PDA

View Full Version : Carpro vs sonax

Pages : [1] 2

nick27
03-18-2022, 12:31 PM
I’ve been tried and true with menzerna but will to shop around for new products. Looking to get a heavier cut compound was looking at ultimate cut from sonax or carpro ultra cut which one would u guys go for?

Rsurfer
03-18-2022, 03:16 PM
I’ve been tried and true with menzerna but will to shop around for new products. Looking to get a heavier cut compound was looking at ultimate cut from sonax or carpro ultra cut which one would u guys go for?

They are both great compounds, but I favor 3D One.

The Guz
03-18-2022, 03:41 PM
Haven't used Sonax Ultimate Cut but Cut Max is very good as is CarPro Ultra Cut.

Kamakaz1961
03-18-2022, 03:59 PM
If you want a Menzerna heavier cut there is FG300. As for Sonax and Carpro IMO you can't go wrong with either choice. I have been using Menzerna for years and will continue as IMO they are the best for me.

KEEP ON ROCKING!

dgage
03-18-2022, 04:03 PM
I like Griot’s Fast Correcting Cream but the other coarse one I’ve used most is Menzerna 400. Is that the Menzerna product you’re referring to? Menzerna feels a little oily to me and needs to be worked a little more before wipe off as compared to FCC but 400 has more cut but finishes nicely.

The other piece of this is getting cut with the pads and I like the Rupes Blue Wool coarse pad though I have mostly Buff & Shine Uro-Tech foam pads and many like the Uro-Fiber pad for coarse correction. So why you maybe looking for is a different pad, maybe not a different compound. By the way, I only started using the Rupes Yellow (med) and Blue (coarse) wool pads this past year and I’m kicking myself for not trying them sooner. They finish down well but can really remove defects quickly. My coarse foam pads rarely get called upon any more. And frankly, unless the car is bad, I can usually do a one-step with the Rupes Yellow wool pad and be done.

nick27
03-18-2022, 04:23 PM
Just wanted to get something abit more aggressive then fg400 wondered if cutmax was the step up or will it be ultimate cut? I will never have severely damaged paint either lol. I never tried carpro compounds either always stayed tried and true with the Germans

nick27
03-18-2022, 04:30 PM
Forgot to mention I will also be using it alongside a denim pad and possibly a microfibre cutting pad too!

dgage
03-18-2022, 04:30 PM
Just wanted to get something abit more aggressive then fg400 wondered if cutmax was the step up or will it be ultimate cut? I will never have severely damaged paint either lol. I never tried carpro compounds either always stayed tried and true with the Germans

The good news is you really can’t go wrong with any that we’re discussing and they probably have much more in common than they are different. I’m sure you could become proficient with any of them and get good results. And the results really require getting proficient with each product - how many dots of compound initially, how much product for the next set of passes, etc. good luck and I look forward to you sharing pictures of your work.

dgage
03-18-2022, 04:34 PM
Forgot to mention I will also be using it alongside a denim pad and possibly a microfibre cutting pad too!

Denim is supposedly pretty coarse so I’d recommend being careful. I don’t have any experience with denim but for paint that you say is in good condition, I wouldn’t necessarily recommend such a coarse pad with such a coarse compound. Microfiber cutting pads are decent but after switching to the Rupes wool pads, I can’t see myself going back to microfiber pads as the wool finishes so much better. And I have quite a few Meguiars cutting and fine microfiber pads.

Remember, paint is thin and clear coat is thinner. Only go as aggressive as you need to address the defects and no further.

98CayenneTA
03-18-2022, 04:55 PM
Massive fan of Menzerna, Carpro, Sonax & 3D but if I could only have one compound for the rest of my life it would be Carpro Ultracut

nick27
03-18-2022, 05:57 PM
Denim is supposedly pretty coarse so I’d recommend being careful. I don’t have any experience with denim but for paint that you say is in good condition, I wouldn’t necessarily recommend such a coarse pad with such a coarse compound. Microfiber cutting pads are decent but after switching to the Rupes wool pads, I can’t see myself going back to microfiber pads as the wool finishes so much better. And I have quite a few Meguiars cutting and fine microfiber pads.

Remember, paint is thin and clear coat is thinner. Only go as aggressive as you need to address the defects and no further.

I have some orange peel I need to address further I have done some 2k wetland lightly and then fg 400 over it I got rid of id say 50% of it but all I wanna do is try to match the factory orange peel which is another 15% to go. I opted for denim pad since I can use it on a da and adjust which type of compound I would need for this and I read that ultracut is the preferred one? not throwing shade on Sonax cuz I can opt to purchase that one as well!

dgage
03-18-2022, 06:19 PM
I have some orange peel I need to address further I have done some 2k wetland lightly and then fg 400 over it I got rid of id say 50% of it but all I wanna do is try to match the factory orange peel which is another 15% to go. I opted for denim pad since I can use it on a da and adjust which type of compound I would need for this and I read that ultracut is the preferred one? not throwing shade on Sonax cuz I can opt to purchase that one as well!

Ok. Now it makes more sense that this is a respray. Repaints are normally thicker but you still need to be careful with the thickness. Ideally you’d have a thickness gauge to validate thickness so you don’t go too far. The last thing I’ll say is be careful and go slow, meaning you will be better off with a little more orange peel than going through the clear coat. Good luck

nick27
03-18-2022, 06:25 PM
Ok. Now it makes more sense that this is a respray. Repaints are normally thicker but you still need to be careful with the thickness. Ideally you’d have a thickness gauge to validate thickness so you don’t go too far. The last thing I’ll say is be careful and go slow, meaning you will be better off with a little more orange peel than going through the clear coat. Good luck

correct I don't want perfection as im trying to save as much clear as possible. which compound between Sonax cut max and carpro ultra cut would u take in your arsenal to tackle this job without putting to much stress on the pad itself. will a microfibre cutting disc with a heavy compound remove orange peel as well?

The Guz
03-18-2022, 08:01 PM
Get yourself many denim pads. They load up fast.

dgage
03-18-2022, 11:05 PM
correct I don't want perfection as im trying to save as much clear as possible. which compound between Sonax cut max and carpro ultra cut would u take in your arsenal to tackle this job without putting to much stress on the pad itself. will a microfibre cutting disc with a heavy compound remove orange peel as well?

I have Sonax Cut Max and I like Menzerna 400 just barely better but if I don’t need that much cut I usually reach for Griot’s FCC. Regarding Sonax vs CarPro Ultra Cut, Ultra Cut is one I’ve wanted to try but haven’t ordered it yet. Either would would work so I’d go by price but since you seem to be a hobbyist as opposed to a volume professional, I’d probably go with CarPro Ultra Cut so you can give us your feedback on it. But really, any of the Menzerna, Sonax, CarPro, and others will be more similar than different in terms of capability.