PDA

View Full Version : Coating Question

CleanIT
12-03-2021, 08:50 AM
From what I've read there are coatings that are permanent (Optimum/System X etc.) and non-permanent (Carpro/Gyeon etc.). Permanent bond to the clear coat and non-permanent sit on top. Optimum coatings are SiC and Sio2 and the others are mostly Sio2 with some now having SiC. Is that correct? Wouldn't a permanent coating be most ideal? It seems a lot of these other coatings are not worth the trouble when I read about all the fuss involved and toppers that are needed to maintain them. How come Gyeon and others don't offer permanent coatings? Just asking out of curiosity.

04lss
12-03-2021, 08:57 AM
I dont think any coating is truly permanent. Its just a measure of how long you get out of it.

Ive consdiered them a few times, but I think the ceramic waxes (megs, griots, blackfire, etc) last a long time. I put a coating on my camaro as a drying aid back in July. Just a single coat. And it took until last weekend before i noticed a decrease in water beading. If you apply the coat on its own (not as a drying aid) it lasts longer. It also lasts longer if you apply a second coat. For my time, im fine doing a coat of that every 6 months, and using the ceramic speed shine as a drying aid in between.

noorth
12-03-2021, 09:31 AM
This is a very subjective question.

Ideal to one person might not be ideal to someone else. I didn't know there were permanent coatings however, first i heard of it.

CleanIT
12-03-2021, 09:32 AM
This is a very subjective question.

Ideal to one person might not be ideal to someone else. I didn't know there were permanent coatings however, first i heard of it.

Maybe permanent isn't the right word. I've seen some videos of coatings that were still strong after 9 years. Maybe those are rare outliers, I don't know. I'm not putting down the non-permanent coatings as they have their place and perform very well.