PDA

View Full Version : Tire coating prep for new tires

Pages : [1] 2

jlindyman
01-16-2022, 01:11 PM
New conti’s on my charger, going to use optimum tire coating on them.

Washed and cleaned them with megs gold / Adams tire and rubber cleaner using drill bit brush, will wash and clean at least be more time prior to applying coating.

How long should I wait before applying coating? Something about the new tire off gassing?

Thanks for any advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rsurfer
01-16-2022, 01:27 PM
I don't think the tires release gases like a new interior does, but rather has a mold release agent that causes browning of the tires.

I find Tuf Shine tire cleaner to work great. Keep scrubbing until the soap is white.

Some say to wait a few weeks before cleaning and coating.:dunno:

dgage
01-16-2022, 01:59 PM
What Rsurfer said.

Tuf Shine Cleaner is good. Stoner’s Tarminaror is also a good one to use before a tire cleaner to reduce the number of cleanings. 303 Tire and Rubber Cleaner is supposed to be another strong tire cleaner. Realize that you might have to clean the tire 5-7+ times to get it not to turn brown. May want to clean the tire until it doesn’t turn brown, then wait 2 weeks and do it again, then apply the coating.

The Guz
01-16-2022, 03:36 PM
I would clean them weekly until that mold wax release is completely gone. I never used that tire coating so I don't know how it reacts to any mold wax release still left. The Mckee's tire coating for example would turn brown. Not noticeable upon application but after a few miles drives. You could try some stoners tarminator as well after cleaning the tire.

John U
01-16-2022, 03:56 PM
Tuff shine helps. I throw everything I have at them. Full scrub, next. Full scrub, next. etc
Usually there is a gummy type substance left that I wipe off with a solvent soaked rag. Then repeat above.

fly07sti
01-16-2022, 07:12 PM
What I do when I coat tires is wipe them with a rag and some kerosene. (Really cuts through the crud) Then I follow up with a dedicated tire cleaner.

glen e
01-16-2022, 07:30 PM
I put on one of armourall’s coatings a couple years ago that was supposed to be one of their first coatings, and it was terrible …..it was splotchy it and flaked I don’t remember what it was called, I called armor all to complain and they agreed that it was probably reacting to something on the tire, I tried taking it off with kerosene and some other products, And it didn’t work …..I called them back and they said that I should use stoners Tarminator, it worked like a charm and brought me back to Virgin rubber.

Eldorado2k
01-16-2022, 08:03 PM
I put on one of armourall’s coatings a couple years ago that was supposed to be one of their first coatings, and it was terrible …..it was splotchy it and flaked I don’t remember what it was called, I called armor all to complain and they agreed that it was probably reacting to something on the tire, I tried taking it off with kerosene and some other products, And it didn’t work …..I called them back and they said that I should use stoners Tarminator, it worked like a charm and brought me back to Virgin rubber.

Are you talking about that Outlast spray coating? I tried that too and the results were a mess.

glen e
01-16-2022, 08:12 PM
Yes that’s it, terrible product, there wasn’t really anything on the wheel that I could tell that reacted with it , it was just a mess

and although I don’t like things that don’t work properly, I REALLY don’t like things that don’t work properly and then turn semi permanent so that you can’t unwind it…The other one that comes to mind like that is the original recipe of carPro reload, a total cluster to get off after it went on splotchy…..

Eldorado2k
01-16-2022, 08:37 PM
Yes that’s it, terrible product, there wasn’t really anything on the wheel that I could tell that reacted with it , it was just a mess

and although I don’t like things that don’t work properly, I REALLY don’t like things that don’t work properly and then turn semi permanent so that you can’t unwind it…The other one that comes to mind like that is the original recipe of carPro reload, a total cluster to get off after it went on splotchy…..

I never experienced that 1st batch of Reload, but I know exactly what you mean as far as that spray on coating.. Right about that same time there seemed to be several competing products such as Megs Ultimate Black Restorer in a spray can and that too was 1 of those products that turned semi permanent and was fairly easy to get wrong and if you did good luck trying to remove it. Friggin nightmare. Lol

jlindyman
04-04-2022, 08:13 PM
Update

Finally coated the tires about a week ago, maintenance wash today, pic is after wash

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220405/3fb6868c55589ca6b0028cc98e446f06.jpg

Pretty happy with the look, more matte than glossy, cleaning today was a breeze, will see about durability.

Could I top the tire coating with opti tire gel? Or reapply coating as needed?

dgage
04-04-2022, 09:03 PM
Update

Finally coated the tires about a week ago, maintenance wash today, pic is after wash

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220405/3fb6868c55589ca6b0028cc98e446f06.jpg

Pretty happy with the look, more matte than glossy, cleaning today was a breeze, will see about durability.

Could I top the tire coating with opti tire gel? Or reapply coating as needed?

Which tire coating? Usually if you apply another coat of a tire coating such as Tuff Shine, it will add some more gloss. But as has been mentioned, you would have needed to clean the tire really well ahead of time for the coating to last.

jlindyman
04-04-2022, 09:12 PM
Optimum tire coating

I applied it last week, just wondering what I should apply after a maintenance wash, if anything

Eldorado2k
04-04-2022, 11:30 PM
That’s the pic 1 week after applying?

You’re really not supposed to apply anything on top of it. If it’s a coating it’s supposed to look good and last a long time. I’ve never tried the Optimum Tire Coating though.

The Guz
04-05-2022, 12:01 AM
Optimum tire coating

I applied it last week, just wondering what I should apply after a maintenance wash, if anything

Nothing. That’s the point of a tire coating.