PDA

View Full Version : Gloss black roof

zefer
01-26-2022, 12:52 PM
So I have a 2017 Lexus 200 CT. I have a red car with a gloss black roof. I wonder if someone could advise me on how to proceed with a 2 step correction ? Shall I treat the roof as with the rest of the car ? I don’t want to put any product on the roof till I have a idea of how to treat it. I can not see anywhere inconspicuous to do a test spot ? I won’t touch it till one of y’all chimes in with experience or ideas

Eldorado2k
01-26-2022, 01:34 PM
How would you categorize the defects on it as it sits? Minor, moderate, or severe? Any pics?

If it was me, and the defects/swirls are currently minor, I’d do everything I could to leave it be and simply apply protection for as long as I could before it actually needs correction.

But besides that, it’ll be just like gloss black b-pillars. Compound/ polish as you would the paint. Sometimes polish is all that’s needed, proceed with caution.

glen e
01-26-2022, 03:29 PM
A simple finishing polish like Meguires 205 , using a soft pad on an orbital , and then the sealant of your choice….

zefer
01-26-2022, 05:12 PM
Thank you I was going to use the griots boss creams. The paint is in very good condition. I am a rookie when it comes to working with a polisher. I have the G-9 And lots of assorted boss pads. I have read tons about the process and procedure and have a few hours practicing on a few old body shop throw aways.It's my wife's car and it's been well cared for per common sense and lots of time on the forum learning and finding what works for me.I will let you know how it goes

Eldorado2k
01-26-2022, 05:21 PM
The paint is in very good condition.

Based on what it sounds like, I’d just maintain/protect it in good condition.

Worst case scenario that gloss black surface is too soft to even polish… If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Rsurfer
01-26-2022, 05:35 PM
Ceramic coat it for maximum protection.