PDA

View Full Version : Foam cannon / foam in general

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

luckydawg
03-05-2022, 11:18 AM
Probably gonna ruffle some feathers but I have never understood the infatuation with foam cannons & foam. I tried it a few times and have never seen the benifit or any difference from using it.

And here is the question I would like to see if i can get some responses to one way or the other---How many people can honestly say they see a significant difference when they use one?

And I could be wrong on this part but I dont see the established pro's using them. Dont recall ever seeing MP use them. How about the the pro's on here who regularly post and list all of their products & tooling-- I dont recall ever seeing a foam cannon or foaming listed.

Klasse Act
03-05-2022, 11:36 AM
It really matters what you put IN the foam cannon/gun[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Bill D
03-05-2022, 11:39 AM
It’s not the foam itself, but the lubrication a foam cannon or foam gun provides with its soapy solution. Use it in the way that I’ve been talking about and you will get great benefits

chilly
03-05-2022, 12:24 PM
It’s not the foam itself, but the lubrication a foam cannon or foam gun provides with its soapy solution. Use it in the way that I’ve been talking about and you will get great benefits

Your Avatar doesn't lie...

:xyxthumbs:

briarpatch
03-05-2022, 12:29 PM
It really matters what you put IN the foam cannon/gun[emoji6]

Precisely. If you want to use the foam cannon, or foam in general, as a prewash, you need to put something in the cannon/foamer that has sufficient bite to make a difference. Use with a product like Bilt Hamber AutoFoam, Bilt Hamber Touchless or Car Pro Lift, and you will see a difference. I only do that when needed. There are times when I will coat a car with foam for two reasons.....one is to provide additional lubrication, and two because it's fun.

chilly
03-05-2022, 12:42 PM
For what it's worth I remember at least one video with MP using a foam gun on a hose

That proves nothing either way

chilly
03-05-2022, 12:45 PM
And I could be wrong on this part but I dont see the established pro's using them.

Watch Jim White of White Details or Sandro at Car Craft wash a car if you want to see a "pro" foam a car

No offense to any of the pros on here but you don't get much more "established" than that

briarpatch
03-05-2022, 12:49 PM
For what it's worth I remember at least one video with MP using a foam gun on a hose

That proves nothing either way

You are correct. As a matter of fact, there is a photo if him using a foam gun in this thread:

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-to-articles/86146-aggressive-approach-washing-car.html?highlight=approach

chilly
03-05-2022, 12:55 PM
You are correct. As a matter of fact, there is a photo if him using a foam gun in this thread:

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-to-articles/86146-aggressive-approach-washing-car.html?highlight=approach

I have been talking to MP this week by PM on the 3D Forum on another subject, I will be sure to write him and tell him he is a hack...

Klasse Act
03-05-2022, 01:08 PM
Precisely. If you want to use the foam cannon, or foam in general, as a prewash, you need to put something in the cannon/foamer that has sufficient bite to make a difference. Use with a product like Bilt Hamber AutoFoam, Bilt Hamber Touchless or Car Pro Lift, and you will see a difference. I only do that when needed. There are times when I will coat a car with foam for two reasons.....one is to provide additional lubrication, and two because it's fun.[emoji457]

dgage
03-05-2022, 02:04 PM
Probably gonna ruffle some feathers but I have never understood the infatuation with foam cannons & foam. I tried it a few times and have never seen the benifit or any difference from using it.

And here is the question I would like to see if i can get some responses to one way or the other---How many people can honestly say they see a significant difference when they use one?

And I could be wrong on this part but I dont see the established pro's using them. Dont recall ever seeing MP use them. How about the the pro's on here who regularly post and list all of their products & tooling-- I dont recall ever seeing a foam cannon or foaming listed.

There are two parts to this.

One is the foam cannon (pressure washer) with a pre-rinse (stronger) foaming soap meant to encapsulate and remove some dirt prior to a contact wash. That helps some but still requires a contact wash. But that contact wash will have less dirt though harder to quantify how much it helps.

The second is the extreme wash method, which uses a foam gun (hose) and is constantly foaming while washing with a wash mitt so you’re getting constant lubrication and a water/soap mixture encapsulating and removing dirt.

Klasse Act
03-05-2022, 02:13 PM
There are two parts to this.

One is the foam cannon (pressure washer) with a pre-rinse (stronger) foaming soap meant to encapsulate and remove some dirt prior to a contact wash. That helps some but still requires a contact wash. But that contact wash will have less dirt though harder to quantify how much it helps.

The second is the extreme wash method, which uses a foam gun (hose) and is constantly foaming while washing with a wash mitt so you’re getting constant lubrication and a water/soap mixture encapsulating and removing dirt.Well when a car is legitimately dirty a contact was is in order BUT a high quality pre-wash soap can virtually eliminate all the dirt and what's left behind makes it so easy a cheap ass dollar store carwash would work (just for effect, none of us even have that, well maybe Chemical Guys)

dgage
03-05-2022, 02:32 PM
Well when a car is legitimately dirty a contact was is in order BUT a high quality pre-wash soap can virtually eliminate all the dirt and what's left behind makes it so easy a cheap ass dollar store carwash would work (just for effect, none of us even have that, well maybe Chemical Guys)

I’d say that depends on a lot of variables but based on various tests I’ve seen on here, with few exceptions, a contact wash of some sort is usually required to get a car CLEAN after a pressure washer foam cannon rinse.

I guess a question is are we talking truly clean or looks clean? I certainly wouldn’t dry my car with a towel and drying aid without having first done a contact wash. If I’m just blow drying the car then maybe a foam rinse is enough but that might leave a film eventually. Hard to quantify what is truly clean or clean enough.

UncleDavy
03-05-2022, 02:38 PM
Foam is fun. The foam gun eliminates the wash bucket as you are spraying foam directly on the surface. Using multiple wash mitts reduces scratches. The foam cannon is a prewash for me. Is it necessary? Probably not, but it sure is fun.

Klasse Act
03-05-2022, 02:49 PM
I’d say that depends on a lot of variables but based on various tests I’ve seen on here, with few exceptions, a contact wash of some sort is usually required to get a car CLEAN after a pressure washer foam cannon rinse.

I guess a question is are we talking truly clean or looks clean? I certainly wouldn’t dry my car with a towel and drying aid without having first done a contact wash. If I’m just blow drying the car then maybe a foam rinse is enough but that might leave a film eventually. Hard to quantify what is truly clean or clean enough.Good point but today my car was days dusty and I didn't need a towel to dry it. I used 1 oz of Bilt-Hamber Auto-foam and 32 oz of water in my brand new Griot's Garage hose foamer and no contact wash was needed. That said, legit dirt, I don't care what it "looks like" after a pre-wash with Bilt-Hamber Touchless or Auto-foam, I'm doing a 2BM[emoji56]