PDA

View Full Version : First time with a ceramic coating- need advice

jrm523
04-11-2022, 07:32 AM
Hello everyone. Long time hobby detailer, first time ceramic coating user. I purchased Black fire pro black edition and have a few questions...

I spent 2 days paint correcting my black dodge Challenger. I prepped the roof panel and applied the coating. I'm having a hard time knowing when I should start wiping and how much coating I should use.

I realize I am supposed to wait for it to sweat before wiping. When I wipe on the coating. I am careful to go in a cross hatch pattern but the coating seems to be thicker on the side I started. Sweating starts to happen but very minimally and mostly where I started.

How evident should the sweating be before wiping?

I live in Atlanta, GA and the outdoor temps were approximately 60-70 with low humidity.

My other question is how do I know if I am applying too much or too little amount?

Thanks in advance!

dlc95
04-11-2022, 03:16 PM
I haven't ever used that coating, but the coating I use at work will bead up at the tail end of it's "easy wipe off". Anything significantly past that I'll need a chisel to remove it.

When I first started my co-detailer had me using a microfiber covered sponge. It put down way too much product, wasting it and a ton of time and effort. I've since switched to the supplied foam block and disposable applicator cloth. Ours aren't microsuede, but more like a synthetic silk. I like to apply a strip of product down the center, and reload with three or four drops - whatever I need to lay down a consistent film of coating without "slathering" it on. If I don't put down enough it's an absolute nightmare to get a consistent look. You need enough to "coat" the surface.

I also find that older cars with dried out paint sometimes requires a heavier application where conversely newer, fresher paints aren't quite as fussy.

Bobby B.
04-11-2022, 03:52 PM
Mike Phillips did an excellent review about two years ago.

Review & How-To: BLACKFIRE Pro Ceramic Paint Coating Black Edition (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews-by-mike-phillips/127084-review-how-blackfire-pro-ceramic-paint-coating-black-edition.html)

The Guz
04-11-2022, 09:44 PM
I have used it. The sweating effect is not as pronounced as something like Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light or Gyeon Mohs Evo. You don't need much to coat a panel. As long as you get it covered evenly then you use enough. If it is hard to wipe off it is either applied to thick or it has exceeded the flash time. You will have to find that balance which you will figure out as you work around the paint.