PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Removing Gtechniq CSL on Audi

ToroInu
12-14-2021, 11:33 PM
Hello All,

I compound/polished/coated my Mythos Black Metallic RS5 about 5 months ago. It was my first time picking up a polish and was content with the results during the time. Recently, I got my rear bumper repainted from an accident and im looking to compound/polish/coat the bumper. Since I have to buy a new bottle of coating, I didnt want to just store the extra product and waste it so I've decided to redo my whole car to try and get better results.

I know the paint had some very minor swirls/marring under the existing coat. During the time, I only had the G9 + orange boss pads and Megs ultimate compound. While it got most of the initial swirls away, it didnt finish down perfectly. I used Sonax PF with a white pad as a follow up and it didnt do much as well. I came across a few detailers who paint corrected their RS5 with Microfiber cutting pads so I feel like I definitely could've went more aggressive my first time around.

This time around, I plan to use Urofiber 50/50 pads with Sonax Cutmax to hopefully remove the ceramic coat while being able to finish off the micro marring from before.

Do you guys think the cutmax will be an overkill and remove too much clear coat? Do you guys have any product + pad recommendation if the cutmax might be overkill?

The Guz
12-15-2021, 12:14 AM
Test spot is your answer to determine what pad and compound/polish. The coating will be removed even with polishing.

ToroInu
12-15-2021, 12:50 AM
Test spot is your answer to determine what pad and compound/polish. The coating will be removed even with polishing.

So I dont need something as aggressive as cutmax to remove the coating? Interesting... Do you have any recommendation for a last step to finish off any minor marring and swirls under the coating with hard audi paint? As mentioned before, ive used Sonax PF with an Orange pad and white pad, both which did nothing. I dont have all the pads/products in the world and I wouldn't want to buy stuff that are just not going to work with this type of clear coat

Coatingsarecrack
12-15-2021, 01:07 AM
So I dont need something as aggressive as cutmax to remove the coating? Interesting... Do you have any recommendation for a last step to finish off any minor marring and swirls under the coating with hard audi paint? As mentioned before, ive used Sonax PF with an Orange pad and white pad, both which did nothing. I dont have all the pads/products in the world and I wouldn't want to buy stuff that are just not going to work with this type of clear coat

Try switching to the boss creams. Correcting cream with orange. Get some yellow boss pads with perfecting cream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Guz
12-15-2021, 02:04 AM
That is correct. Prosumer or consumer coatings can be polished off. They are not hard to remove.

You could try the uro fiber pad. I have not used it so I am not sure how it performs. I would imagine it has similar cut to a microfiber cutting pad. You may also want to look into the Rupes yellow wool pads. They are versatile pads and can be used with either a compound or polish and leave a better finish than a microfiber pad.

ToroInu
12-15-2021, 02:22 AM
That is correct. Prosumer or consumer coatings can be polished off. They are not hard to remove.

You could try the uro fiber pad. I have not used it so I am not sure how it performs. I would imagine it has similar cut to a microfiber cutting pad. You may also want to look into the Rupes yellow wool pads. They are versatile pads and can be used with either a compound or polish and leave a better finish than a microfiber pad.

If the cutmax + urofiber combo works, will it be "too aggressive" and remove too much clear or would it be safe since the Audi paint is on the harder side. Reason why im asking is because I already have the two products. However, if the cutmax is overkill for the job, im willing to purchase a less aggressive product if I can achieve same results while preserving more clear coat.

Again the paint does not have any serious swirls or imperfections anymore after the initial compound with Meg ultimate. It just has slight swirls from Meg not being able to cut through or there could be a chance I left marring during the compound stage as well ( but highly doubt it, since Sonax PF didnt do anything ).

The Guz
12-15-2021, 10:27 AM
Again without physically being there and performing a test spot it is hard to say if it is aggressive or not. It is possible that ultimate compound didn't remove as much as you thought and thought and you are noticing them now as you examine the paint after many months.

Most products can be used with various pads to find a good combination. You have to keep in mind that perfect finish is a finishing polish. You could try a more aggressive pad with it which is why I mention the rupes yellow wool pads.

ToroInu
12-15-2021, 05:21 PM
Again without physically being there and performing a test spot it is hard to say if it is aggressive or not. It is possible that ultimate compound didn't remove as much as you thought and thought and you are noticing them now as you examine the paint after many months.

Most products can be used with various pads to find a good combination. You have to keep in mind that perfect finish is a finishing polish. You could try a more aggressive pad with it which is why I mention the rupes yellow wool pads.

Got it! I don’t have the PF anymore but I did come by some Koch chemie fine cut and menzerna 3800 so I’ll give those a few passes before jumping to cutmax. I only have boss mf, yellow, orange, rupes yellow and Urofiber pads atm so I’ll try to team those up before investing in some wool.

dgage
12-15-2021, 08:57 PM
Really like the Rupes blue/coarse and yellow/medium wool pads. And I often use the wool pads with both a compound and a polish depending on what I’m trying to correct. As usually. the Guz gives great advice.

But if you go with microfiber or wool pads, make sure to use compressed air to clean them out as that is one of their big advantages over foam, removing spent product and spent clear coat residue with a bit of cooling thrown in.