PDA

View Full Version : clear coat tape line

nick27
12-26-2021, 04:10 PM
hey guys just got my car repainted due to an accident or more like a blend job that was done on the doors....its a tape line and the lip isn't that drastic if you pass a finger over it but it is there. how can I remove or make it less noticeable? I also noticed from the tape line there is some dullness possible paint with no clear then the factory clear again..

Bosko
12-26-2021, 04:15 PM
I'd take it up with whoever did the work and tell them your issues and have them make it right.

nick27
12-26-2021, 04:30 PM
Paint shop says it’s fine and won’t take responsibility, was wondering if this job can be easy enough for a diy car enthusiast to tackle and hide it as much as possible?

2black1s
12-26-2021, 08:12 PM
Paint shop says it’s fine and won’t take responsibility...

This quoted part of your post tells me that the paint shop's standards are somewhat different than yours. And mine.

If I'm interpreting your photo correctly, I see a tape-edge and shadow ~1/2" in from the edge of what I'm assuming is the rocker panel (door sill). Is that correct?

If so, I see a few options...

1) Sand the area with 1500-3000 grit just enough to smooth it out and then compound/polish the area.

2) Sand the area with 1500-3000 grit to remove all of the offending paint back to the outer edge. You could also try removing it with solvent (lacquer thinner, acetone, etc,), or some combination of solvent and sanding. Then compound/polish the area. Doing this will move the paint blend edge to the edge of the panel where it will be much less noticeable.

3) Sand the blend area and the rest of that entire panel section (between edges) with 1500 grit and then spray the entire panel section (between edges) with a urethane 2k clear (available in spray cans).

nick27
12-27-2021, 10:15 AM
I’ve tried using some fg400 on a microfibre rag and buff by hand and what I noticed is the clear does come off and to my assessment , there is clear under that one….will I be able to blend them both together without moving the tape line outside the body line? Or will this clear flake off….

2black1s
12-27-2021, 01:08 PM
I’ve tried using some fg400 on a microfibre rag and buff by hand and what I noticed is the clear does come off and to my assessment , there is clear under that one….will I be able to blend them both together without moving the tape line outside the body line? Or will this clear flake off….

This sounds like you're going down the path similar to my #2 suggestion above. Keep going until you have moved the blend to the edge of the panel. Most likely you will not be able to remove the blend edge altogether, but if you can move it to the edge of the panel by sanding/compounding/polishing, that is where it will be the least obvious to the eye.

nick27
12-27-2021, 01:38 PM
This sounds like you're going down the path similar to my #2 suggestions above. Keep going until you have moved the blend to the edge of the panel. Most likely you will not be able to remove the blend edge altogether, but if you can move it to the edge of the panel by sanding/compounding/polishing, that is where it will be the least obvious to the eye.

If by moving it to the edge of the panel will that cause the clear to chip or flake off?

JKDesign
12-27-2021, 03:53 PM
If by moving it to the edge of the panel will that cause the clear to chip or flake off?

No, the shop has (or should have) scuffed/sanded the top of the original clear coat down to provide something for the new cleat coat to bite into. Compounding it back to the edge just moves it to an area that will be less noticeable. Also- if the shop is reputable- they should provide a guarantee on the work for as long as you own the vehicle. Honestly- if you are not happy with the offending line- they should be the ones to clean up their mess.

Bosko
12-27-2021, 04:00 PM
No, the shop has (or should have) scuffed/sanded the top of the original clear coat down to provide something for the new cleat coat to bite into. Compounding it back to the edge just moves it to an area that will be less noticeable. Also- if the shop is reputable- they should provide a guarantee on the work for as long as you own the vehicle. Honestly- if you are not happy with the offending line- they should be the ones to clean up their mess.

This!

This is the second post regarding someone saying the.."Shop told me"...it was fine.

BULLSHIT!....they make it right period

JKDesign
12-27-2021, 04:39 PM
Bosko- I have worked in the collision industry for 15yrs- as a technician, a detailer, a manager, and as an estimator. My bottom statement is something that I have always stuck with- and for the current shop organization that I work for- we provide it in writing for every customer and every job!

Bosko
12-27-2021, 05:03 PM
Absolutely!

dgage
12-27-2021, 05:47 PM
Threaten a less than favorable Google review and that should get them moving. You didn’t have a line before the accident and you shouldn’t after. And clearcoat is there to protect the paint, which is mostly aesthetic, which means how it looks matters. If it didn’t matter, no need for paint and clearcoat as there are other ways to protect metal from corroding.