PDA

View Full Version : New polisher and polishing technique help

Pages : [1] 2

jrt81
09-10-2021, 01:51 PM
Hello Everyone,

Having been absent for quite a while in this forum, I have been reading up on the new buffers and detailing stuff.

I am thinking of upgrading my old PC (pre-XP) and i would appreciate more info on the new buffers out currently.

I am after a smoother machine. And I am luckily not in need of major correction.

I would appreciate more info on both long throw and forced rotation. Mainly what differences in polishing would be involved with these machines.

Also, to those who have both, is the gear driven machines much harder to control ( at least, that is what my impressions are).

Oh, I am thinking (more like wishing!) of going cordless, which I think i only have either the CBeast or the Finisher.

Your tips and feedback are greatly appreciated.

Raoul

noorth
09-10-2021, 03:26 PM
If i was thinking of buying a new expensive machine personally i would go cordless. If you want to polish out a car in one day you might need extra batteries though.

Never used force rotation.

dgage
09-10-2021, 09:24 PM
I got tired of dealing with cords so I bought a CBeast and I love it. SO, SO MUCH BETTER. I also have the Finisher but I don’t use it that much as it isn’t that powerful. You definitely need to get used to the forced rotation but it makes such quick work of defects, it is so worth it,

For the polishing I’ve done recently, I’ve used Uro-Tec Blue Coarse pads and Griot’s Fast Correcting Cream, Uro-Tec Yellow polishing pads with Sonax 04-06, and Uro-Tec White polishing pads with Menzerna 3800/Rupes Uno Pure.

dlc95
09-10-2021, 11:17 PM
The pre XP polisher is the first one I grab, and is the smoothest polisher I have access to.

At work we have Rupes 21mk2, 15 mk3, mini, nano, Adams swirl killer 15, and mini. I have in my arsenal 3 PC 7424, 3 7424xp, Rupes 21, 2 Rupes Duetto, 2 Rupes Mini, Rupes Nano, Flex 3401.

Out of all those I still grab the 7424 first.

My second favorite is actually the Adams 15 because It's pretty smooth. The original Rupes 21 is also really smooth.

The forced rotation 3401 is a different experience at first. Once you get used to the characteristic of the polisher, It's really easy to use, and can make quick work of heavier jobs.

I'm actually considering a move to the Flex line. I feel like they're the gold standard in for and finish, as well as overall robust quality. I think the XFE15 might be similar to the Adams 15 at work, which would be great for me.

jrt81
09-12-2021, 01:30 PM
I got tired of dealing with cords so I bought a CBeast and I love it. SO, SO MUCH BETTER. I also have the Finisher but I don’t use it that much as it isn’t that powerful. You definitely need to get used to the forced rotation but it makes such quick work of defects, it is so worth it,

For the polishing I’ve done recently, I’ve used Uro-Tec Blue Coarse pads and Griot’s Fast Correcting Cream, Uro-Tec Yellow polishing pads with Sonax 04-06, and Uro-Tec White polishing pads with Menzerna 3800/Rupes Uno Pure.
Thanks!
How do you find the Finisher? Is it sufficient for light correction?

jrt81
09-12-2021, 01:31 PM
Does the XFE have the same power as the Rupes 15?

John U
09-12-2021, 02:39 PM
Thanks!
How do you find the Finisher? Is it sufficient for light correction?

I purchased a cordless "Finisher" as a supplement to my 3401... I hate cords! I find it gets the carwash scratches out of a black Mercedes fine... it just takes more time with a more aggressive pad then I would use on my 3401. I do miss the forced rotation. I put a line on my pads to make sure the pad is rotating.... not necessary with a "Beast"...hang on and enjoy the ride!

If I was to push the purchase button again I'd do the Cbeast instead.

My cars are in great shape and the "Finisher" is fine for them. My old Porter Cable would be fine for that matter.... except for that cord thing.

luckydawg
09-12-2021, 03:06 PM
Look into the rupes duet
Its a smooth 12mm and about the same size as the PC - no need to go to a full sized machine with what your doing
I am not big on cordless myself. If you were doing plenty of heavy corrections for a living, the rupes mille or flex 3401 is your answer

luckydawg
09-12-2021, 03:17 PM
I'm actually considering a move to the Flex line. I feel like they're the gold standard in for and finish, as well as overall robust quality.
We definitely have a difference of opinion there- as I dont think there are very many Chinese motor driven electrical tools I would call a gold standard. I have several pre-chineese motor drive flex polishers ( 3401, PE 14-2 150 rotary and the XFE7 -15 150 ) all 3 being driven by german motors. I have swopped over to rupes.

dlc95
09-12-2021, 03:30 PM
We definitely have a difference of opinion there- as I dont think there are very many Chinese motor driven electrical tools I would call a gold standard. I have several pre-chineese motor drive flex polishers ( 3401, PE 14-2 150 rotary and the XFE7 -15 150 ) all 3 being driven by german motors. I have swopped over to rupes.

That's a shame. Thanks for the heads up. I heard Flex was owned by a Chinese company, but I thought the tools were all made in Germany with German parts.

My 3401 is really old. I got it from a friend over the summer.

If that's the case I'll stay with Rupes. I'm not unhappy with them. I just wanted a bit of a change.

luckydawg
09-12-2021, 03:32 PM
Flex farmed out just the motors to chyna

dgage
09-12-2021, 03:43 PM
I purchased a cordless "Finisher" as a supplement to my 3401... I hate cords! I find it gets the carwash scratches out of a black Mercedes fine... it just takes more time with a more aggressive pad then I would use on my 3401. I do miss the forced rotation. I put a line on my pads to make sure the pad is rotating.... not necessary with a "Beast"...hang on and enjoy the ride!

If I was to push the purchase button again I'd do the Cbeast instead.

My cars are in great shape and the "Finisher" is fine for them. My old Porter Cable would be fine for that matter.... except for that cord thing.

I agree with John U. The Finisher isn’t that powerful and really is just for those with the softest of paints. On other than really soft paint, I’m grabbing the CBeast and going at it. That thing is plenty powerful and worth twice the difference in cost in my opinion.

And if the motor is Chinese, we’ll, I didn’t notice. It is plenty powerful and smooth. But it is forced rotation so definitely need a solid hold on it and need to get used to holding it correctly.

luckydawg
09-12-2021, 03:57 PM
I am not saying stuff from chyna is all 100% junk-- I just choose not to spend my $ there-- thats all

John U
09-12-2021, 05:54 PM
Yup, a china factory owned by them.

luckydawg
09-12-2021, 05:59 PM
I got that info about two years ago from a HIGHLY respected connected source that Flex farmed out the motors to chyna

I would find it unusual though that another country could "own" any company in communist run chyna-- it ain't like a free market society over there.
I am pretty sure the Govt is involved in most every business