PDA

View Full Version : Finally, some relief!

Excessive Detail
07-19-2006, 07:45 PM
For the past few weeks I had begun to question my skills as a detailer, I had been struggling with the concept of swirls and how to prevent them, I did a few cars and they came out okay, but I wasn't really happy with them, my customers loved them, but to me something was missing. In addition, I had been scared to use clay for a while, because I clayed a car and it left marks< plus I had been worried aboutmy washing techniques. So last night I couldn't take it anymore, so I washed my one of my parents car, clayed, then put a coat of exp. Then I went to experimenting, I tpaed off one section of the hood, because it was flat and it was easier to look at, then I broke out my d/a and an edge green pad and ssr 2.5, followed wioth edge white pad and ssr 1, all I can say is, "holy $%#$, it was perfect, I had never gotten a car to look that good, no swirls at all, I mean 100% removal, except for deep scratches, I then put some more exp, then I reclayed that spot with a somewhat used bar and it left no swirls, I actually clayed the same area about 3 times and still no swirls, I was feeling so much better. I haven't been able to wash it, but I'm pretty sure I'm back in the groove. That section even looked perfect at night under a street light, which I always think is the best proving ground for your car, any pareking lot or street with light, you know the ones I'm talkin about. What I realized was that I wasn't taking my time or using the right amount of polish on each section I polished, I was kinda rusing it, I should have listened to you guys, anyway I am happy to say that I am feeling a lot better with my detailing and I can't wait to do some more.
I do have one question, after I used the ssr 2.5 and green pad I noticed some very very fine swirls, you could barely see them, it looked like they were from the polishing I just did, they went away with the ssr1, but was this from using such an agressive compound or is it normal when polishing?
Thanks guyz.

Neothin
07-19-2006, 07:58 PM
congrats!

what you saw is known as hazing. It's a common occurence when using harsher polishes and compounds. It's cure is to follow up with a light polish; exactly what you did.

Excessive Detail
07-19-2006, 09:52 PM
Thats what I figured, I just wanted to make sure. Is that from the pad or the polish or both?

BILL
07-20-2006, 06:48 AM
Thats what I figured, I just wanted to make sure. Is that from the pad or the polish or both?

id say both.......the heavier the pad n polish the more hazing.......finish with a white pad and finishing polish thats what i did and it vanished....;)

its called J-WELING the finish.......

scooterguitar
07-20-2006, 08:36 AM
Sometimes when I use the green or the yellow pad, it hazes with a stronger polish or compound, those coarser pads almost always will leave little marring behind too. As said above, follow with a smooth blue or white finishing pad and finishing polish and they go away. Although once in ahwile, I can use a compound and event he yellow pad and the dang thing looks good enough, must be the type of paint on some cars or whatever, but Is till follow with a finishing pad/polish no matter what.