PDA

View Full Version : Megs Wheel Brightener question

crash93ssei
04-18-2008, 08:43 AM
Well, it looks like the Megs WB is going to be the way to go for me for many of the super bad wheels I encounter.

My question is what all personal protective equipment should I wear or use while using this? I will not be using this all the time, maybe once a week or every other week, and it will be outside and well ventilated.

Thanks for the help

TOGWT
04-18-2008, 09:26 AM
Warning
Before using any chemicals or solvents, carefully read all of the cautions and medical information on the products container and / or MSDS. Always follow all of the manufacturer’s recommendations. Ensure that you wear eye protection and acid-proof gloves; this is mandatory. No matter how safe an acidic product is advertised, never run the risk of it splashing in your eye or it permeating your skin.

a) Acid is highly corrosive; the skull and crossbones warning on an acid label is there for a reason; acids will etch or erode anything in its path, they are also very effective in dissolving metals and etching glass.

b) Even a pH 5.0 acid with a dilution rate of 4:1 (as recommended by Meguiar's for their Wheel Brightener (Ammonium hydrogen fluoride [NH4] [HF2]) results in a pH 4.5 solution. The dilution of an acid doesn’t make it safer as the addition of a molecule of water to a chemical compound, without forming any other products is known as hydration reaction (increasing the acidity of the solution) dilution causes the pH to decrease But since pH is not a very good indicator of the strength of the acid in every system, this approach won't always produce the desired results.

Wheel surface Cleaning - Wheel Cleaners: - Detailing Bliss Forum (http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/f35/wheel-cleaners-1201.html)

trlblazer3
04-18-2008, 11:36 AM
I will always wear latex gloves to protect my hands (I do this with all products, not just WB). Otherwise, just be careful not to inhale the spray mist as your spraying. If you want you could wear a mask, but I don't go that far.

crash93ssei
04-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Thank you. That is pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

ScottB
04-19-2008, 08:48 AM
dilution is needed, be careful.

crash93ssei
04-19-2008, 09:36 AM
dilution is needed, be careful.

Yeah, 4:1 right? Also, I add the WB to the water and not the water to the WB. I have been doing alot of digging on the WB over the last few weeks since my first AG order and so last night I ordered up some wheel and tire brushes, Megs WB, DP gel wheel cleaner, some spray bottles, and a pro blend bottle proportioner.

I am sure everything will work out great like my last order did.

I plan to be very cautious with the Megs, and I actually have some old rims in my shed that I am going to sell if I can get them looking nice again. I will try the megs out on those first then go from there.

I tell ya... this site is going to break me some day:righton: Seeing results like I have been is VERY addicting :D

dsms
04-19-2008, 12:01 PM
I used it for the first time the other day on neglected bmw wheels, with that famous bmw brake dust and at 4:1 it cut through it no problem. I also have another bottle for milder wheel cleaning with 8:1 dilution. The stuff smells strong and I wore nitrile gloves when using it. I think if your careful and use caution its fine to use, just never on chrome or painted rims or wheels with heavy scratches. Anything that seems delicate or im unsure of the finish I always grab P21s gel.