PDA

View Full Version : Buy a ipa or make it?

Pages : [1] 2 3

queens guy
11-12-2021, 06:42 AM
So when it comes to ipa what is everyone using? Are you making your own or buying it? I watched mikes video on making ipa and he uses 4 oz of 91% alcohol. How long will this last in the bottle with water ? Will it evaporate over time? If you make your own how much alcohol you mixing?

mwoolfso
11-12-2021, 06:59 AM
I suspect you are asking about an IPA "solution". As long as the bottle is airtight you won't get constant oxidation of the alcohol, so "no". And yeah, you have to mix it simply because you don't need a lot of it for the task at hand. Cheers.

glen e
11-12-2021, 07:04 AM
I take a Windex bottle, figure how many ounces are in it and put in 40% alcohol and 60% water, it’ll keep for years on a shelf in air-conditioning. I have a ton of uses for it.Put me on the side for using IPA as a paint cleaner/prep… I bought eraser and don’t wanna pay for something that I can get with IPA. I’ve used IPA on every prep job for the last 15 years and never had a problem.

Rod73
11-12-2021, 07:34 AM
I am a strong believer in purchasing panel preps over homemade alcohol mixes for paint. Personally (for me) if it is important enough, where I need a surgically clean surface PRIOR to applying protection, the financial investment of an appropriate chemical solution is minor.

Bosko
11-12-2021, 08:02 AM
The question is.....what other ingredients are in a "panel wipe"....most are labeled as inert material which in my book is WATER!
Why pay for water in a store bought panel wipe?
Steer me if I'm wrong as I'm not well versed in panel wipes as I have always made mine...

At $5 a quart for 90%....it sure makes a bunch CHEAP if you make your own

vobro
11-12-2021, 10:02 AM
The question is.....what other ingredients are in a "panel wipe"....most are labeled as inert material which in my book is WATER!
Why pay for water in a store bought panel wipe?
Steer me if I'm wrong as I'm not well versed in panel wipes as I have always made mine...

At $5 a quart for 90%....it sure makes a bunch CHEAP if you make your own
I agree with you for the most part but on softer paint, stubborn to remove polish/compounds ie product, climate or just out of the blue issues I think the panel prep offerings offer a more fluid wipe off. They seem to wipe off easier, I will say it’s best to use whatever solution you want as you go. I like to use the ipa before any of the oils/carriers have a chance to dry.

I also find my towels leave less dust on the panel with Erasure, for some reason when I use ipa it seems I get more towel shedding

Bosko
11-12-2021, 10:04 AM
I agree with you for the most part but on softer paint, stubborn to remove polish/compounds ie product, climate or just out of the blue issues I think the panel prep offerings offer a more fluid wipe off. They seem to wipe off easier, I will say it’s best to use whatever solution you want as you go. I like to use the ipa before any of the oils/carriers have a chance to dry.

I also find my towels leave less dust on the panel with Erasure, for some reason when I use ipa it seems I get more towel shedding

All we them to do is tell us what that other ingredient is....sneaky bastards...lol

Bobby B.
11-12-2021, 10:18 AM
What are you using the IPA for? If you're using it to remove polishing oils after paint correction and before applying a coating than I would suggest using a dedicated paint prep spray. Much safer to use and less chances of marring the paint surface.

Gtechniq, Gyeon, CarPro, OPtimum, Meguiar's, Mother's, Poorboy's, 3D, IGL, P&S, Marine 31, Blackfire, Wolfgang, Pinnacle Black Label, and DP offer paint prep sprays.

BLACKFIRE Paint Prep (https://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-paint-prep.html)

Bruno Soares
11-12-2021, 10:37 AM
CarPro Eraser is what I use. I've tried N-914 at panel wipe ratio but found it foams/suds too much. Eraser works well and smells great too.

Kamakaz1961
11-12-2021, 05:43 PM
Gyeon Prep is my Go To. There are many brands that accomplish the same thing. I have had great success with Gyeon Prep.

Rsurfer
11-12-2021, 06:00 PM
If your going to mix your own, I would highly recommend using distilled water.

chilly
11-12-2021, 06:06 PM
This is interesting, I was just trying to find an MSDS for Carpro Eraser to see what the majority of the mix was

I picked that brand at random, but was unable to find an MSDS on line

What I did find was that their website talked about how it's an excellent glass cleaner as well as a few other miscellaneous tasks BESIDES paint prep

What I find interesting is I have seen Mike Phillips use Sonax Glass Cleaner as a final paint wipe prior to applying a sealant or coating for several product reviews (303 Graphene among others)

The first time I read it I thought it was a typo but I have seen him use it more than once

You have to wonder what makes a spray bottle of "paint prep" worth sooooo much more money than an equivalent size bottle of glass cleaner if they are interchangeable

I mix isopropyl and distilled water to Brian of Apex's formula which varies depending on the strength % of the base alcohol

I have not found the need for added color or cool smells to prep a panel for an LSP

If there was a local source of a panel spray that wasn't $25 a pint I might do a comparison but there isn't so I will be dumb and happy and keep using my homemade IPA mix

Maybe I should add a drop of food coloring and really be posh...

Rsurfer
11-12-2021, 06:16 PM
This is interesting, I was just trying to find an MSDS for Carpro Eraser to see what the majority of the mix was

I picked that brand at random, but was unable to find an MSDS on line

What I did find was that their website talked about how it's an excellent glass cleaner as well as a few other miscellaneous tasks BESIDES paint prep

What I find interesting is I have seen Mike Phillips use Sonax Glass Cleaner as a final paint wipe prior to applying a sealant or coating for several product reviews (303 Graphene among others)

The first time I read it I thought it was a typo but I have seen him use it more than once

You have to wonder what makes a spray bottle of "paint prep" worth sooooo much more money than an equivalent size bottle of glass cleaner if they are interchangeable

I mix isopropyl and distilled water to Brian of Apex's formula which varies depending on the strength % of the base alcohol

I have not found the need for added color or cool smells to prep a panel for an LSP

If there was a local source of a panel spray that wasn't $25 a pint I might do a comparison but there isn't so I will be dumb and happy and keep using my homemade IPA mix

Maybe I should add a drop of food coloring and really be posh...

And maybe a drop or two of your wife's expensive perfume.:laughing:

chilly
11-12-2021, 06:22 PM
And maybe a drop or two of your wife's expensive perfume.:laughing:

You trying to get me hurted?

:eek:

fly07sti
11-12-2021, 11:33 PM
If you’re working on your own vehicle, use whatever you want. For me when I ceramic coating a customers vehicle, I use the manufacture paint prep. Also mentioned earlier, using something like Eraser on soft paint is much nicer than a home brew IPA mixture.