PDA

View Full Version : Road Salt Remover / Neutralizer ?

Pages : [1] 2

TroyScherer
01-25-2022, 12:39 PM
I have been around for quite awhile and one thing that I keep looking for and think that Autogeek is missing in their “Winter Car Care” section of their offerings is a Road Salt Remover / Neutralizer.

Being in Ohio and dealing with road salt issues every winter has me looking for an option for something to add to my cleaning routine to make the job safer and better. I don't see myself moving south anytime soon due to work and family so coming up with a solution would be great.

I have read about distilled white vinegar mixes that could be sprayed on and used to help remove salt. I have also heard of an Optimum ONR/MDR mix that would possibly do something similar. (1oz ONR / 2-4oz MDR / 1 Gal Water)

Klasse Act
01-25-2022, 03:04 PM
Auto-Fanatic has a couple vids on this[emoji118][emoji362]

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Klasse Act
01-25-2022, 03:06 PM
Maybe try Bilt-Hamber Touchless or Auto-Foam to see where that gets you too, worth a try[emoji106][emoji106]

TroyScherer
01-25-2022, 06:53 PM
I know it’s an option but I’m not a big fan of using the pay and spray car wash. In the winter it’s far enough away that everything freezes on the way home after use and I dislike having to pay $2+ per use just to try and spray things down.

Due to the crazy directions for use on Bilt-Hamber Touchless, I don’t really have any desire to try and use that. To much work.

I guess I was thinking that an easy pre-spray product that I could spray on before doing a regular or rinse-less wash would be ideal to help get rid of the bonded salt.

umi000
01-25-2022, 07:23 PM
I know it’s an option but I’m not a big fan of using the pay and spray car wash. In the winter it’s far enough away that everything freezes on the way home after use and I dislike having to pay $2+ per use just to try and spray things down.

Due to the crazy directions for use on Bilt-Hamber Touchless, I don’t really have any desire to try and use that. To much work.

I guess I was thinking that an easy pre-spray product that I could spray on before doing a regular or rinse-less wash would be ideal to help get rid of the bonded salt.

The instructions for Touchless are likely the way they are because every foam cannon dilutes product differently, so they can’t give a standard dilution ratio. If you were willing to use it in an IK foamer, it would be a lot simpler - for a PIR of 4%, mix at 1:24 product:water.

Prange
01-25-2022, 07:53 PM
Whip's Wax makes a salt remover. I tried spraying it on before going through the touchless. It gets the salt off, but it needs agitation or it leaves a film. The touchless didn’t remove the film. I didn’t have time to remove it manually.

It then got too cold, snowed again, now I have a salt-covered car. Later in the week, it’s going to warm a bit. I may give it another go.

Klasse Act
01-25-2022, 07:56 PM
I added 4 oz to 1.5 gallon in my IK Foam 9 and it worked great, the Bilt-Hamber Touchless melted 3 weeks of salt muck away. The PIR ratios are really something but I have a Griot's Garage foam gun and it looks like its going to be 25% product/75% water to start, so 8 oz to 24 oz water. That might be a bit high but I'm starting there and experiment from there. I think for routine washes where I might do a RW or WW, I might be able to lower it to 5-6 oz, we'll see.

Don't be intimidated by Bilt-Hamber [emoji56]

opie
01-25-2022, 08:06 PM
Holy hell that green lettering hurts my eyes! Lol but seriiusly makes it hard for me to read

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

MisterSnoop
01-25-2022, 08:25 PM
I have been around for quite awhile and one thing that I keep looking for and think that Autogeek is missing in their “Winter Car Care” section of their offerings is a Road Salt Remover / Neutralizer.

Being in Ohio and dealing with road salt issues every winter has me looking for an option for something to add to my cleaning routine to make the job safer and better. I don't see myself moving south anytime soon due to work and family so coming up with a solution would be great.

I have read about distilled white vinegar mixes that could be sprayed on and used to help remove salt. I have also heard of an Optimum ONR/MDR mix that would possibly do something similar. (1oz ONR / 2-4oz MDR / 1 Gal Water)

For easier readability

MisterSnoop
01-25-2022, 09:28 PM
I just saw 303 makes a salt neutralizing wash boost. Not currently listed at Autogeek but they do sell 303 so maybe in the future?

Coatingsarecrack
01-26-2022, 03:12 AM
Bilt Hamber AutoFoam or Touchless should make light work of road salt but does need to be ised with a PW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcjredline
01-26-2022, 05:44 AM
So have you TRIED the ONR/MDR mix and didnt like it?

Don M
01-26-2022, 09:24 AM
I just saw 303 makes a salt neutralizing wash boost. Not currently listed at Autogeek but they do sell 303 so maybe in the future?

Just saw the ad for this on Face Book.

TroyScherer
01-26-2022, 09:38 AM
So have you TRIED the ONR/MDR mix and didn't like it?

I have not used it yet. I am planning on trying it on my next wash.

I like the idea of this type of mix and product so I don't have to pull out and use a pressure washer if I don't want to. I always use my PW outside so in the the cold I don't like using it due to the ice I create.

Azure
01-26-2022, 12:06 PM
Bilt Hamber AutoFoam or Touchless should make light work of road salt but does need to be ised with a PW.

I'm a afraid to operate my PW in the winter months. I have a detached, unheated garage and have to bring mine inside over the winter. I'm interested in something I could use with just the hose as well as OP.