PDA

View Full Version : Conditioner for coated leather?

Pages : [1] 2

emaxxman
07-19-2006, 06:18 PM
I have two Honda's (98 Accord and 05 Odyssey). They both have coated leather. I don't know what the coating is but I've read that it's most likely vinyl. I confirmed that I have coated leather by putting a few drops of water on them and they did not absorb into the leather (especially the Accord.)

Was that a proper test to determine if the leather was coated or not? If not, then what is a good test?

If the leather is coated and water won't even absorb into it, then how do I condition the leather to keep it from cracking?

Is there a specific product for coated leather?

Is there even any real-world difference between coated vs non-coated leather when it comes to the cleaning and care of them?

I'm currently using Meg's Leather Cleaner/Conditioner spray to clean the leather. I use Meg's interior brush to gently scrub the dirt off. After it's dry, I apply some Lexol conditioner to the seats. These are what I got before I got into detailing. They're almost done so I'd like to understand what type of conditioner I need when I go to order more.

My Accord's driver's seat is very cracked from years of using leather cleaner without conditioner ( I didn't know any better.:() I want to avoid this with my new Odyssey.

ScottB
07-19-2006, 06:46 PM
even coated leather needs protection from the elements, UV protection is the main issue. Several products can be used, just buff well to remove any residue. You could even use 303 protectant over coated leather.

emaxxman
07-19-2006, 06:54 PM
But does any of the conditioner actually make it into the leather itself for coated leather?

ScottB
07-19-2006, 07:10 PM
they claim yes .... but I am no scientist. You will however never make a coated leather anywhere near as soft and supple as uncoated leather. Most seem to care more about having leather feel better, than the benefits of UV protection which will keep leather looking newer longer.

joe.p
07-19-2006, 07:15 PM
I did mine on the park Ave and yes there was a noticable difference . you can use woolite & water mix as a cleaner then use a conditioner of your choice.

Suave conditoner works good J/K :)

supercharged
07-19-2006, 08:41 PM
I had a 2000 TL before, and Wolfgang leather conditioner works wonderful. Same goes for Pinnacle. It will keep it soft and new when used regularly.

emaxxman
07-19-2006, 09:56 PM
they claim yes .... but I am no scientist. You will however never make a coated leather anywhere near as soft and supple as uncoated leather. Most seem to care more about having leather feel better, than the benefits of UV protection which will keep leather looking newer longer.

I've noticed that my Accord's leather does feel softer and more pliable ever since I started using the conditioner. Whether that's purely mental perception or reality, I don't know. I do know that the newer Honda's have much more supple and soft leather. I want to make sure it stays that way.

emaxxman
07-19-2006, 10:45 PM
I did mine on the park Ave and yes there was a noticable difference . you can use woolite & water mix as a cleaner then use a conditioner of your choice.

Suave conditoner works good J/K :)

I used to only use the Meg's leather cleaner/conditioner for a wipe down. I recently used woolite and water on my Accord's leather since it felt so much like vinyl. It is an ivory interior and the back seats were filthy from the kids. After two hours of misting with the woolite, gently scrubbing with a brush, and wipe down with a moist mf towel, the leather looks brand new.

I'm still using the Meg's for the Odyssey. It's softer and more supple so I wasn't sure if the woolite would damage it or not. I'll probably use a dedicated leather cleaner with the brush for the Accord. I'll then followup with a conditioner.

I still not sure what to use for a conditioner though. I have no problem spending the money on Pinnacle or Wolfgang if I could be sure that it would absorb in the leather. I would hate to spend that money and then just have it evaporate or rub off on to people's clothes.

abrcrombe
07-19-2006, 11:50 PM
You could try the leatherique kit on your accord to try to bring it back some. Killr said don't expect miracles though, but it is worth a shot. I am going to try it in a month or so, but if you do it before me, let me know how it turns out. (I have coated leather too)

Meghan
07-20-2006, 07:58 AM
In the meantime you should at least put 303 on the leather to prevent further damage.

aceshigh73
07-20-2006, 08:18 AM
Can someone reccommend a "brush" you can use for leather cleaning? Im having a hard time visualizing what kind of brush is appropriate....

Thanks

Driven Auto Detail
07-20-2006, 09:37 AM
I use a 6:1 mixture of water & Woolite to clean the leather in my our cars. Then I condition it with Pinnacle Leather Conditioner. This stuff is awesome. The last time I used it, I decided to use my hands to apply it instead of one of those little yellow foam pads. It worked much better. I felt like I could work it into the leather much better. Both cars turned out great. I was especially impressed with the Grand Am's leather because it's heavily coated leather. To my amazement, the next day when I got in the GA, the leather was very soft.

emaxxman
07-20-2006, 09:52 AM
You could try the leatherique kit on your accord to try to bring it back some. Killr said don't expect miracles though, but it is worth a shot. I am going to try it in a month or so, but if you do it before me, let me know how it turns out. (I have coated leather too)

The leatherique won't fix the problem. There are severe cracks and some ripping. It's a lost cause for the driver's seat. All the other seats and leather trim are perfectly fine. For the driver's seat, I think it was a combination of not properly protecting it and it being the most used seat.

emaxxman
07-20-2006, 09:53 AM
Can someone reccommend a "brush" you can use for leather cleaning? Im having a hard time visualizing what kind of brush is appropriate....

Thanks
I used Meguiar's interior cleaning brush. Just gently scrub...all you need is some slight agitation of the dirt and cleaner and it will all come back. I really wish I took before and after pics. The difference was amazing!

Here's a link to a review of Meguiar's brushes that I wrote.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1053

emaxxman
07-20-2006, 09:58 AM
In the meantime you should at least put 303 on the leather to prevent further damage.

So do I still need a seperate UV protectant if I apply conditioner to the leather monthly? Once I month I do a complete vacuum and wipedown of the interior. I then reapply dressings to the entire interior (protectant for all non-leather, conditioner for leather.)