PDA

View Full Version : Prep for Cancoat Evo

Pages : [1] 2

tim500
03-16-2022, 05:54 PM
I have a new car and I waxed it with Gyeon Q2wax. I want to switch to cancoat, what do I need to do or use to remove the wax so the cancoat bonds?

noorth
03-16-2022, 06:26 PM
I would contact wash it a few times with a high alkaline soap like carpro's lift and wait a few mths after application - most feedback i seen its about a 2-3mth wax. Lastly use gyeon prep.

Of course the best way to prep a car for a coating is machine polishing.

You can also just get something like purple power and spray down/rinse your panels 2 or 3 times over the course of a month.

I'm sure other people will chime in. Lots of ways to skin a cat as they say...

Bosko
03-16-2022, 07:05 PM
how long ago did you wax it with Q2?

I would wait until you get the most out of that wax, unless it is over 3 months

Why waste it if it's not that old in application

tim500
03-16-2022, 07:44 PM
how long ago did you wax it with Q2?

I waxed about a month ago. If I wait another 2 months then what are the steps?

The Guz
03-16-2022, 07:46 PM
Polish, panel wipe and CanCoat.

Coatingsarecrack
03-17-2022, 02:14 AM
Wait it out if you feel like it other wise as stated before polish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Guz
03-17-2022, 12:47 PM
You will be tempted to put Gyeon wax over CanCoat. I would advise against it. It is a nice product but it is one of the most regrettable things I did by topping a coating with it. As it starts to degrade it masks the beauty of the coatings hydrophobic behavior.

Stick with a ceramic spray sealant.

BudgetPlan1
03-17-2022, 02:37 PM
I have a new car and I waxed it with Gyeon Q2wax. I want to switch to cancoat, what do I need to do or use to remove the wax so the cancoat bonds?

When I was done playing with Gyeon Wax it came off (surprisingly easily) with Klean-Strip Prep-All which is available at many local auto parts stores; had only been on the hood for 1 or 2 weeks.

tim500
03-17-2022, 06:14 PM
When I was done playing with Gyeon Wax it came off (surprisingly easily) with Klean-Strip Prep-All which is available at many local auto parts stores; had only been on the hood for 1 or 2 weeks.

how long does a can last? does it need to be uses within a certain number of weeks before it goes bad?

BudgetPlan1
03-17-2022, 06:25 PM
how long does a can last? does it need to be uses within a certain number of weeks before it goes bad?The Kleen-Strip? I had a gallon sitting in my garage for 2-3 years. CanCoat can stay good for over a year if sealed well.

tim500
03-17-2022, 06:37 PM
You will be tempted to put Gyeon wax over CanCoat. I would advise against it. It is a nice product but it is one of the most regrettable things I did by topping a coating with it. As it starts to degrade it masks the beauty of the coatings hydrophobic behavior.

once the wax wears off wouldn't the can coat hydrophobic behavior come back?

Desertnate
03-18-2022, 08:05 AM

This would be my vote. Unless you want to polish it off like the Guz mentioned or try nuking it with chemicals like BudgetPlan suggested, I'd just wait it out and try a new product after the current one has worn away.

once the wax wears off wouldn't the can coat hydrophobic behavior come back?

It should, but it takes a pretty long time to be 100% gone.

noorth
03-18-2022, 09:41 AM

Thanks for this Mike, i was actually thinking of putting gyeon wax over my coating this year by machine just to use my polisher lol Assuming the coating held up, i won't know until the end of april. I mentioned it before i have the labocosmetica's 3PH system to try out when i get home. Sexy packaging which i always enjoy personally and they are suppose to be very nice smelling products in general like reset, one of my favorites. Their cleaning chemicals offer more value then carpro as well in Canada. Budget actually made me aware they were available in Canada.

tim500
03-19-2022, 06:44 AM
This would be my vote. Unless you want to polish it off like the Guz mentioned or try nuking it with chemicals like BudgetPlan suggested, I'd just wait it out and try a new product after the current one has worn away.

It should, but it takes a pretty long time to be 100% gone.

wouldn't Gyeon Prep remove the wax?

Desertnate
03-21-2022, 08:49 AM
wouldn't Gyeon Prep remove the wax?

No. All Prep is designed to do is remove the light oils and any other residue left behind after polishing. Prep, Eraser, or any other product of that type isn't anywhere close to being caustic enough to remove a sealant/wax from the surface.