PDA

View Full Version : Clay

wesleyforbes
04-18-2008, 05:18 PM
Hello, I am new to all of this and have a question in regards to detailing clay. I will be eventually polishing and waxing my 2002 Passat and I know that it has never been done before :eek:.

My question is...should I clay it before I begin the polishing process?

carguy
04-18-2008, 06:19 PM
Hello, I am new to all of this and have a question in regards to detailing clay. I will be eventually polishing and waxing my 2002 Passat and I know that it has never been done before :eek:.

My question is...should I clay it before I begin the polishing process?

The condition of the paint matters, wash first, take a sandwitch bag put on your hand and lightly make a slow sweep on the hood. If the paint is dirty you should feel a bumpy feel, also go and inspect all areas of the car and look for overspray paint tar etc, that will make a difference. You will probably need a medium grade clay along with a clay lube. I use dp clay and lube, there are many others I'm sure others have there favorites to, good luck.:righton:

Jimmie
04-18-2008, 06:42 PM
If it has never been clayed, chances are it will need it. carguy gave you a good test.
And, yes clay before polish. This sequence: wash-clay-polish-protect.

Mike T
04-18-2008, 07:31 PM
:iagree::whs:

wesleyforbes
04-19-2008, 09:41 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses. Looks like I have yet something else to buy.