PDA

View Full Version : Headlight cleaning. Haze

Luket
10-27-2021, 06:27 AM
Many different options.
What is my first go to option to clean my hazy headlamp assembly’s ?
Thanks

evo77
10-27-2021, 12:08 PM
If you mean a cloudy appearance on the outside of the lens then you'll need a headlight restoration kit. It requires you to sand off the deteriorated UV coating and polish the lens back to a clear, "like new" appearance.

Can you post a photo of the condition of the headlamps?

ducksfan
10-27-2021, 12:22 PM
Your first option should be to hit them with a compound - preferably machine applied. Maybe follow with a polish if you want. But if you use a quality compound(I would suggest Menzerna, Griots), compound should be fine.

Take a minute to tape the paint around the headlight. You don't want to remove any paint clear coat.

Luket
10-27-2021, 02:48 PM
Thx i will get a pic. i tried compound in the past on another car.. just burned the plastic

UncleDavy
10-27-2021, 06:19 PM
Use the least aggressive method first. It may require only a polishing. I used McKees headlight restoration kit and no sanding was involved.

ducksfan
10-27-2021, 10:55 PM
Thx i will get a pic. i tried compound in the past on another car.. just burned the plastic
I don't think that would be because of the compound. I'm thinking you used a rotary?

dgage
10-28-2021, 12:13 AM
I don't think that would be because of the compound. I'm thinking you used a rotary?

I bought the Milwaukee M12 polisher with one of the primary use cases being the polishing of headlights. But the trigger speed control was too hard to use and the rotary polisher TOO fast. I burnt part of my sons headlight pretty quick before I put it up for sale and bought a Flex PXE 80. Speed and the heat created burns plastic quickly.

PA DETAILER
10-28-2021, 11:37 AM
Meguiars Plastx Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish - clean & polish all clear plastic panels and convertible top windows. (https://www.autogeek.net/meplclplclpo.html)

ducksfan
10-28-2021, 12:34 PM
I bought the Milwaukee M12 polisher with one of the primary use cases being the polishing of headlights. But the trigger speed control was too hard to use and the rotary polisher TOO fast. I burnt part of my sons headlight pretty quick before I put it up for sale and bought a Flex PXE 80. Speed and the heat created burns plastic quickly.

I don't know. All I use on headlights is a rotary. The small Flex rotary. I haven't had a problem yet. Move fast and don't stay on the surface too long.

The reason I listed the two polishes I did is because they should leave a decent finish by themselves rather quickly. No reason to stay on the plastic and keep working it. If it needs more, reapply compound and go another round.

One thing I didn't say is I usually start with a wool pad and Menzerna 300. Maybe the combo allows me to work quicker without the heat build up. I didn't want to give a laundry list of new things to buy. I tried to keep it simple. Maybe that's a mistake.

Desertnate
10-28-2021, 03:43 PM
As far a products go, I've used the Wolfgang Headlight kit with success. The sealant they provide easily lasts six months and the two-step polishes both work really well.

In the past I've used a small pad on my electric drill. I've now got a Griots G8 polisher and it's fantastic for doing headlights.

ZRX61
10-29-2021, 01:00 PM
I've used metal polish, made them look new.

ducksfan
10-29-2021, 11:48 PM
I've used metal polish, made them look new.

I don't know which one you used. But, I've used Flitz on a headlight before and it did a nice job.

Sharply Dressed
10-30-2021, 12:53 AM
I’ve started with HD Speed, GG All in One Sealant, etc and have gotten good result. As others have mentioned, compounds and polishes as well. If the headlights are really bad, step up to headlight restoration kit or sanding.

ZRX61
10-30-2021, 05:20 PM
I don't know which one you used. But, I've used Flitz on a headlight before and it did a nice job.

Solvol Autosol. It's similar to Simichrome. In Europe every autoparts store has it, in the US I've only seen it at Eastwoods.

Craig Encinitas
11-02-2021, 10:21 AM
One of my methods:

How I remove headlight yellow haze - YouTube (https://youtu.be/bJFHXY90gx4)