PDA

View Full Version : Newbie’ish / 2018 Black Silverado 2500 High Country Swirls.

Mikem3574
01-08-2022, 08:28 PM
Hey everyone. So I just picked up a new truck last week and it’s got swirls all over it. Started working on it this morning.

I’m definitely no expert at paint correction but I had a black F150 before this truck and I’ve done a couple corrections on it.

So I knew it was going to be a 2 step process. I have some 3D One left over and also a bottle of Rupes Uno Finish Polish (which I really like) but I wanted to try something new. Guy at the local detail shop took a look at my truck and recommended I try a Meguires Microfiber combo. It included some cutting pads, finishing pads, D300 compound and finishing wax. I knew I wasn’t gonna use the finishing wax but I got it anyway.

I started with the D300 test spot and wasn’t thrilled with the results. I knew that the likelihood of a cutting compound getting me results in 1 step ( like dude told me it would) was very low. The D300 left a lot to be desired and left some marring behind also. I followed it up with the Rupes Uno and it came out “ok”.

Are my expectations set too high? Is it possible to get heavily swirled and spider webbed black paint back to 100% correct? I used a Griots G9 with the microfiber pad and then a 3D finishing pad with the Rupes. These are the results:https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220109/d5ad5281221eacfbe8d65648ba769516.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikem3574
01-08-2022, 08:28 PM
Hey everyone. So I just picked up a new truck last week and it’s got swirls all over it. Started working on it this morning.

I’m definitely no expert at paint correction but I had a black F150 before this truck and I’ve done a couple corrections on it.

So I knew it was going to be a 2 step process. I have some 3D One left over and also a bottle of Rupes Uno Finish Polish (which I really like) but I wanted to try something new. Guy at the local detail shop took a look at my truck and recommended I try a Meguires Microfiber combo. It included some cutting pads, finishing pads, D300 compound and finishing wax. I knew I wasn’t gonna use the finishing wax but I got it anyway.

I started with the D300 test spot and wasn’t thrilled with the results. I knew that the likelihood of a cutting compound getting me results in 1 step ( like dude told me it would) was very low. The D300 left a lot to be desired and left some marring behind also. I followed it up with the Rupes Uno and it came out “ok”.

Are my expectations set too high? Is it possible to get heavily swirled and spider webbed black paint back to 100% correct? I used a Griots G9 with the microfiber pad and then a 3D finishing pad with the Rupes. These are the results:https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220109/d5ad5281221eacfbe8d65648ba769516.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220109/9df9f03ab35e81895508b91e83b5e45e.jpg

627PCFan
01-08-2022, 09:18 PM
I wouldn't go D300 and microfiber. I'd go white lake city with Menz 2500 and step it up to orange if you needed to. That would about get you to a 1 step. Hit it with menz 3500 if you needed to.

Microfiber has its place but might not be the right pick for a newer dark GM paint.

Mikem3574
01-08-2022, 09:21 PM
I wouldn't go D300 and microfiber. I'd go white lake city with Menz 2500 and step it up to orange if you needed to. That would about get you to a 1 step. Hit it with menz 3500 if you needed to.

Microfiber has its place but might not be the right pick for a newer dark GM paint.

Those pics were the results after I used the D300 and Rupes. If the D300 was unable to lift those swirls/webs, would Menzerna 2500 have enough cut?

opie
01-08-2022, 09:32 PM
D300 and a mirofiber on a free spinning tool does usually yeild great results. Clearly you need something with more cut. Do you have any other compounds on hand?

And imo runnin any foam pad on a free spinning tool will not give you as good as cut as runnin mircofiber cut pads

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

627PCFan
01-08-2022, 09:35 PM
And imo runnin any foam pad on a free spinning tool will not give you as good as cut as runnin mircofiber cut pads

But ditching the microfiber might help him ditch the micromarring.

opie
01-08-2022, 09:38 PM
But ditching the microfiber might help him ditch the micromarring.Oh im sorry bud, then yes you would be correct.

when I read the posts i took it as those defects still remained after the d300 and the polish step didnt remove said defects

Mikem3574
01-08-2022, 09:50 PM
D300 and a mirofiber on a free spinning tool does usually yeild great results. Clearly you need something with more cut. Do you have any other compounds on hand?

All I have on hand is some 3D One and a Griots Compound that doesn’t have a ton of cut.

I could pick something up though. What about Meguires 110? Do I need a specific compound if I still wanna use the microfiber pads? Or can any compound work with them? Thx.

Mikem3574
01-08-2022, 09:55 PM
Oh im sorry bud, then yes you would be correct.

when I read the posts i took it as those defects still remained after the d300 and the polish step didnt remove said defects

That actually is what happened. The webs were there before the compound and polish. The polish did remove the marring. In my limited experience, I’ve never really been able to do a 1 step on my black vehicles unless it was just extremely light marring that a finish polish could remove. Even 3D One and a 3D finish pad would leave marring.

opie
01-08-2022, 10:05 PM
All I have on hand is some 3D One and a Griots Compound that doesn’t have a ton of cut.

I could pick something up though. What about Meguires 110? Do I need a specific compound if I still wanna use the microfiber pads? Or can any compound work with them? Thx.

I cant comment on megs 110, the griots or 3d one as ive never used them.

Hopefully someone with many more years of experience can comment and help ya out without picking up more products.

Have you tried the 3d one with the microfiber pad to see if it had enough cut to remove the deeper defects?

And no you dont need specific compounds for microfiber pads.

It might be possible that the defects are just do deep to remove with a free spinning tool?

dgage
01-09-2022, 03:45 AM
Did you use the D300 Compound with the cutting microfiber? How many passes did you do? You’re wasting your time with Uno Pure because you haven’t gone aggressive enough to get most of the swirls out. And yes paint is thin but those swirls don’t look deep. I wouldn’t correct often like this but I think it is safe to correct that marring and then of course be careful how you wash/touch your paint.

But back to the polishing, you may need to spend a little more time with D300 and the cutting microfiber. I don’t see any evidence of the microfiber causing mars because you still haven’t removed the original scratches. So I’d stop worrying about the micromarring from microfiber because your issue is the original scratches. I’d do some more passes with D300 and a cutting microfiber pad and see what you get. If you need to go stronger and want to get something local then I’d recommend Griot’s Fast Correcting Cream as that is a very good compound. And maybe pickup some Griot foam cutting and polishing pads if they have them local. But microfiber can work very well so I wouldn’t necessarily give up on those yet. And if you have an air compressor, that is the best way to clean microfiber and one of the reasons I do like microfiber pads, you can clean very well and cool the pads at the same time, which you can’t do with foam.

And I’ve got quite a bit of experience with the microfiber pads. Even with a coarse polish and the Meguiars cutting microfiber pads, you’d have to spend a long while on the same panel to cause damage unless your paint is incredibly thin. And I’m assuming a free spinning DA like a Griot’s GG6 or G9. If you have a rotary or forced-rotation polisher the that is a different beast and you always need to be careful if you’re not experienced.