PDA

View Full Version : Scangrip lights worth it?

Bdubbs
09-22-2021, 07:31 PM
When I detailed my 90 coupe I didn't use any special lighting. I definitely missed some areas that I'd like to go over again at some point.

And I plan on working on my wife's 67 fastback and my 03 cobra at some point.

So in saying that, is it a good idea to invest in Scangrip lights? Or another brand? If Scangrip is the best, which one should I go with?

I even found a kit that includes a couple.

*NEW* ScanGrip Detailing Kit Essential Work Lights For Detailing and Color Match | eBay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ScanGrip-Detailing-Kit-Essential-Work-Lights-For-Detailing-and-Color-Match-/193794041868?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0)

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

John U
09-22-2021, 07:53 PM
I have a MultiMatch R. I was surprised when using it to paint a room that even when plugged in, it ran short of power. I sent an email to the factory and found out the power of the charger would only keep it continually running at a 50% power setting.

I like the unit but ended up buying a 1,000 watt LED until for $39.00 for my project.

I mounted the MultiMatch on a sturdy photography tripod which worked well.

Bruno Soares
09-22-2021, 07:55 PM
I love my Scangrip Multimatch R. But if I had to buy it again I’d try to get the Gyeon version, called Prism Plus. It’s the same light but can be controlled via Bluetooth and, the best part, includes a light diffuser that makes it great for finding high spots during coating installs.

It’s not cheap but I do consider them worth it. You don’t need the bigger models, the Multimatch level is great.

Just be mentally prepared to find more defects and have more work to do :)

Bruno Soares
09-22-2021, 07:57 PM
I have a MultiMatch R. I was surprised when using it to paint a room that even when plugged in it ran short of power. I sent an email to the factory and found out the power of the charger would only keep it continually running at a 50% power setting.

I like the unit but ended up buying a 1,000 watt LED until for $39.00 for my project.

Did they never offer to replace it? Mine will run all day. But I use it on 10%, 25% max. Anything over that and it’s way too bright, it blinds you and you can’t see paint defects.

PaulMys
09-22-2021, 07:59 PM
I love my Scangrip Multimatch R. But if I had to buy it again I’d try to get the Gyeon version, called Prism Plus. It’s the same light but can be controlled via Bluetooth and, the best part, includes a light diffuser that makes it great for finding high spots during coating installs.

It’s not cheap but I do consider them worth it. You don’t need the bigger models, the Multimatch level is great.

Just be mentally prepared to find more defects and have more work to do :)

Got a better light, and I'm somehow more depressed.............. :laughing::laughing:

John U
09-22-2021, 08:36 PM
Did they never offer to replace it? Mine will run all day. But I use it on 10%, 25% max. Anything over that and it’s way too bright, it blinds you and you can’t see paint defects.

Thanks for that! I’ll try it at lower settings. I’m usually using it 75%. (more the merrier thinking I have).

It was not designed for continuous running over 50%. I thought about looking for a higher wattage charger but I’m only asking for trouble. I’ll stick to car use and paint with the other.
No offer to replace. I was using it beyond what it was designed for. The instructions might say that it will only support 50% power for continuous running. I have to think this comes up often from users.

Bdubbs
09-23-2021, 04:16 AM
Sounds like the Multimatch R will work. Anyone using the tripod for it?

Coatingsarecrack
09-23-2021, 04:25 AM

Second getting the Gyeon version. Eapecially if you ever get into coatings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bdubbs
09-23-2021, 04:37 AM
Second getting the Gyeon version. Eapecially if you ever get into coatings.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI need to do some research. I don't understand the big difference between the two. I assume the Gyeon Prism will still show imperfections in the paint?

Luket
09-23-2021, 05:31 AM
Didn’t work well on my pearl white paint

Bruno Soares
09-23-2021, 05:44 AM
I need to do some research. I don't understand the big difference between the two. I assume the Gyeon Prism will still show imperfections in the paint?

Gyeon is the same light, made by Scangrip. Just has the extra two features, one of which is very useful for coatings and they won’t sell you the diffuser separately. It would attach to the Scangrip one if you managed to get it. It’s harder to find Gyeon’s model though as it’s not sold by many retailers.

TTQ B4U
09-23-2021, 06:32 AM
When I detailed my 90 coupe I didn't use any special lighting. I definitely missed some areas that I'd like to go over again at some point.

And I plan on working on my wife's 67 fastback and my 03 cobra at some point.

So in saying that, is it a good idea to invest in Scangrip lights? Or another brand? If Scangrip is the best, which one should I go with?

they aren't necessary. honestly, cheap halogen or even LED's from Home Depot are what I call the "ugly lights" Once they are on a clean dry and ready to be polished car, they will show any and all things ugly. I've used them side by side with really expensive one another detailer has brought over and there's no real difference in what they each reveal in terms of marring and scratches. Color matched lights are used more for paint work.

John U
09-23-2021, 08:45 AM

There is a hole in the magnetized base that allows you to bolt it to a tripod.

2black1s
09-23-2021, 11:58 AM
they aren't necessary. honestly, cheap halogen or even LED's from Home Depot are what I call the "ugly lights" Once they are on a clean dry and ready to be polished car, they will show any and all things ugly. I've used them side by side with really expensive one another detailer has brought over and there's no real difference in what they each reveal in terms of marring and scratches. Color matched lights are used more for paint work.

I agree. I feel that "swirl finder" lights from any manufacturer are simply marketing hype. That said, they are convenient because of their small size and portability.

Nearly any bright light source will do the job. Over the years I have used 100W incandescent bulbs in a trouble light fixture and it works as well as anything else I have used. Lately, incandescent bulbs are getting harder to source so I've been using LED bulbs.

I also have access to and have used a Flex "swirl finder" that a friend of mine (who falls for every gimmick out there) purchased. Other than the convenience factor it works no better than a more traditional light source.