PDA

View Full Version : Finally getting started (fog light install)

Don M
02-20-2022, 12:26 AM
I'm doing the hard part first and working from the inside out ... running the interior wiring to the engine bay. I already have a switch from some LEDs that I ran a few years ago installed in the dash (to the lower right of the steering column) that blends nicely with the dash panel. So I cut off the switch that came with the kit and spliced blade connectors to the wires so THAT part is done and I ran the switch wires under the dash. Still not sure if I'm going to try and go through the firewall, or just use the opening near the footwell that the wiring for the door goes through.

I'll probably just go through the footwell opening, and run the harness along the inner fender to the radiator support, but from the looks of the harness, I may just have to splice in a few more feet of wire so it's long enough to reach the passenger side light.

I know, rewiring the switch and running the harness doesn't seem like I got very much accomplished, but seeing how my garage is 1) unattached and 2) UNHEATED and the temps today were in the teens with a wind chill of - OMG IT'S COLD, I don't think I did too bad. :laughing:

Phase 2 is going to be installing the lights and bezels in the bumper cover and running the external harness back toward the firewall.

luckydawg
02-20-2022, 12:37 PM
I hate working in the cold- it would be like working in a refrigerator

bill walsh
02-20-2022, 12:46 PM
just retired after working outside for over 50 years in northeast

Don M
02-20-2022, 07:35 PM
I hate working in the cold- it would be like working in a refrigerator

LOL, it was more like working in a deep freezer. By the time I got done with what little I did, my hands were numb. Fortunately I'm off work Monday - Wednesday and it's supposed to be in the 50s at least one or two days. Long enough to get the job done.

JDGolden
02-21-2022, 07:31 AM
Good on you for the motivation to work like that in winter. I’ve had to work on my old snowblower in the middle of winter and it’s miserable. Dexterity goes out the window when it’s cold like that.

Don M
02-22-2022, 06:10 PM
ONE FREAKIN WIRE!!

That's all that's stopping me from having functional lights. I have one wire that needs to go to a switched power source in order to activate the relay to turn on the lights. If I touch the wire to the positive post under the hood, the lights come on, BUT .... I'm having a hell of a time trying to feed it through the door grommet or find an easily accessible "on in 'run' " source under the hood to splice it into....

ONE WIRE!!!!

****EDIT****

Nevermind...I looked at the right front turn signal bulb and there are three wires - a ground / hot for parking light and hot for turn signals. Once I figured out which wire was what....SUCCESS!
Now the fogs come on with my parking lights (no they don't blink with the turn signals LMAO).

Being that it's late and I have to go into work for a few hours, I just hacked it in. I will clean it up tomorrow during the day.

Don M
02-23-2022, 04:22 PM
Installed, they come on automatically with the parking lights.