PDA

View Full Version : What's the best DA

Pages : [1] 2

CAdetailer
12-29-2021, 02:14 PM
Been using the Chicago Electric (HF) DA for 8 or so years and it finally kicked the bucket (it fell off a bucket and broke the body in two internally) so it's time to get a new one.

Not new to Polishing, started on rotary's back in the day, spent 8 years on the HF doing a couple cars a year. I just bought the GG 5" vented backing plate for the HF DA and it runs much cooler than the old Meg's I smoked on a boat gel coat. I'm also running Buff & Shine 5" flat reticulated pads so I'm fairly set up in the backing plate, pads, and product departments.

No production work all personal stuff that is generally well maintained but has a lot of real estate (1 black SUV, 1 mid sized sedan, 1 full sized Ram extra cab long bed with camper shell, 30 foot box trailer with 750 sqft aluminum enamel panels (no clear coat) + 250 sqft of roof, 30 ft boat, 22 ft boat. I really only do serious correction when something new comes in to the family as it's usually some clapped out piece of crap I'll fix & clean up. Most of my polishing is light contaminant removal and light clean up or thin enamel on aluminum panels with no clear coat.

Based on this I'm looking at the GG6 ($80) or the GG9 ($100) or the GG15 ($250). If I can plastic weld the body back together on the HF DA I'll keep it and run it with some 3" backing plates and pads I have for reaching smaller spaces. If I can't I'm also looking at a PC 7424 ($80) and a small pad/ back up machine.

From my research the GG6 and the GG9 are basically the same machine??? 6 has slightly less throw (8mm), power, & rpm range BUT does higher rpms (2800-6800) VS. 2000-6400 so these and the PC 7424 are pretty similar/ grouped together and the GG15 kind of stands on its own because of the throw?

Given what I use this for, how often I use it, what I already have, and what I can get these for what machine(s) would you recommend based on experience not what you think is best (I can guess for myself)?

P.S. I already have a rotary with wool pads set up so the really heavy lifting is done with that.

P.P.S. I was looking at the Flex 3401 but it seems like it a heavy correction focused machine and would probably eat right through my trailer panels in a hot second, so I'm thinking that's out?

Thanks

dgage
12-29-2021, 02:19 PM
GG9 is way better than the GG6 in every way: power, smoothness, features. But I haven’t used the GG15 to compare. So I’d say the GG9.

But I hated dealing with the cord so I went with the Flex family of polishers and love the CBeast (Cordless Beast, XCE 8-125).

msharpe785
12-29-2021, 02:52 PM
Earlier this year....decided to upgrade my 10 year DA. Have 3 medium suv's plus a 26 foot boat. Was tired of pad stall and wanted to improve my overall results. Took the plunge and purchased the Supa Beast (FLEX XCE 10-8 125 corded version) and also got the 6 inch backing plate. What an upgrade.

Bosko
12-29-2021, 04:59 PM
Based on this I'm looking at the GG6 ($80) or the GG9 ($100)

Thanks
Where are you coming up with these prices?

PaulMys
12-29-2021, 06:02 PM
Where are you coming up with these prices?

Yeah. The G9 is $159 just about everywhere, and with the GG6 discontinued, I have seen them going on Amazon for up to $220.

UncleDavy
12-29-2021, 06:11 PM
I have both the GG6 and the GG9 and the biggest differences are power and smoothness. The G9 has more comfortable grip and it runs a lot smoother with less vibration. The GG6 has an 850 Watt motor and the G9 has a 1000 Watt motor.

luckydawg
12-29-2021, 06:16 PM
Cant see myself buying a polisher made in chyna
Pay a little more and get superior quality tool like the Rupes duetto & cut out the commies

MisterSnoop
12-29-2021, 06:41 PM
Yeah. The G9 is $159 just about everywhere, and withe the GG6 discontinued, I have seen them going on Amazon for up to $220.G9 recently got a price bump to 169 so finding one at 159 would be a deal.

PaulMys
12-29-2021, 06:43 PM
G9 recently got a price bump to 169 so finding one at 159 would be a deal.

Thanks, Snoop.

The longer you wait................... ;)

dcjredline
12-29-2021, 09:43 PM
Bah ha ha ha, there is no BEST.

Bruno Soares
12-29-2021, 09:56 PM
No such thing as best DA. However, there is such thing as best warranty. If you care about being taken care of after 1 year, the only choice is Griot’s Garage. If you only want one machine, get the G9. If you think you could use two, get the G13 and G15.

CAdetailer
12-29-2021, 10:41 PM
No such thing as best DA. However, there is such thing as best warranty. If you care about being taken care of after 1 year, the only choice is Griot’s Garage. If you only want one machine, get the G9. If you think you could use two, get the G13 and G15.

There is a "best" given my situation, that's why I provided so much info. Basically is it best to get a G9 or a G15 & PC?

Don't want to believe the latest hype on the G9 and buy something that doesn't work for my needs.

opie
12-29-2021, 11:03 PM
There is a "best" given my situation, that's why I provided so much info. Basically is it best to get a G9 or a G15 & PC?

Don't want to believe the latest hype on the G9 and buy something that doesn't work for my needs.For what its worth, my buddy uses his rotary for heavy work and used a harbor freight da to clean up for years till it just shat the bed. He bought a g9 and loves it

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

dlc95
12-30-2021, 01:09 AM

Don't want to believe the latest hype on the G9 and buy something that doesn't work for my needs.

If the PC is in the running, I'd go with that all day long.

Get a 3" plate and some pads... you're golden.

I still use mine a lot more than I probably should, being that I have an assortment of Rupes and Flex tools.

Find an old pre "XP". Way smoother, and maintains rotation better, especially at lower speeds.

It could be that I'll end up with the PC 7424, Flex 3401, and the Rupes Nano.

dlc95
12-30-2021, 01:11 AM
Cant see myself buying a polisher made in chyna
Pay a little more and get superior quality tool like the Rupes duetto & cut out the commies

That is my favorite polisher from them.