PDA

View Full Version : VW Paint-suggestions?

BTLew81
02-23-2022, 03:44 PM
Hopefully will be picking up a new gli in pure gray or a medium blue in the next couple of months. If I can find one that is in transit, I am hoping to be able to prevent the dealer from touching it. I am hopeful, but not betting on it.

it’s been a few years since I owned a vw. What polish/compound/pad would you suggest for minor to moderate defects? One step preferable, as this will be a daily driver.

thanks.

Bruno Soares
02-23-2022, 05:55 PM
I don’t know about the Jetta but the GTI I own has hard clear. To fix anything other than marring it needs a microfiber pad and something like Jescar Correcting Compound. I’m sure Rupes yellow wool would work well too but I never tried. For finishing I like Rupes yellow pad and Carpro Essence. If you’re trying a single step and your paint is also hard, Rupes yellow wool with their DA fine might very well be enough to correct and finish in one.

crg001
02-23-2022, 06:32 PM
I have a '19 GLI in Pure Grey. Wonderful car. I absolutely love it.

Like Bruno said, the VW clear is a bit hard. What kind of polisher will you be using?

In my first go of polishing the car I used Griot's BOSS Correcting Cream and needed to step up to a B&S Uro-Fiber pad to cut down the defects with my ol Harbor Freight polisher. But mine was purchased used and HEAVILY swirled. If you manage to procure a beautiful new GLI and skip the dealer prep, I would say microfiber will not be neccessary.

I just polished the GLI again recently in preparation for a new coating of CQuartz UK + SiC and used Buff and Shine Dark Blue Uro-Tec pads and CarPro Essence with my Makita forced-rotation polisher. That combo was enough to take down the marring of ~15 months of daily driver abuse and plenty of washes.

I would aim for a medium-stiffness pad like the B&S dark blue or a Lake Country Orange flat pad, and use a polish that has some versatility like Sonax Perfect Finish, Griot's Correcting Cream, or 3D One. Because the paint is harder, the stiffer pad and one-step polish will still finish out beautifully. If you plan on coating afterwards, I can certainly recommend Essence and CQUK 3.0 as they are super user friendly and the resulting gloss is wonderful.

Edit: a pic :xyxthumbs:
https://i.imgur.com/TdKdMpO.jpg

Epilogts
02-23-2022, 08:19 PM
I also own a VAG (Audi) vehicle and would recommend the yellow Rupes wool pad paired with Carpro Essence. It’s a nice combo, foam won’t much on that clear. Share some pics.

crg001
02-23-2022, 08:31 PM
I also own a VAG (Audi) vehicle and would recommend the yellow Rupes wool pad paired with Carpro Essence. It’s a nice combo, foam won’t much on that clear. Share some pics.

Ooh, I haven't tried those yet. Would probably match well with the Makita, you like the way those pads finish in one step?

BTLew81
02-24-2022, 12:28 AM
Thanks all. Very helpful!

The Guz
02-24-2022, 12:52 AM
What products do you have in your possession?

Desertnate
02-24-2022, 08:39 AM
When I owned a black Mk6 GTI, my favorite combination was Blackfire's Compound with a white Lake Country Flat or ThinPro pad. This allowed me to do a one-step polish on mild defects very easily.

The Blackfire compound isn't as aggressive as some, and when paired with a white LC pad provides about the right level of cut, yet it finishes out perfectly for a one-step job.

dlc95
02-24-2022, 09:24 AM
Menzerna 2500.

Buff and Shine Uro-Fiber, and Uro-Tec Yellow.

This will give you a couple of options, as the Uro-Fiber will cut more, and the yellow foam can finish better. You might be able to get the job done with one or the other, but if not, you have another option.

I've been using 3D ONE more lately with those pads, but the Menz 2500 has always been favorite for it's ability to correct and finish on a wide variety of paints.

Sonax Cut and Finish is another great one.

986DTM
02-24-2022, 09:57 AM

Haven't tried it on a VW/Audi but I second this combo for hard(er) paints.

BTLew81
02-25-2022, 01:17 PM
I got the car yesterday. Weather was terrible and the dealer had washed it. Ugh. Got it washed and looked at my arsenal. After having Hondas for several years I had mostly mild polishes. Took a chance and used an orange hydro tech with bf aio. Did a great job. Had to work a few spots a bit, but looks good. It’ll get a full detail once the weather warms up for good, but for now it looks good and I got most everything ironed out.

Finished with 303 graphene. Looks good on this color.

BTLew81
02-25-2022, 01:18 PM
I have a '19 GLI in Pure Grey. Wonderful car. I absolutely love it.

Like Bruno said, the VW clear is a bit hard. What kind of polisher will you be using?

In my first go of polishing the car I used Griot's BOSS Correcting Cream and needed to step up to a B&S Uro-Fiber pad to cut down the defects with my ol Harbor Freight polisher. But mine was purchased used and HEAVILY swirled. If you manage to procure a beautiful new GLI and skip the dealer prep, I would say microfiber will not be neccessary.

I just polished the GLI again recently in preparation for a new coating of CQuartz UK + SiC and used Buff and Shine Dark Blue Uro-Tec pads and CarPro Essence with my Makita forced-rotation polisher. That combo was enough to take down the marring of ~15 months of daily driver abuse and plenty of washes.

I would aim for a medium-stiffness pad like the B&S dark blue or a Lake Country Orange flat pad, and use a polish that has some versatility like Sonax Perfect Finish, Griot's Correcting Cream, or 3D One. Because the paint is harder, the stiffer pad and one-step polish will still finish out beautifully. If you plan on coating afterwards, I can certainly recommend Essence and CQUK 3.0 as they are super user friendly and the resulting gloss is wonderful.

Edit: a pic :xyxthumbs:
https://i.imgur.com/TdKdMpO.jpg

What wheels are those? I believe they are a vw OEM, but can’t recall the name. They look awesome on the car.

crg001
02-25-2022, 01:55 PM
Sounds like a decent finish. Post some pics! I had Hondas before this car as well so I know what you mean!

My wheels are Audi "Rotors" from a B8 Audi S4, 19x8.5" ET 35 (I think) on 255/35 tires. I got them from a coworker on the cheap and had them powder coated with Prismatic "Mohave Grey", a recreating of VW's Island Grey from the older Passat. The colors blend pretty nice :)

BTLew81
02-25-2022, 10:22 PM
So it’s come to my attention that I need to get some new pads for my gg6. The orange hydro tech worked well, so I am inclined to stick with those for my once or twice a year removal of wash marring. There are also the b and s uro cell.

Thoughts? Other suggestions?

dlc95
02-26-2022, 08:18 AM
So it’s come to my attention that I need to get some new pads for my gg6. The orange hydro tech worked well, so I am inclined to stick with those for my once or twice a year removal of wash marring. There are also the b and s uro cell.

Thoughts? Other suggestions?

I like both the Hydrotech and the Uro-Cell.

If you like the Hydrotech you might want to stock up a bit, because LC doesn't have them on their site. AG still has a good stock, but other vendors are either not restocking or they're no longer being manufactured.

I like the Uro-Tec, personally.