PDA

View Full Version : Tips on Removing a scratch on my hood

nmatthew
02-27-2022, 07:18 AM
Hello,

I guess someone dragged his/her hand across my hood and left this annoying scratch. I tried my best to keep my black soft paint to be swirl free and this happened.
My paint is corrected and coated not long ago.

Is it possible to get it removed by hand polishing on that particular spot? Any suggestions?

I don't have a polisher at home. My last choice would be to bring my car to the local detailer which will cost me a good amount of money.

PA DETAILER
02-27-2022, 07:36 AM
You could try...
Meguiar's SCRATCH X Fine Scratch & Swirl Remover is a rubbing compound that can be applied by hand. Meguiars ScratchX polishes away fine paint (https://www.autogeek.net/megscratxfin.html)

Should be OTC locally too.

opie
02-27-2022, 09:24 AM
My paint is corrected and coated not long ago.

I don't have a polisher at home. My last choice would be to bring my car to the local detailer which will cost me a good amount of money.

Id be irrate! Before you fix the scratch...how are you going to recoat the hood? Are you going to take it to said local detailer?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Bruno Soares
02-27-2022, 09:34 AM
If you still want the car to be coated it will have to be done again after polishing. Shouldn’t be a lot for a detailer to polish the whole hood and coat it again.

Bosko
02-27-2022, 09:48 AM
I believe any attempt to polish that mare out is just going to mare the coating making it worse.....especially by hand.
I don't care what product is used.
The hood needs to be re polished and coated again....

This is a PERFECT example of why I personally do not care for coatings...my $0.02

PA DETAILER
02-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Now that I rethink it, being it was coated, agree. Just have them polish the hood and recoat it.

luckydawg
02-27-2022, 10:58 AM
Like the rest have stated
Machine polish and re-coat the entire panel

Other wise its not gonna turn out good and you will just end up being upset and saying-----

"Man!, wish I would have just had it polished and re-coated"

dieselfan1
03-02-2022, 05:15 PM
I believe any attempt to polish that mare out is just going to mare the coating making it worse.....especially by hand.
I don't care what product is used.
The hood needs to be re polished and coated again....

This is a PERFECT example of why I personally do not care for coatings...my $0.02I'm kind of the same thinking.
I paid big buck to have my Buddy do ceramic coating my last truck when it was new.
Within a few months I had tree sap get on it. Took the coating with it trying to remove it. Then I got some water spots that were impossible to remove.
I basically had to polish the whole truck to get rid of the spots.
Coating was gone after that. Not even 6 months later. Waste of $1600 in my book.
After that it was just wax and it worked fine.
My buddy said he would do both my new trucks for $2000.
I told him pass. I can do it myself now . If I choose to coat them.
I'm thinking I like to wax them so I can buy a lot of wax for 2G.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Coatingsarecrack
03-03-2022, 05:00 AM
I'm kind of the same thinking.
I paid big buck to have my Buddy do ceramic coating my last truck when it was new.
Within a few months I had tree sap get on it. Took the coating with it trying to remove it. Then I got some water spots that were impossible to remove.
I basically had to polish the whole truck to get rid of the spots.
Coating was gone after that. Not even 6 months later. Waste of $1600 in my book.
After that it was just wax and it worked fine.
My buddy said he would do both my new trucks for $2000.
I told him pass. I can do it myself now . If I choose to coat them.
I'm thinking I like to wax them so I can buy a lot of wax for 2G.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Look into CanCoat. Great protection, applies like a sealant. If you get the itch to wax just use Gyeon Wax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk