PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Advice for Garage Queen - Ceramic or Sealant + Carnauba

Cuda470
12-25-2021, 12:53 PM
I am a newbie to machine polishing and just picked up a Griots G9 Kit with Meguiars M105 and M205 and I also purchased some Essence Extreme Gloss Enhancer. I am planning to use the G9 on my daily drivers, but my main goal is to bring out the best shine possible out of a 1970 Plymouth Cuda in Hemi Orange. I purchased the 1970 Cuda that was restored and repainted (Base Coat/Clear Coat) by the previous owner about 12 years ago. After having the car repainted he drove it very little and then it spent most of its life in a shop under a cheap car cover. The body shop that repainted the car has retired and closed shop, so I have no idea what type of paint or clear coat was used. The paint is still in very good condition, with some light overspray that I was able to remove with clay bar and clay lube. The paint has some light haze or marring probably from the cheap car cover or maybe years of oxidation. Either way it seems like haze or cloudy looking finish, that I hope to restore back to a near perfect shine and better clarity.

When I bought the Essence my original idea was to use Essence as a final polish step and then do a ceramic coating. Considering that this will be a garage queen and probably only get driven about 2000 miles a year and spend 90% of its time in a heated garage, I am wondering if Ceramic coating is needed or the best option. Since this car will not be exposed to a hard life, would I get a better shine or be better off doing a paint sealant like Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and then topping that off with a good Carnauba wax? Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. If I go the paint sealant and carnauba route would I be better off with a Menzerna 3500 or 3800 as a final polish?

Thanks,

Cuda470