PDA

View Full Version : Paint protection advice

Pages : [1] 2

kingweb50
11-21-2021, 07:12 AM
I purchased a new vehicle a couple months ago and did mechanical decon and put dgps and topped the next wash with sonax bsd as I planned to fully decon, polish, and cquartz the car this week. Unfortunately my available time has changed and I will not be able to get that accomplished anymore. My question is what would be better option to do with shorter period of time prior to the winter snow and salt. Options I see are wash with reset, mech decon and apply new layer of dgps and some sort of wax topper or wash with reset, iron x, mech decon and apply cquartz without polishing paint as that is the step I really wont have time to accomplish. I could order some other product today with faster shipping if recommended. I would have to wait till probably May before I would have time polish paint and coat with original plan.

Bosko
11-21-2021, 07:33 AM
II'd go with a ceramic/graphene spray at this time

Griot's 3 in 1

Griot's Garage Ceramic 3-in-1 Wax (https://www.autogeek.net/griots-ceramic-3n1-wax.html)
Adam's Graphene advanced

404 Not Found - Adam's Polishes (https://adamspolishes.com/products/graphene-ceramic-spray-coating™-advanced?variant=39532960415841&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=SmartShopping&utm_adgroup=60644928383&gclid=Cj0KCQiA-eeMBhCpARIsAAZfxZA86GK16PM9maVhv0pzlT-RtNvVrW26zr3OhvnJ1isJXZ3iJKZ8EaEaAqNxEALw_wcB)

627PCFan
11-21-2021, 10:07 AM
Blast around the car with a paint sealant or collonite 845. Speedy and great protection. I have no experience with the 3-1 but everyone loves that too. Another great option

theory816
11-23-2021, 06:06 AM
Get a beater to drive in the nasty weather conditions

BudgetPlan1
11-23-2021, 07:35 AM
Wash, Iron-X, wash, wipe down twice with Kleen-Strip Prep All (avaliable at local auto parts store) then Gyeon Can Coat.

Bosko
11-23-2021, 07:58 AM
By the end of the week the posts will read like this

Strip the paint with 800 grit, 2 coats of water based primer...followed by 4 coats of base topped with 6 coats of clear.
Color sand and then polish with a 2 step to provide clean smooth base.
Now top with ceramic coat allowing 7 days of cure without water exposure to the weather

Desertnate
11-23-2021, 08:31 AM
I purchased a new vehicle a couple months ago and did mechanical decon and put dgps and topped the next wash with sonax bsd as I planned to fully decon, polish, and cquartz the car this week. Unfortunately my available time has changed and I will not be able to get that accomplished anymore. My question is what would be better option to do with shorter period of time prior to the winter snow and salt. Options I see are wash with reset, mech decon and apply new layer of dgps and some sort of wax topper or wash with reset, iron x, mech decon and apply cquartz without polishing paint as that is the step I really wont have time to accomplish. I could order some other product today with faster shipping if recommended. I would have to wait till probably May before I would have time polish paint and coat with original plan.

If I understand you correctly, you just recently applied a good layer of Wolfgang DGPS and then topped it BSD a little later? How long ago was this?

My vote is to leave the vehicle as-is and simply top with more BSD or a good spray sealant if you really feel the need. DGPS should last you a good six months and get you though most of the winter.

Re-evaluate what you want to do in the spring when the weather warms up and better suited for detailing.

dlc95
11-23-2021, 09:33 AM
The paint sealant that is on there right now would probably be just fine through the winter.

Could could apply a fresh coat, or order a bottle of something like Duragloss 101, which would remove the previous sealant, and lay down something that will likely make it through the winter.

BudgetPlan1
11-23-2021, 09:58 AM
If I understand you correctly, you just recently applied a good layer of Wolfgang DGPS and then topped it BSD a little later? How long ago was this?

My vote is to leave the vehicle as-is and simply top with more BSD or a good spray sealant if you really feel the need. DGPS should last you a good six months and get you though most of the winter.

Re-evaluate what you want to do in the spring when the weather warms up and better suited for detailing.

Indeed, sometimes doing nothing is better than doing something!

PouncingPanzer
11-23-2021, 11:27 AM
If time is short one of the MANY top shelf spray sealants will treat you well enough. So many options I can't keep up myself. For me if time is short I grab the Carpro Reload. Longevity isn't great but it only takes minutes to do an entire vehicle while drying. I can stomach the weak durability cause it's easy to apply every or every-other wash.

But, as many have said, it sounds like you have a decent layer of protection as it is.

Bosko
11-23-2021, 11:33 AM
Reload is the last product I would grab....to each his own

opie
11-23-2021, 11:48 AM
Wash, Iron-X, wash, wipe down twice with Kleen-Strip Prep All (avaliable at local auto parts store) then Gyeon Can Coat.Ive searched extensivly a while back, kleen strip is no longer available in a store anywhere near me... only been able to find it online. Never ended up purchasing.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Coatingsarecrack
11-24-2021, 03:25 AM
Anyone here try the waterbased Klean Strip Prep All?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PouncingPanzer
11-24-2021, 08:57 AM
Reload is the last product I would grab....to each his own

It gets a ton of flak but I have been using it since 2015 with few complaints. Some bad batches a few years back that streaked some. Poor antistatic properties during the months of tree pollen. Only a couple months of beading. But I enjoy using it so much and am used to it that I stick with it. Like you said, to each his own. I would like to see Carpro completely redo the formula and update it for sure.

Bosko
11-24-2021, 01:31 PM
It gets a ton of flak but I have been using it since 2015 with few complaints. Some bad batches a few years back that streaked some. Poor antistatic properties during the months of tree pollen. Only a couple months of beading. But I enjoy using it so much and am used to it that I stick with it. Like you said, to each his own. I would like to see Carpro completely redo the formula and update it for sure.

You must be the one person that has had success with it.....lol

There are a few YouTube video tests and my personal tests on 4 cars that shows it is a HORRIBLE product.

There are so many other options out right now I wouldn't even consider it or recommend it