PDA

View Full Version : fun little FYI experiment

redeye797
04-12-2022, 10:44 AM
Still REALLY new to ceramics coatings. Working on 4 different cars. I started a couple different threads on prepping etc and the subject of shelf life came up. My bottle of Wolfgang Profi had been leaking slightly when it arrived so there is no way to know when it was first exposed to oxygen. Long story short, it dried up long before it was empty. Since it felt like there was a lot left in the bottle, I decided to cut it open. VERY sharp wood saw...didn't touch it! Hacksaw...dulled my hacksaw! Finally smacked it with a hammer and busted it open. There was about 1/16" of product stuck all the way around the bottle top to bottom. (Side note- Wolfgang support took good care of me).
With all the questions that I see about people worrying (myself included) about destroying their coating with toppers, washing etc, I decided to see what this stuff was capable of. Remember "a just for fun experiment"! The pieces I used were also 1/16" thick. About a billion times thicer than what is on your car. Like I said above, a hacksaw just dulled the blade! I took a small chunk and covered it in 91% isopropyl alcohol and let it soak overnight. Nothing! The edges were still razor sharp and no gooey or slippery feeling like it was dissolving.
The point? I am not nearly as concerned about toppers, waxes etc. harming my coating. (Granted, I won't be using a hacksaw to remove bird poo!) So far I don't see the need either. I have washed them, blow dried and made sure I had no water spots and the rigs look like new!
Not asking any questions, endorsing products or trying to tell people what the can do over their ceramic. Just "a fun little experiment" that I thought some of you would enjoy!

dgage
04-12-2022, 12:27 PM
I don’t think people are suggesting toppers harm coatings, they are suggesting it might mask the characteristics of the coating. Meaning, instead of the hydrophobics of the coating, you’re instead getting the hydrophobics of the topper. But to your concern, it is generally suggested that regularly using a topper in a coating should do the opposite of what you seem concerned about, which is to make the coating last longer.

And cool to hear about the dulling of the hacksaw blade. Not sure that means a coating really is 9H hardness but that’s pretty damn hard in my book. :)