PDA

View Full Version : Seriously?! My rant about "soft" black paint

Pages : [1] 2 3

BlackCarBlues
11-10-2021, 06:24 PM
Well, as my username implies... I've got a black car and man do I have a love/hate relationship with that thing. I was just messin' around in the garage a few minutes ago and did my first rinseless ONR wash. Turned out great, no complaints there! After I was done I wanted to feel the slickness, so I dragged the back of my fingers across the hood (I know, not a good idea in the first place, but whatever). One of my fingernails touched the paint as I did this and I couldn't believe it... IT LEFT A SCRATCH! Albeit, it is a light scratch and I can only see it under the LED lighting of my garage, but it's definitely there. I sprayed it with Speed Shine thinking it might rub off, but nope... still there. I just really can't believe that the back of my fingernail, with virtually no pressure applied, can leave scratches in my paint. Out of curiosity I tried doing it again in an inconspicuous area and it definitely leaves scratches, not just a mark.

Surely BMW has the softest paint around.

Anyone care to commiserate and share their "soft" paint stories? Is it really soft paint or is just because it's black... who knows?

luckydawg
11-10-2021, 06:39 PM
For the most part-- not exclusively, most of the imports have softer clears. The american cars are a bit harder- with the GM's being pretty hard

To me-- black paint when its right is about the best 'cause of its depth- but it is work to keep it like that.

Might want to try a bit of polish by hand & see if that takes it off

BlackCarBlues
11-10-2021, 06:47 PM
Yeah I’m sure some polish would work on it. I’m trying to save myself from going crazy during the winter, so I’ve already decided I won’t be polishing again until my spring detail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vobro
11-10-2021, 06:57 PM
I don’t have any black car ownership stories because just as I would never point a loaded gun at my head I’ll never own another black vehicle

luckydawg
11-10-2021, 06:58 PM
Yeah I’m sure some polish would work on it. I’m trying to save myself from going crazy during the winter, so I’ve already decided I won’t be polishing again until my spring detail.

I understand
But applying a finishing polish by hand on two small areas doesnt seem like much to me-- certainly not in the "going crazy" category

Bill D
11-10-2021, 07:04 PM
Sounds like you definitely should wash with an extreme wash method whenever you can

fly07sti
11-10-2021, 07:46 PM
I am in a similar boat with Vobro. Sorry you have to tolerate this with your ride but it’s one of the things that keeps me busy detailing. I do a lot of import black details and always try to educate my customers on what I feel is the best approach to keeping marring at bay or put them on a maintenance plan if they choose. Only way to give your finish some toughness is to look into PPF.

luckydawg
11-10-2021, 07:48 PM
Only way to give your finish some toughness is to look into PPF.

I would think that a coating would add " toughness"

BlackCarBlues
11-10-2021, 09:27 PM
I am in a similar boat with Vobro. Sorry you have to tolerate this with your ride but it’s one of the things that keeps me busy detailing. I do a lot of import black details and always try to educate my customers on what I feel is the best approach to keeping marring at bay or put them on a maintenance plan if they choose. Only way to give your finish some toughness is to look into PPF.

I did get a quote for PPF on the front bumper but at $700 I could just get it repainted when it gets chipped up enough. Don’t wanna know how much it would be to do the whole car

vobro
11-10-2021, 09:42 PM
I did get a quote for PPF on the front bumper but at $700 I could just get it repainted when it gets chipped up enough. Don’t wanna know how much it would be to do the whole car

To add more drama the hood on a BMW is a rock chip magnet

fly07sti
11-10-2021, 11:03 PM
I would think that a coating would add " toughness"

It does to an extent, but it’s not in the same realm as PPF when it comes to resilience.

986DTM
11-11-2021, 12:19 AM
BMW non-metallic black paint (jet black) is the softest paint I have ever encountered. Literally looking at it the wrong way will scratch it. I've seen cars that are a year or two old that look like they've been washed with a straw broom for the past 10 years. It's bad. I feel for you because I know that it would drive me absolutely crazy.

BMW metallic black (sapphire black) is harder in comparison.

psnt1ol
11-11-2021, 12:42 AM
I had a jet black BMW as well.... I feel your pain. It would scratch if I sneeze on it too hard. Sprinkler water spots and bird bombs were the worst.

Don M
11-11-2021, 01:10 AM
My Camaro is black, and I've tried to school myself over the years that it is a 9 y/o daily driver with over 150,000 miles and that no matter how "bad" it looks (to me), it is still lightyears better than 99% of other cars with similar usage/miles. Did it work? Sort of. But it still triggers my OCD when I see an "imperfect" spot.

Bosko
11-11-2021, 05:20 AM
My Camaro is black, and I've tried to school myself over the years that it is a 9 y/o daily driver with over 150,000 miles and that no matter how "bad" it looks (to me), it is still lightyears better than 99% of other cars with similar usage/miles. Did it work? Sort of. But it still triggers my OCD when I see an "imperfect" spot.

LOL....I hear ya

Imagine how I feel when my '21 trail boss with 8000 miles ends up like this....I have a full time job working on my truck.
Good thing I'm retired...

https://i.imgur.com/1Tkf2LE.jpg