PDA

View Full Version : Non-metallic paints

Pages : [1] 2

RixC300
10-31-2021, 09:04 PM
Hello geeks/pros,
I have a twister orange Shelby 350. Twister orange doesn’t have metallic in the paint, similar to grabber blue, and some other non-metallic Ford paints. It has a gloss clear coat, and the paint is polished to a high gloss with very few defects and looks amazing naked.

There’s not much i can do for depth with this color, and hours and hours of correcting and polishing isn’t as rewarding to a untrained eye as a darker metallic paints are.

Have any of you guys used any type of product (coating or waxes) on this type paint that made it stand out a little more? Wet/glossy/pop/candy shell, etc. etc.?

Products I’ve used as a topper on the previous coating (Angelwax legacy):
- Polish Angel High Gloss
- NV Luster

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Coatingsarecrack
11-01-2021, 02:33 AM
Those colors are like white. A good high gloss is all your gonna get.

When i’ve seen these flat colors impress me it’s usually a coating.

On my white car DoDo’s new line of hybrid waxes made it really pop. Will be coating with Evo in spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDGolden
11-01-2021, 06:19 PM
It looks great as pictured and not sure you can improve on that. But if you want to try something different I agree with DoDo Juice. I have their Orange Crush and love it.

98CayenneTA
11-01-2021, 06:41 PM
I would give Ethos Graphene Matrix a shot on that color

The Guz
11-01-2021, 06:56 PM
What previous coating was on there?

It’s probably not so much the lack of metallic but the actual color.

Let us know which coating. I can give you some combinations that should help.

Desertnate
11-02-2021, 07:53 AM
It’s probably not so much the lack of metallic but the actual color.

This was my thought as well. I've seen some non-metalic reds, blacks, and dark blues which are amazing when detailed. Colors like white, orange, and the battleship gray I see occasionally really have their limits when it comes to depth.

Odrapnew
11-03-2021, 12:51 PM
I would say the red on my Golf R doesn't have a lot of depth, but it does have a lot of reflection (in the right light) and looks like it has a hard candy shell.
I corrected mine and coated with CSL and EXOV4.

I think with a good paint correction and coating, it should make it 'shine', but it might not get the depth.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=70456&d=1596911470

Desertnate
11-03-2021, 12:56 PM
For red like your Golf R, a good carnauba wax would give it amazing depth and glow like it's radiating from within. Of course it would only last a few weeks....

For years there was a red 370Z in the parking lot at work. Owner took great care of it and based on the water beads (yes, I looked) it was waxed. In bright sunlight it was amazing.

RixC300
11-03-2021, 10:00 PM
Those colors are like white. A good high gloss is all your gonna get.

When i’ve seen these flat colors impress me it’s usually a coating.

On my white car DoDo’s new line of hybrid waxes made it really pop. Will be coating with Evo in spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I installed EVO on my daughters Stinger a few weeks ago and it was a great experience for easy to use and the gloss factor on that black car was so amazing I actually took photos of it. It didn’t have that “coating look”, it looks like a wax.

I still have a half bottle of EVO and leaning hard to use it on my car. The only reason I haven’t pulled the trigger is because I wanted some feedback from this forum to see if someone had experienced a difference maker on this type of paint.

RixC300
11-03-2021, 10:16 PM
This was my thought as well. I've seen some non-metalic reds, blacks, and dark blues which are amazing when detailed. Colors like white, orange, and the battleship gray I see occasionally really have their limits when it comes to depth.

Passenger side compounded/pad vs the driver side polished/fishing pad. I could not see a difference in overall gloss or clarity. You’re correct, this color is what it is. I’ll be putting EVO on this week.

The Guz
11-03-2021, 11:14 PM
I would consider a primer polish prior to coating. Check out either Dr Beasley's NSP 95 or 45 or use both. The benefit is no need for a panel wipe with any of these. Can coat right over them. You can click the link in my sig on my silver grand prix.

RixC300
11-18-2021, 01:38 PM
The only section left on the car to polish is the back plastic deck panel and swing w/ Gurnee flap. I’m struggling a bit with finding the right combos that work. I don’t have much experience or confidence in polishing plastic so I haven’t gotten aggressive…yet.
Will a diminishing polish like 3DOne or NV Finesse be safe on plastic?

Plastic Deck Panel

Rsurfer
11-18-2021, 01:56 PM
[QUOTE=RixC300;1730798] It has a gloss clear coat, and the paint is polished to a high gloss with very few defects and looks amazing naked.

There’s not much i can do for depth with this color, and hours and hours of correcting and polishing isn’t as rewarding to a untrained eye as a darker metallic paints are.

If you polished to perfection than any LSP will only add a tiny bit to the final appearance. You are now chasing your tail. You said after polishing it looked amazing naked. Add some protection and put a fork in it.

RixC300
11-18-2021, 02:32 PM
[QUOTE=RixC300;1730798] It has a gloss clear coat, and the paint is polished to a high gloss with very few defects and looks amazing naked.

If you polished to perfection than any LSP will only add a tiny bit to the final appearance. You are now chasing your tail. You said after polishing it looked amazing naked. Add some protection and put a fork in it.

Many thanks! You are so correct, I’m chasing something that’s not there.

Larry A
11-18-2021, 02:39 PM
For red like your Golf R, a good carnauba wax would give it amazing depth and glow like it's radiating from within. Of course it would only last a few weeks....

For years there was a red 370Z in the parking lot at work. Owner took great care of it and based on the water beads (yes, I looked) it was waxed. In bright sunlight it was amazing.

For a carnuba try Collinite 845 or 476. They will last much longer.