PDA

View Full Version : G9 + G8 combo question

ToroInu
12-13-2021, 06:10 PM
Hello All,

I purchased a g9 awhile back and while I loved it, the 6in pads felt a tad too big for all the edges and corners on my 2019 Audi RS5. I recently purchased a g8 mini to resolve the issue so I can better get on the corners/edges of the body.

However, I’m currently debating if it’s worth switch from a 6in backing to a 5in backing plate to get even more “tighty.” Im not really too invested in terms of 6in pads but I do plan to repoilish my car within the next few months and I’m looking to purchase some more pads(Urofiber/LC/boss, all of which I don’t own any).

My question is should I keep the 6in or go with the 5in?

noorth
12-13-2021, 06:18 PM
I'm not a pro by any stretch but 5" pads seem to be much more popular then 6" for DA's.

In fact, the first generation G15 came with a 5" backing plate. I love that machine lol I have a G8 too, which is neat, but i really like my G15. :D

And you can probably use either size and get excellent results.

Finally, i use the 2 inch backing plate on the G8 more then the 3 inch now after 10 -12 hours using the machine. Not much i confess. :D

MisterSnoop
12-13-2021, 07:02 PM
The 5" backing plate will pay for itself if you're buying enough pads. If you do, go with the Griot's vented backing plate.

dlc95
12-13-2021, 09:06 PM
It's nice having both 5" and 6" pads available.

I switch to the 6" on the Porter Cable 7424 when working with that tool on the bigger panels of larger vehicles, but the 5" is like having it on cruise control. It's a boy to use.

PaulMys
12-14-2021, 05:56 PM
The 5" backing plate will pay for itself if you're buying enough pads. If you do, go with the Griot's vented backing plate.

It's nice having both 5" and 6" pads available.

I switch to the 6" on the Porter Cable 7424 when working with that tool on the bigger panels of larger vehicles, but the 5" is like having it on cruise control. It's a boy to use.

Like Snoop said, the 5" set-up is what you would want if only working on your own cars, or smaller SUV's/trucks.

And like Dan said, the 6" set-up would be a must have if you were working on larger SUV's, large trucks, or vans. (And don't forget that you can change it up between 5 & 6 mid-detail if you wish.)

The G9 has plenty of balls to churn either the 5" or 6" pads, so the choice is really up to you and what you will be working on. And listen to Snoop and get the Griot's vented BP for whatever size(s) you chose.

dlc95
12-14-2021, 07:35 PM
Like Snoop said, the 5" set-up is what you would want if only working on your own cars, or smaller SUV's/trucks.

And like Dan said, the 6" set-up would be a must have if you were working on larger SUV's, large trucks, or vans. (And don't forget that you can change it up between 5 & 6 mid-detail if you wish.)

The G9 has plenty of balls to churn either the 5" or 6" pads, so the choice is really up to you and what you will be working on. And listen to Snoop and get the Griot's vented BP for whatever size(s) you chose.

Or one could grab and other G9 and leave it with the 6" plate!

I did that today. I had the Mini, Duetto and 21 in action in a Tesla. I only really needed the 21 for the hood though.

ToroInu
12-14-2021, 11:16 PM
Thanks for all the input, I think I might just grab the 5in for more "precise" work since there are just too many sharp edges on my car. Ill keep the 6in in handy for bigger panels down the road.

Bosko
12-15-2021, 04:45 AM
Just to add to everyone else...ya the 5"is a good size, it seems to be the sweet spot for the G9.
I have coming today the 1" extension for the G8 with the 1"orange pads.
With that combo you can go from 1" to 6" with the G9/G8