PDA

View Full Version : Getting Clay out of PPF

Pages : [1] 2

chilly
09-17-2021, 01:49 PM
I’m embarrassed to admit it but at some point I got too close to one of the thick PPF rock panels on my Tacoma while claying

I noticed a faint line of yellow clay today and it’s been there for over a year

I’m thinking a bamboo skewer and a microfiber towel run carefully along the edge

“Tooth Pickery” as Jim White calls it

But is there anything I could pretreat it with to soften the clay that won’t compromise the PPF adhesive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joebruin77
09-17-2021, 02:29 PM
I’m embarrassed to admit it but at some point I got too close to one of the thick PPF rock panels on my Tacoma while claying

I noticed a faint line of yellow clay today and it’s been there for over a year

I’m thinking a bamboo skewer and a microfiber towel run carefully along the edge

“Tooth Pickery” as Jim White calls it

But is there anything I could pretreat it with to soften the clay that won’t compromise the PPF adhesive?

What about spraying a ton of clay lubricant on it and then trying to remove it with a fine, soft detailing brush?

chilly
09-17-2021, 02:59 PM
What about spraying a ton of clay lubricant on it and then trying to remove it with a fine, soft detailing brush?

I thought of that but thought about how clay lube is designed NOT to let clay break down and how car soap solutions will often break clay down

I will certainly try that as a least aggressive approach and go from there

Thanks

Rsurfer
09-17-2021, 03:56 PM
Maybe you can find out what soaps will break down clay and use that as a softening agent? IIRC Power Clean will break down clay.

chilly
09-17-2021, 04:01 PM
Maybe you can find out what soaps will break down clay and use that as a softening agent? IIRC Power Clean will break down clay.

I think that’s the safest approach

I have OPC so I’ll try that first

I’ll put bits of clay in with some and just see what happens

I remember a long time ago using something as clay lube that just turned it to a stringy mess

Wish I could remember

I’m NOT trying any kind of solvents or Tarminator or stuff like that around PPF

Thanks Ron

2black1s
09-17-2021, 04:16 PM
The skewer method is your best shot... I do it all the time - clay, polish, wax residues.

chilly
09-17-2021, 04:17 PM
The skewer method is your best shot... I do it all the time clay, polish, wax residues.

If you are going to try to dissolve the clay the first solvent I'd try would be mineral spirits.

You don’t think that would get up and under the PPF?

2black1s
09-17-2021, 04:23 PM
You don’t think that would get up and under the PPF?

I edited my previous post and deleted the mineral spirits method after reading your last post where you said you're not trying any solvents.

That's ok... the skewer method is the best anyways and that would be my first choice.

vobro
09-17-2021, 06:42 PM
I’ve used wooden skewers with the rounded off edges and held it parallel to the edge,never pushed into the seam. It may take a few gentle tries but it’ll work. My installer gave me some XPEL PPF Cleaner and I used that. I also ran some tape along the seam in case the skewer snapped, I didn’t want to take a chance of scuffing the film

chilly
09-17-2021, 07:08 PM
I appreciate the input

I’m ready to take a careful approach and get more aggressive if necessary

I’ll report back

chilly
09-19-2021, 03:34 PM
I tried OPC at 3:1 which is what I keep mixed up and it didn’t seem to help soften the clay

I tried OPC straight and it possibly helped a bit

I decided to soak a small piece of clay in each solution overnight and the 3:1 didn’t phase it but the straight OPC actually softened it almost to the point of dissolving

I’m going to keep working on it with a boars hair brush and straight OPC and see if enough application cycles will remove it all

At this point it’s a science experiment because it’s keeping me entertained

Thank god I’m not getting paid by the hour

Carry on

Markymapo
09-19-2021, 04:00 PM
Keep us posted as I am going to get the front end of Car Coated in PPF ( when ever it shows up). I do like your DOE ( design of experiment) / plan of attack

chilly
09-19-2021, 04:02 PM
Roger that

Hope you get your car soon

[emoji1695]

DUBL0WS6
09-19-2021, 11:03 PM
I'd try some WD40 or Goo Gone and a MF towel.

dgage
09-20-2021, 12:39 AM
I haven’t actually worked with PPF to know but I would worry about Goo Gone affecting the PPF adhesive.