PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar’s Wheel Brightener Consumer Equivalent for paint spot removal

Spiney
09-30-2021, 06:02 PM
I saw several videos where they used Meguiar’s Wheel Brightener diluted 50/50 with water to remove stubborn water and bird dropping spots. I’m looking for the consumer equivalent since I can’t find the small qty I need locally.

I have a black 96 SVT Cobra Mustang with otherwise excellent paint. Unfortunately a bat 🦇 nested in our garage and peed on my car in a few spots. I could probably buff it off but I want to use the least aggressive method. I hear the Wheel Brightener on for 30 seconds works without harming paint. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks, Dave in Reading PA.

crg001
09-30-2021, 06:11 PM
I believe the consumer equivalent would be Meguiar's Hot Rims CHROME wheel cleaner. Be very careful with acid-based products though! They can eat through clear in a hurry if you let them dwell too long or dry. Rinse with cold water thoroughly before and afterwards, and try short dwell times first before letting it sit any longer. You may have to resort to polishing the area anyways but acid does have some notable effects on mineralized stains.

57Rambler
09-30-2021, 07:50 PM
I believe the consumer equivalent would be Meguiar's Hot Rims CHROME wheel cleaner. Be very careful with acid-based products though! They can eat through clear in a hurry if you let them dwell too long or dry. Rinse with cold water thoroughly before and afterwards, and try short dwell times first before letting it sit any longer. You may have to resort to polishing the area anyways but acid does have some notable effects on mineralized stains.

:iagree:

The principal ingredient in D140 is an intermediate to hydrofluoric acid. That said, Meg's own label/literature says it's safe to use on clear-coated & painted wheels.

But I like to live by the "Better safe than sorry" mantra, so if you just have a few spots and they're not too big, I might hit them with something very subtle like a hand application of BF One Step. You could go with something like a Meguiar's Swirl X, etc., but I think you'd want a little "cleaning" power too, thus the BF.

Spiney
09-30-2021, 11:19 PM
Thank You both. I had some luck using Meg’s Scratch-X by hand. But in those spots I now need to polish out the swirls. I tried to call Meguiar’s today but it said the call center is closed due to CA COVID restrictions. I’m guessing it’s been like that for a long time. Dave

Coatingsarecrack
10-01-2021, 04:25 AM
Thank You both. I had some luck using Meg’s Scratch-X by hand. But in those spots I now need to polish out the swirls. I tried to call Meguiar’s today but it said the call center is closed due to CA COVID restrictions. I’m guessing it’s been like that for a long time. Dave

Email them. They probably have someone who will answer emails from home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supergus1
10-09-2021, 10:05 PM
I'm no pro detailer but I've had great luck with Meg's Water Spot Remover (A3714) without having to polish after.