

I'm planning to finish with Wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant BUT I'm wondering a few things and I'd be grateful for any thoughts:

1) Given the amount of work I've put in, would I be better using GTeqniq Crystal Serum Light or EXO? I'm concerned as I've never used these and wouldn't want to make a mess! Also, despite my efforts I haven't gone to the extent of removing badges etc. so that pain is not perfect and these coatings are fussy (I believe?).

2) If I stick with Wolfgang, I was thinking I could put a Carnauba over the top but given Wolfgang only lasts 4-6 months, I will want to use a quick detailer in between and will want to re-apply Wolfgang later - does this mean Carnauba would be a bad move? (not sure about QD over wax and also not sure about reapplying even though highly likely carnauba would wear off before 4 months).

3) has anyone re-applied Wolfgang? Is it as simple as a good clean and re-apply or does it require a fine cut first to remove any old product?

THANKS!
Ben75200

The Guz
04-30-2022, 03:28 AM
CSL and Exo are some of the most user friendly coatings. After all this work I would go the coating route.

Klasse Act
04-30-2022, 04:54 AM
Coating is the way to go without a doubt! The self cleaning properties alone are worth it on a big SUV like that [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Markymapo
04-30-2022, 07:14 AM
I would go coatings route. Recently used WG Profi and BF ceramic coatings; wen on easy ( make sure you do all the prep work ). Big SUV’s really take a lot of time so get a sealant that will give you a good 18 months ( my F150 is a chore, ceramic coated n good for 2 years,easily)

Ben4
04-30-2022, 08:40 AM
CSL and Exo are some of the most user friendly coatings. After all this work I would go the coating route.

OK, thanks. I just need to grow a pair the :-)

Will it be an issue that a) the paint isn’t perfect and b) I’ve not removed badges etc

Ben4
04-30-2022, 08:41 AM
Thanks. Think I’m going to do CSL with EXO over the top!

Klasse Act
04-30-2022, 08:49 AM
OK, thanks. I just need to grow a pair the :-)

Will it be an issue that a) the paint isn’t perfect and b) I’ve not removed badges etcMake the paint as nice as you possibly can, even if it takes a little more time. Remember the coating is sealing in what you just did, semi-permanent. As fas as the badges go, just clean around them good, maybe use your soft detailing brush, blow them out and coat right over them[emoji6]

Klasse Act
04-30-2022, 08:49 AM
Btw do you have a panel wipe to use before the coating application[emoji848]

dlc95
04-30-2022, 09:01 AM
If you enjoy the tinkering with products, then sealants and waxes are fine. Some people enjoy the Sunday morning wash & Wax routine.

If you would rather not be tinkering with sealants / waxes, and would prefer to be able to just wash the car and have it look great for longer periods of time, and / or need / want the increased protection, go with a coating.

Ben4
04-30-2022, 10:03 AM
Btw do you have a panel wipe to use before the coating application[emoji848]

Actually that is a bit of an issue... I have some CarPro Eraser but I've read that I really need GTechniq Panel wipe as that is designed to completely strip the panel where eraser isn't. I REALLY don't want to make a mess with CSL, so I'm going to have to wait for the shops to open next week and get the G-panel wipe!

Do you think it'll be tricky to use CSL given I'm not taking badges off etc.?

Thanks!

Ben4
04-30-2022, 10:04 AM
If you enjoy the tinkering with products, then sealants and waxes are fine. Some people enjoy the Sunday morning wash & Wax routine.

If you would rather not be tinkering with sealants / waxes, and would prefer to be able to just wash the car and have it look great for longer periods of time, and / or need / want the increased protection, go with a coating.

Thanks - I'm defo doing CSL and EXO - as much as I like playing with the car, I have two kids and I don't have the time :-)

Klasse Act
04-30-2022, 10:13 AM
Actually that is a bit of an issue... I have some CarPro Eraser but I've read that I really need GTechniq Panel wipe as that is designed to completely strip the panel where eraser isn't. I REALLY don't want to make a mess with CSL, so I'm going to have to wait for the shops to open next week and get the G-panel wipe!

Do you think it'll be tricky to use CSL given I'm not taking badges off etc.?

Thanks!I wouldn't worry about the badges, just go around them, no worries. By the sounds of it since time is valuable to you, a coating is THE correct choice[emoji6]

Ben4
04-30-2022, 01:01 PM

Thanks - I’m going to do CSL and EXO. Do you reckon I’ll get two coats of exo on a Range Rover out of 50ml?
how long would you leave EXO between coats?

much appreciated!

Klasse Act
04-30-2022, 01:04 PM
Thanks - I’m going to do CSL and EXO. Do you reckon I’ll get two coats of exo on a Range Rover out of 50ml?
how long would you leave EXO between coats?

much appreciated!I think you should, as long you apply it thinly. Use 2 towels though, one to do the initial wipe and a 2nd to level it down, maybe a 3rd will be needed. Doing this right, with proper wash techniques, will keep that beast protected for 1-2 years, depending upon climate and maintence washes. Speaking of that, what's your plan for washing it?

luckydawg
04-30-2022, 01:46 PM
Hi Folks,

I'm just finishing 2 stages on a car that wasn't great but is now looking pretty good :-)

I'm planning to finish with Wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant BUT I'm wondering a few things and I'd be grateful for any thoughts:

1) Given the amount of work I've put in, would I be better using GTeqniq Crystal Serum Light or EXO? I'm concerned as I've never used these and wouldn't want to make a mess! Also, despite my efforts I haven't gone to the extent of removing badges etc. so that pain is not perfect and these coatings are fussy (I believe?).

2) If I stick with Wolfgang, I was thinking I could put a Carnauba over the top but given Wolfgang only lasts 4-6 months, I will want to use a quick detailer in between and will want to re-apply Wolfgang later - does this mean Carnauba would be a bad move? (not sure about QD over wax and also not sure about reapplying even though highly likely carnauba would wear off before 4 months).

3) has anyone re-applied Wolfgang? Is it as simple as a good clean and re-apply or does it require a fine cut first to remove any old product?

THANKS!
Ben75200

Myself
I would have asked those questions and made that decision prior to polishing-- so I could apply it immediately after for OPTIMUM results
Hope you at least park it in a garage until you get the products in. Also- the directions will tell you about time intervals.