PDA

View Full Version : Collinite 845: A couple questions

Pages : [1] 2

joebruin77
09-11-2021, 01:58 PM
Today I took out an old bottle of Collinite 845. It was like running into a long lost friend. I then put a coat of 845 on my wife's Honda Accord. It was very satisfying to apply the wax, let it dry to a haze, and then buff it off. For the last 3 or 4 years, I have used spray ceramic sealants, so it felt good to go back to an old school wax.

I have a couple questions about 845:

1) I vaguely remember reading that I should avoid applying 845 to black trim. Is that correct? Today, I did indeed avoid putting it on black trim. To protect the trim, I applied Griot's Garage 3-in-1 Ceramic Wax just to the trim. Is this recommended or is it ok to apply 845 to trim?

2) How does 845 compare in terms of durability to GG 3-in-1 Ceramic Wax? I know 845 does not contain any ceramic, so it supposedly doesn't last as long. But given that 845 dwells on the paint for several minutes while it dries to a haze and the GG 3-in-1 is wiped off immediately, it just seems strange to think that the GG would be more durable.

3) Where I live, summer temperatures routinely get above 100 degrees. I know that in general carnauba waxes don't do well in hot temps. But since Collinite 845 also has synthetic polymers in it, does it do ok in the heat? How long will 845 in hot summer temps?

Thank you,
Joe

627PCFan
09-11-2021, 02:21 PM
I previously loved 845 and 476 but left them because of the static/dusting. 845 doesn't effect rubber trim and was good on my black truck for 2-3 months in the VA sun. (no garage). FWIW I still use 845 as my quick wax on client cars because it's so user-friendly.

glen e
09-11-2021, 03:05 PM
Durable as all get out, but too much hassle to use. However if I wanted a winter sealer in a heavily salt area like upper NY………

John U
09-11-2021, 05:52 PM
Hassle???

How so? I must be doing something wrong. :D

DFB
09-12-2021, 03:21 AM
Hassle???

How so? I must be doing something wrong. :D

The only thing I could think of regarding 845 being a "hassle" would be the need to warm it up in cooler climates. Even then, all it takes is moment under hot running water to liquefy it. Or perhaps the light hazing after a few days, which disappears after the next wash. Both are easy to deal with. I guess at this point I would say that all products have their pluses and minuses.

PA DETAILER
09-12-2021, 04:50 AM
https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-to-articles/40243-collinite-845-definitive-how-guide-legendary-wax.html?highlight=845+application+guide

Desertnate
09-13-2021, 07:50 AM
Here are my thoughts. I've not used 845 for a while, but used it for many years.

1. I kept it off black trim too. Not because I experienced any staining of the trim, but other waxes and sealants I'd used before 845 did, and I was a little gun-shy.

2. I'm not sure 3 in 1 has been around long enough to do a full torture test. My vote would be on 845. 3 in 1 is a great product and I like using it, but I'm not sure they are in the same class. I could get 5~6 months durability from 845 easily.

3. 845 was originally designed to be used on the insulators on electrical power lines. It's really durable and should hold up to both heat and cold pretty well. It did just fine for me in temps of 95F+ and very high humidity. I used it year round and was able to six-ish months regardless of blazing summer temps or freezing cold winters.

joebruin77
09-13-2021, 11:21 AM
Thank you, everyone, for your very helpful replies. I noticed that 845 has a strong chemical smell and doesn't seem to rinse out of the applicator that easily with soap and water. I am guessing is has some petroleum distillates in it. How do you wash the applicators and towels used to apply and buff off 845?

Paul A.
09-13-2021, 11:38 AM
I use 845 in FL and have for many years. I get 3-6 months out of it depending on the customer's driving and storage conditions. Carnauba or any natural wax products don't last long down here at all. 845 does.

No problem down here liquifying it. Leave it in the sun for 2-3 mins.

I apply it THIN THIN THIN with my PC and a LC gold LSP pad. 15 mins and BAM...applied.

Sorry can't compare it to GG 3 in 1 (never used) but it clearly outlasts any of my other AIO products but none are ceramic products.

Never had it stain black trim (plastic, rubber etc.)

Desertnate
09-13-2021, 11:56 AM
Thank you, everyone, for your very helpful replies. I noticed that 845 has a strong chemical smell and doesn't seem to rinse out of the applicator that easily with soap and water. I am guessing is has some petroleum distillates in it. How do you wash the applicators and towels used to apply and buff off 845?

For the towels, I soaked them in water/APC solution and they seemed to be OK. As for the applicator, lets just say I now have a dedicated 845 pad for my DA. Never could get it out very well.

Paul A.
09-13-2021, 01:21 PM
Like Nate, i clean my mf towels normally but after washing out my pad it goes back in the "845" plastic ziplock (after dry).

PaulMys
09-13-2021, 04:48 PM
Like Nate, i clean my mf towels normally but after washing out my pad it goes back in the "845" plastic ziplock (after dry).

Same here.

Washing out 845 or 476S from pads is damn near impossible. Which leads me to believe it is some tough sh!t. (It IS).

The advice about applying 845 thin is correct. But unless you are the worlds biggest ass-hat, and just spill half the bottle over the hood, you'll be fine. Just use common sense. :)

And lastly, temperature and humidity play a role in any kind of LSP application. But as I have posted before, I once was in a rush to remove 845 before it became too dark out. (I cut my time too short by trying to do too much in one day.)

The next morning, and to my initial horror, I discovered I had missed my entire tailgate. The 845 sat on there for about 12 hours.

Cursing myself, I went inside and grabbed about 6 wax removing towels ready for a fight.

But to my surprise, the 845 actually wiped off just as easy (if not easier) than normal. 2 minutes and done!

As other guys above have mentioned, the 845 gets me an easy 6 months here in NY.

I'll always be a Collinite fan. :righton:

John U
09-13-2021, 05:59 PM
I apply it THIN THIN THIN with my PC and a LC gold LSP pad. 15 mins and BAM...applied.

Ya know, I considered using a buffer to apply it. Figuring how long it would take me to clean out the pad and how much wasted product would soak into the pad. I use a microfiber rectangle. A dollop on each corner and one in the middle, then rubbed together, will almost do a whole Corvette. These pads lay flat on the surface and spread product evenly.

I toss it in the wash to clean.

PaulMys
09-13-2021, 06:09 PM
Ya know, I considered using a buffer to apply it. Figuring how long it would take me to clean out the pad and how much wasted product would soak into the pad. I use a microfiber rectangle. A dollop on each corner and one in the middle, then rubbed together, will almost do a whole Corvette. These pads lay flat on the surface and spread product evenly.

I toss it in the wash to clean.

I use the good old yellow Meguire's 4" round foam applicators.

*Easy to get into tight spaces. (Fold when necessary)

*Once "primed" (about the first minute) they do not soak up any more product.

*JMO, but any time saved with a machine is lost when you have to either set it down to get into the tight areas, or go back over the vehicle to get into the tight areas. (Again......JMO). :)

DFB
09-14-2021, 02:31 AM

I used a wax application pad on my machine to apply 845,with a small foam applicator for intricate areas. I soak the pad in a microfibre detergent for a few minutes before doing my best to rinse it out under running water. It then go's through a normal machine wash cycle with the same detergent. That pad then become dedicated to 845. The small foam applicator is binned.