PDA

View Full Version : Show Car Wax/Sealant

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

mback12000
11-28-2021, 10:11 AM
I'm struggling on choosing a final wax (or sealant) for my garage queen rotisserie restoration muscle car. Paint polished to perfection (Menzerna 3800), medium blue metallic, clear is on the softer side. My priorities are gloss/shine/wet look, and perhaps minimal attraction of dust (if that even is a thing). Moderate durability would be a bonus but this thing sees very limited miles and limited waterless washes. Car sees a few shows per year that are worth it to me to use something special.

So far I've only used Meguiars M26 Hi Tech Yellow Wax but candidly at only $18/can, I'm starting to think I'm missing out with all the talk about 3-10x more expensive choices. Should I step up my game? Would have no problem spending more (just not the stupid $200/can stuff). I am not interested in ceramic coatings.

My first point of paralysis is choosing between sealant (like Wolfgang Deep Gloss) vs carnauba (like Collinite 915), these two seemed to be at the top of my research. Putting wax on top of sealant makes no sense to me - just use the one that is better and maintenance it.

Any help appreciated, in particular not what you all use but why you use it. That being said, I am interested in what's being used on high end show cars, like for Ridler, Concours, etc.
Thanks.

627PCFan
11-28-2021, 10:21 AM
My 2cents. I think you will find the Collonite line attracts dust. WGDGPS does not when first applied. If its a garage queen, I still would go 915. Dust is easy to get off and worth the cost of admission for the finished look of a car wearing 915.

PaulMys
11-29-2021, 07:59 PM
I'm struggling on choosing a final wax (or sealant) for my garage queen rotisserie restoration muscle car. Paint polished to perfection (Menzerna 3800), medium blue metallic, clear is on the softer side. My priorities are gloss/shine/wet look, and perhaps minimal attraction of dust (if that even is a thing). Moderate durability would be a bonus but this thing sees very limited miles and limited waterless washes. Car sees a few shows per year that are worth it to me to use something special.

So far I've only used Meguiars M26 Hi Tech Yellow Wax but candidly at only $18/can, I'm starting to think I'm missing out with all the talk about 3-10x more expensive choices. Should I step up my game? Would have no problem spending more (just not the stupid $200/can stuff). I am not interested in ceramic coatings.

My first point of paralysis is choosing between sealant (like Wolfgang Deep Gloss) vs carnauba (like Collinite 915), these two seemed to be at the top of my research. Putting wax on top of sealant makes no sense to me - just use the one that is better and maintenance it.

Any help appreciated, in particular not what you all use but why you use it. That being said, I am interested in what's being used on high end show cars, like for Ridler, Concours, etc.
Thanks.

*You may want to rethink this.

You can get some stunning results with this combo. Especially on a garage queen...... JMO

mback12000
11-29-2021, 08:04 PM
You may want to rethink this.

You can get some stunning results with this combo. Especially on a garage queen...... JMO

Thanks. And I'm open minded, I just don't understand the logic. If the carnauba wears off, you have the look of sealant. If you want the look of carnauba, they you're re-waxing. So you're still waxing as often whether the sealant is under it or not. Am I missing something? Is there something different about the combo?

Bill D
11-29-2021, 08:28 PM
I desire the look of carnauba above all other factors in a LSP and so I wax about every four months or so. I don't mind it To me it's the "main event" of detailing and it's what I like most about it. I use Souveran and Fuzion. I use Fuzion on my car that gets driven most and Souveran on my other two which are true garage queens. Regardless of what LSP you choose, do have fun applying it. To me, that's the whole point.

Eldorado2k
11-29-2021, 08:29 PM
I desire the look of carnauba above all other factors in a LSP and so I wax about every four months or so. I don't mind it To me it's the "main event" of detailing and it's what I like most about it. I use Souveran and Fuzion. I use Fuzion on my car that gets driven most and Souveran on my other two which are true garage queens. Regardless of what LSP you choose, do have fun applying it. To me, that's the whole point.

Do you ever have to clay that paint?

Bill D
11-29-2021, 08:32 PM
Do you ever have to clay that paint?I check for the necessity to clay about once a year. Didn't need to this year :) and if I did feel the need to, I would probably wash with Valugard ABC first and likely not need to at all.

Eldorado2k
11-29-2021, 08:38 PM
I check for the necessity to clay about once a year. Didn't need to this year :) and if I did feel the need to, I would probably wash with Valugard ABC first and likely not need to at all.

That stuff can replace the claybar eh?

Bill D
11-29-2021, 08:40 PM
That stuff can replace the claybar eh?Well,to a point. Can't nuke heavy contamination. You may have to clay during step B if you have heavy contamination.

Eldorado2k
11-29-2021, 08:42 PM
Well,to a point. Can't nuke heavy contamination. You may have to clay during step B if you have heavy contamination.

Lately I’ve been reaching straight for the Meguiars Red Aggressive Clay every time. It cuts straight to the chase without taking forever like everything else. No marring either. Love that clay.

Bill D
11-29-2021, 08:45 PM
If there's no marring I really ought to add it to my arsenal. I have blue Clay Magic from years ago I haven't used up yet. I ought to just pitch it at this point.

Eldorado2k
11-29-2021, 08:54 PM
If there's no marring I really ought to add it to my arsenal. I have blue Clay Magic from years ago I haven't used up yet. I ought to just pitch it at this point.

IMO these are the 2 best claybars ever made. The Blue 1 for normal decontamination and the Red 1 for vehicles that have never seen a claybar.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211130/55fdb2a07c90ced4843e5e0581b1d1f5.jpg

I don’t skimp, just get the whole claybar and make a patty the size of your hand. Plenty of lube makes claying a breeze.

Bill D
11-29-2021, 08:55 PM
Sounds like those ought to be the next clays I get.

Rsurfer
11-29-2021, 11:00 PM
If this was a rotisserie restoration and polished to perfection and rarely driven..my choice would be Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax.

What kind of car and any pictures?

mwoolfso
11-29-2021, 11:00 PM
I would try Pinnacle Synergy, 2 layers and then top it with whatever you want after that just for kicks if you aren't impressed.