PDA

View Full Version : Plunging into polishing

NoClue
04-12-2022, 05:03 PM
Hey gang, I'm back!

Thinking about doing a 1 step/all in one type polish. Was hoping to get some suggestions. My cars paint is good with light scratches, 99% cant catch with a nail or even see without a light. Not a ton either as I have taken good care of the paint. 15k miles on the car. Never did any polishing. Here is my plan:

Wash car with Dawn or ??
Clay car have Uber rinsless for this.
Rewash
Buy a Flex polisher. Needs to be cordless
Yellow foam 6" pad ??
Rupes Uno Protect or Sonax perfect finish. Really struggling with this choice.
Coat of wax

Thoughts, suggestions, tips?

Thanks

Silly Rabbit
04-12-2022, 05:44 PM
So if you use Uno Protect will you still put a coat of wax over it? Or will the wax play nice being a fresh coat of Uno Protect and it's sealant??

NoClue
04-12-2022, 06:14 PM
Should of been clear, if I do Uno, I will not add wax. Not until down the road.

And thanks for the help.

opie
04-12-2022, 09:59 PM
No dawn!! Lol id skip the rewash after claying as there is no point.

If you are going with any flex forced rotation tool might i suggest lake country hybrid force pads. Pretty much were made for that machine. I enjoy using them. I only use the orange and white. Unless your clear is hard as hell...the white will do you quite nicely

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

DFB
04-13-2022, 05:27 AM
]No dawn!![/B] Lol id skip the rewash after claying as there is no point.

If you are going with any flex forced rotation tool might i suggest lake country hybrid force pads. Pretty much were made for that machine. I enjoy using them. I only use the orange and white. Unless your clear is hard as hell...the white will do you quite nicely

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I agree to not using Dawn. There are plenty of strip soaps available, and they don't leave a residue like dish washing fluid does.

dlc95
04-13-2022, 05:36 AM
Perfect Finish will probably remove more defects, because if I remember correctly it has more cutting potential than UNO Protect. Perfect Finish will also allow you to let your wax bond directly to the paint without interference from the wax in UNO Protect - not that it should even matter all that much with wax. Perfect Finish would be my choice of the two.

Desertnate
04-13-2022, 07:30 AM
What type of car are you working on?

My advice for the polishes would be to have a couple choices available, i.e. a compound and a polish on hand. Since you've not done this before you need the flexibility to dial in what works best for the car. Even with experience, I go through the same process with every different car I encounter. With a couple different cut of pads and a couple different grades of polishes you can usually dial in the right combo for the results you're after. Also, even if you only need a polish, having a compound on hand always gives you the ability to spot correct a bad scuff of scratch somewhere down the road.

If Perfect Finish is anything like Sonax O4/06, I found it to be a good polish, but very light on cut. It works great on soft paint, but I haven't seen it offer much correction on anything I consider medium to hard.

luckydawg
04-13-2022, 12:34 PM
What type of car are you working on?

If Perfect Finish is anything like Sonax O4/06, I found it to be a good polish, but very light on cut. It works great on soft paint, but I haven't seen it offer much correction on anything I consider medium to hard.

Perfect finish with the rupes yellow pads dont cut much like you say- when they still had the green pads they would cut much better & still finished out good
I long for the days of the rupes green pads

If anyone has any unused out there and want to part with them-- i will take them

WhiteShadow89
04-13-2022, 05:01 PM
I am not a fan of Dawn…yes, I know you can use it safely if diluted properly…but just don’t. If it were me I would do the below:

Decon Wash:
-Shampoo: CarPro Reset - a ceramic ph neutral shampoo, but I have used it for decon washes plenty of times.
-Iron spray: Gtechniq w6
-Clay: Nanoskin lube and nanoskin autoscrub mitt.

Buffing products:
-Polishes: Sonax PF - best one step I have used and a great finishing polish if used for a two step. Super glossy.
-Compounds: Jescar’s Correcting Compound for medium to heavy defects. This compound cuts well, virtually zero dust and finishes well for a compound.
-Heavy Compound: Sonax Cutmax- for the nasty stuff.
-Pads: Rupes Yellow equivalent for use with sonax pf, Rupes blue equivalent for compounds. I would also say having something like Megs MF cutting pads is 100% worth it for the nasty stuff that may come along or are unaware of until you start buffing.
-Protect: If you are buffing your car I would recommend at least Gyeon CanCoat for your protection. Anything less is a waste of the effort put into the decon wash and correcting.

Edit: This is more than what you stated but it is a complete setup. Having variety is very important for…well…a variety of reasons lol. You will be happy with the above

Coatingsarecrack
04-14-2022, 03:18 AM
I like Car Pro Essence for light duty. I use with Griots Boss Yellow or orange pads.

With the force rotation of a flex I would do Essence with Lake country force hybrid pads.

I would order yellow and white.

Skip dawn and order some DP or Mckee’s coating prep soap. Both alkaline and should work well.

I personally would also through an Iron decontamination in the mix.

Lastly if looking into a full polish line I would look into griots BOSS creams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk