PDA

View Full Version : A ridiculous question regarding rinseless washing

Pages : [1] 2 3

vaca22
12-21-2021, 06:51 PM
This actually could be posted in the "What did you do today in regards to detailing" thread...but...

Today I did a rinseless wash, probably the 4th or 5th I've ever done (I started doing this in mid Sept). After dragging the sponge across the surface of the paint, I could see the paint getting clean. It's kinda nice. Another thing I noticed is pools of dirty water remaining on the surface of the vehicle. You can't really soak it up in the sponge, I don't think, so it's left there for it to get sucked up by the drying towel.

Is dragging the towel over the dirty water a weird concept, or is it just me? I ended up blowing much of the water off, then followed it up with a toweling with the PFM towel....

...which, as a first time user, was FRIGGIN AMAAAAAAAAAAAAAZING.

Thanks!

vobro
12-21-2021, 07:05 PM
When I see remaining dirt I’ll make another pass with the wash media. You said you can see the paint getting clean, so where did that dirt go? It’s in the sponge so why not keep washing until there’s no dirt?

Are you putting pressure on the sponge causing the “pools of dirt”?

glen e
12-21-2021, 07:11 PM
I would never use a sponge, it doesn’t have the absorbing capability to pick up the dirt. That’s what microfibers are for. Put five microfibers in a bucket of rinseless lsolution, and pull one out one at a time and do two panels with one towel, put it on sopping wet so that it causes lubrication and Drag it across the surface. the dirt will collect on the towel, then discard the towel into another bucket and pick up another towel from the bucket and do two more panels… Then dry with a waffle weave to a perfectly pristine service.

Bill D
12-21-2021, 07:14 PM
Sponges scare the hell out of me no matter what washing technique is being performed.

dgage
12-21-2021, 07:27 PM
On Black Friday I ordered some Microfiber Madness Incredipads and the Dirt Lock Scrub Walls. I then did a 2-bucket rinseless wash making sure to really scrub my new Incredipads on the Scrub Walls in the rinse bucket. The pad still felt a little gritty. Never again will I do a wash of any kind where I reuse a sponge whether that be a standard wash or a rineseless. So 5-6 towels or pads it is for me from now on.

To the OP's question, I'd grab a fresh towel and give it another pass. No way do I want my drying towel touching dirt.

vaca22
12-21-2021, 08:24 PM
Maybe I'm doing this incorrectly.

When I say pools of dirty water, what I mean is that the water left behind is visibly dirty. Might I have too much water in the sponge to start? I rung it out to "dripping".

The rinseless concept with a sponge is a real head-scratcher, but I was quite amazed after doing this on my wife's car. Her car is new and thankfully wasn't ever prepped by the dealer, so it has remained entirely free of any marring. Expecting some to occur after the wash, I was pleasantly surprised when there was none.

Maybe I can sort of go back and push the remaining water off...or maybe I can be a real man and use a bunch of towels instead LOL

Rsurfer
12-21-2021, 08:33 PM
Maybe I can sort of go back and push the remaining water off...or maybe I can be a real man and use a bunch of towels instead LOL

I ended up blowing much of the water off, then followed it up with a toweling with the PFM towel....

Why would you have to push the remaining water off when you claimed to have blown most of the water off before using a drying towel?

vaca22
12-21-2021, 08:40 PM
I ended up blowing much of the water off, then followed it up with a toweling with the PFM towel....

Why would you have to push the remaining water off when you claimed to have blown most of the water off before using a drying towel?

Great question. Today I had access to a leaf blower, otherwise if I'm at my place I don't. So when I'm home I'm left with residual water on the car that I can't blow off, and I'd rather not drag a towel across that kind of water. Some more passes might be the way to go, as I try to keep the amount of passes to as little as possible.

vobro
12-21-2021, 09:11 PM
Maybe I don’t understand what’s going on but how can there be pools of dirty water when doing a rinseless wash? If you see dirt in any form keep wiping until there is none. Rinseless wash works pretty great but is really no different than a regular 2 bucket wash, would you dry dirty water left after a hose wash? No you would hit it again with the wash media or take the chance of marring.

Bruno Soares
12-21-2021, 09:40 PM
That’s normal. It’s the magic in rinseless products, they encapsulate the dirt and you can safely remove. If you see excessive amounts, I’d do one more pass with the sponge.

I’ve used the big red sponge for years. Works great. I do use a second bucket to rinse it just to be sure I’m not contaminating the wash solution.

For drying I also use the PFM which is fantastic.

vaca22
12-21-2021, 09:57 PM
In my mind, for some strange and unknown reason, I'm thinking I should only be making a pass or two. Clearly that's faulty logic, as vobro points out that you would need to hit it again to get it clean if it was left dirty.

I think I'm expecting the magic juice to whisk it all away at once. D'oh!

It was a real treat for me being outside today, low 40's deep into December. Prior to today, I don't think I've personally washed my car any later than early October. And to top it off, I had forgotten my tire dressing(s) at home...but found a 10+ year old bottle of Black Magic Tire Wet that did the trick! I spent the day at my parents and some of my old supplies were there, including 2 tins of S100, the Black Magic, and little sample bottles of Mother's and Meguiar's liquid waxes.

Ahhhh, memories!

glen e
12-21-2021, 11:56 PM
All the dirt on my cars comes off in one pass when I completely drag a wet wet sopping microfiber across the surface and the microfiber plus side grabs all the dirt and holds it until I can lift it off. I lay the towel completely flat on the surface and grab the two corners and pull it across the surface, floating it on a cushion of water because the towel is sopping wet. It works every time and in 10 years I’ve never scratched the surface yet.

On YouTube search for the Gary Dean rinseless method

Coatingsarecrack
12-22-2021, 05:31 AM
Great question. Today I had access to a leaf blower, otherwise if I'm at my place I don't. So when I'm home I'm left with residual water on the car that I can't blow off, and I'd rather not drag a towel across that kind of water. Some more passes might be the way to go, as I try to keep the amount of passes to as little as possible.

If i saw pools of dirty water i would follow it up with a non drying microfiber dipped in the rinseless and wrung out.

When wiping the car with it roll the towels up and away from paint. If you can’t picture it look up Larry Kosilla Ammo Frothe and watch his video. I had heard of this method but didn’t actually get it till i watched his video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vaca22
12-22-2021, 07:02 AM
If i saw pools of dirty water i would follow it up with a non drying microfiber dipped in the rinseless and wrung out.

When wiping the car with it roll the towels up and away from paint. If you can’t picture it look up Larry Kosilla Ammo Frothe and watch his video. I had heard of this method but didn’t actually get it till i watched his video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, this is what I do with waterless washes. Larry is relatively close to me, maybe I should visit the guy!

BadgerRivFan
12-22-2021, 07:30 AM
That’s normal. It’s the magic in rinseless products, they encapsulate the dirt and you can safely remove. If you see excessive amounts, I’d do one more pass with the sponge.

I’ve used the big red sponge for years. Works great. I do use a second bucket to rinse it just to be sure I’m not contaminating the wash solution.

For drying I also use the PFM which is fantastic.

^^^ What Bruno said ^^^

I used to exclusively use the “Garry Dean wash method” (i.e. multiple microfiber towels) for rinseless washing, but found that the proper sponge (Optimum big red, McKee’s gold, Rag Co black) all work just as well, don’t mare the paint, and leave a lot less dirty laundry to go into the same wash machine that I use for my clothes.

As long as you’re not “scrubbing” the paint with your sponge they are perfectly safe.