PDA

View Full Version : Problem when prepping for Uber spray coating - suggestions?

Aludd
01-02-2022, 10:29 AM
I'm prepping a nearly new car to apply Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Spray Coating, and following directions I cleaned the surface with Wolfgang Perfekt Finish Paint Prep. What I've found is that the Perfekt Finish Paint Prep is leaving a film behind. It's really noticable on some piano black trim and tinted windows. After doing a bit of experimenting, I've confirmed it's the Perfekt Finish prep that's causing the issue, not somrthing that was already on the surface. If I get the window nice and clean with a glass cleaner and then clean a section with Perfekt Finish, the streaky film comes back. Sprayway glass cleaner (alcohol based) seems to remove the film best, but IPA works as well.

I can't see the film on the paint in my garage, but I'm not sure if it would be noticeable in different lighting. It seems wrong to be applying a coating if the surface isn't perfectly clear. The piano black trim looks terrible after the Perfekt finish.

The Wolfgang instructs say to us the Perfekt Finish before applying the ceramic spray coating, so I don't know if there's supposed to be some reaction between the two.

So do I reprep using IPA to clean everything? Trust that I won't see the film when I get the car outside (raining now, so can't check)? Or??

Thanks!

opie
01-02-2022, 10:47 AM
I'm prepping a nearly new car to apply Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Spray Coating, and following directions I cleaned the surface with Wolfgang Perfekt Finish Paint Prep. What I've found is that the Perfekt Finish Paint Prep is leaving a film behind. It's really noticable on some piano black trim and tinted windows. After doing a bit of experimenting, I've confirmed it's the Perfekt Finish prep that's causing the issue, not somrthing that was already on the surface. If I get the window nice and clean with a glass cleaner and then clean a section with Perfekt Finish, the streaky film comes back. Sprayway glass cleaner (alcohol based) seems to remove the film best, but IPA works as well.

I can't see the film on the paint in my garage, but I'm not sure if it would be noticeable in different lighting. It seems wrong to be applying a coating if the surface isn't perfectly clear. The piano black trim looks terrible after the Perfekt finish.

The Wolfgang instructs say to us the Perfekt Finish before applying the ceramic spray coating, so I don't know if there's supposed to be some reaction between the two.

So do I reprep using IPA to clean everything? Trust that I won't see the film when I get the car outside (raining now, so can't check)? Or??

Thanks!Never used the wolfgang so can't say for sure, but personally i would just use the ipa or some form of surface prep, whatever you have.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

CleanIT
01-02-2022, 11:29 AM
Some paint preps also have lubricants and detergents in them in addition to some percentage of alcohol. Two brands that specifically state that there are far better chemicals to use than alcohol are Bilt Hamber and Optimum. Although per msds Optimum does use alcohol. Bilt Hamber is naptha based. But to your point, it's probably not significant enough to cause a bonding issue I would think. :dunno: I noticed Gyeon Prep did the same thing on our black electric stove.

Aludd
01-02-2022, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the replys!

I'm not as worried about bonding issues as I am that I'll find that I will see the streaky film in the paint after the coating is on. In my garage it shows up clearly on the black trim and windows, but not on the grey paint. I'm concerned I'll find that in different lighting it will show up on the paint as well.

CleanIT
01-02-2022, 12:04 PM
I didn't even think of that good point.