PDA

View Full Version : A Chemist answers your questions about detailing products

Pages : [1] 2

CleanIT
03-24-2022, 10:54 AM
A chemist answers your questions about detailing products! - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOHw0bweWEc)

Finally.

The Guz
03-24-2022, 01:23 PM
What are the cliff notes? I don’t watch this channel.

I unsubscribed from all other YouTube Detailers other than Wax Mode aka Loach.

noorth
03-24-2022, 05:28 PM
What are the cliff notes? I don’t watch this channel.

I unsubscribed from all other YouTube Detailers other than Wax Mode aka Loach.

The chemist is the director of R + D for B and B blending so it might be a good idea to lift your moratorium Mike haha For this one at least....:)

First note: Acidic washes are better for road salt. Interesting....i guess it will be a staple in my arsenal now. I'll probably end up using an acidic bucket wash more often then reset or maybe a an acidic pre-rinse followed up with reset...very interesting. Caveat i only wash my car 6 or 7 times a year lol. I know, i Know lol Usually i wash my car once a month during the "warmer seasons". But i work on a ship for 1mth at a time.

Second note: Pan is still a dumb ass.

Third note: The chemist claimed inorganic materials can't "regenerate" AKA self-heal. Coatings are inorganic.

Forth note: Coatings are specially designed for different surfaces, a coating that claims it can be applied to plastic, glass, paint etc is probably not the best choice. A "jack of trades" coating is probably less effective.

Fifth note: Iron removers can harm plastics if left to dwell. Also tar removers should be applied, agitated and rinsed off, no dwell time.

Sixth note: When asked what could the be the next big innovation in car detailing he said he "thinks" it will be ceramic coatings that don't require so much maintenance! I like this guy haha

Last note: Obsessed garage's drying aid is the same product has adams slick and shine.

CleanIT
03-24-2022, 06:42 PM
The UV protection part starts around 18 mins in. He also said he doesn't like to see Sio2 % because it's not relative. 44:15 he gets into beading/sheeting and surface tension. He doesn't like beading. Prefers sheeting but there are no chemistries available for that currently.

noorth
03-24-2022, 07:33 PM
One more comment i suspect Pan's channel is so big simply because he goes by the name of "Pan" for reasons i won't explain. Inquiring minds can look up the occult.

The Guz
03-24-2022, 09:12 PM
This is all o needed to know. Chris is a good chemist. Seen him on a couple of Adam live Facebook videos.

Beading vs sheeting. It will be an ongoing debate. Pros and cons with both.

noorth
03-24-2022, 10:03 PM
Chris seems like a good guy.

John U
03-24-2022, 11:22 PM
Beading vs sheeting. It will be an ongoing debate. Pros and cons with both.

Years ago I was a rep for a product from a company that also made car wax. They made two formulas, one for the USA that beaded and one for Europe that sheeted.... which is what they preferred.

CleanIT
03-25-2022, 10:14 AM
Once PPF becomes less expense I'll go that route.

Paul A.
03-25-2022, 10:18 AM
Superb video! Thank you, NJNinja!

I've always been drawn to the science of all this stuff.

Odrapnew
03-25-2022, 12:12 PM
Sixth note: When asked what could the be the next big innovation in car detailing he said he "thinks" it will be ceramic coatings that don't require so much maintenance! I like this guy haha

What does he define as 'so much maintenance?'

My ceramic coated Golf R got a wash about once a month and dry with a leaf blower.
I topped it with C2V3 maybe every couple washes...mainly to get the inevitable water drips (even with the leaf blower) that leave water spots.
Besides not washing it at all, not sure how to reduce maintenance, but maybe that's what he's hinting at?

oneheadlite
03-25-2022, 02:29 PM
Once PPF becomes less expense I'll go that route.

My big struggle with PPF is having seen too many cars where at first I think the paint job quality is junk (orange peel/small lines/waviness/etc), then I realize it's got full panel PPF.

It could just be whoever's doing the local BMW Dealer PPF jobs, but I've seen a handful of cars where it's turned me off on it.

CleanIT
03-25-2022, 04:37 PM
Good to know. I don't know much about it.

glen e
03-25-2022, 05:38 PM
You are correct, it’s important to look at PPF after a year or two, and getting it off is absolutely a chore… There are pluses and there are minuses…

noorth
03-25-2022, 11:43 PM
What does he define as 'so much maintenance?'My ceramic coated Golf R got a wash about once a month and dry with a leaf blower.I topped it with C2V3 maybe every couple washes...mainly to get the inevitable water drips (even with the leaf blower) that leave water spots.Besides not washing it at all, not sure how to reduce maintenance, but maybe that's what he's hinting at?I really don't know, maybe less toppers....i think that's what he meant.