PDA

View Full Version : ??? - 2006 Black Vette - BIG YIKES?!?!?!

AdrianStewart
04-17-2008, 05:53 AM
my neighbor approached me for some assistance

he's great with his cars, clean - rarely parked outside - but doesn't have the tools to get the swirls out

I don't shy away from teaching what I've learned, but he doesn't want to mess his wife's Vette up ...

has approx 10k miles, sat on a lot for 8-10 months when he bought it ...

I've never worked on a "nice" black vehicle ... only beaters - I needed OC with yellow pads to correct on a PC -

I used SSR 1 w/ orange pads and SONUS 1 on white pads for my BMW ...

I have OC / SSR 2.5 / SSR 1 / Sonus 1 / EX-P / P21S / Nattys Blue / NXT Tech

yellow/orange/white/grey pads ... and some 3.5 pads

any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated!

ScottB
04-17-2008, 05:39 PM
the Vette topcoat is actually quite hard and responds well to the ceramiclear polishes best. I would suggest Menzerna or Wolfgang 3.0 over the Poorboys offerings.

conan777
04-17-2008, 07:11 PM
:whs: the vette has very hard clear. Add black to the mix and you are asking for many long hours ahead of you. I used Menzerna Powergloss on a Yellow 6.5" LCC pad speed 6 on a UDM followed up with Menz Nano Polish. It came out nice but that clear is def hard. Take your time and it should come out very nice. You may have to make multiple passes with the Optimum Compound. Good Luck

Themightytimmah
04-18-2008, 09:42 AM
Corvette paint is pretty challenging to correct. It's hard to level (remove) but easy to induce new swirls on.

I would stay away from the yellow pads and stick with orange for that reason - now might be a great time to invest in some of the new Wolfgang SMR's. White is probably your best bet to finish with on that paint.

Set the owner up with a good glaze too. It will swirl fairly easily in between polishings, and he'll need something to cover up.