PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Car Wax -Is It Me or the Wax?

Pages : [1] 2 3

joebruin77
09-07-2021, 03:57 PM
I tried Optimum Car Wax for the first time recently. I was looking forward to it, as I heard it has special UV protectants, and I also love many of Optimum's products. However, my experience with this particular wax was not that great. As I was wiping it off, it seemed kind of grabby and was not slick or smooth under the towel. I did not notice a pop in the gloss as I have with other products. But most concerning was when I did a rinseless wash maybe a week or 10 days after application, the rinseless wash solution seemed to hold onto the paint and left some water marks. I really had to rub the paint to get rid of the water marks. BTW, the paint was cool and in the shade, so it was not due to heat or the wash solution flashing too quickly.

Before I draw negative conclusions about this wax, it is possible that I contributed to the negative experience. I did not polish the paint before applying it, so it is possible that some of my previous protection was still on the paint and therefore affecting the wax. Also, while I took steps to make sure I did not under or over apply the wax, that is still a possibility.

What has been your experience with Optimum Spray Wax? Is my experience typical or unusual?

Thanks in advance,
joebruin77

CleanIT
09-07-2021, 04:31 PM
I was going to try their car wax. So far Opti-Seal and Opti-Clean have been the most "grabby" products I've used. Detailer is not. I'm not saying that is a bad thing, but its something I had to get used to.

Rsurfer
09-07-2021, 04:32 PM
[QUOTE=joebruin77;1726497]

Before I draw negative conclusions about this wax, it is possible that I contributed to the negative experience. I did not polish the paint before applying it, so it is possible that some of my previous protection was still on the paint and therefore affecting the wax. Also, while I took steps to make sure I did not under or over apply the wax, that is still a possibility.

Sounds like this is what's happening. Never had a problem with OSW. Polish a section and see what happens.

PaulMys
09-07-2021, 04:42 PM
I have never had that happen with OSW.

And I use it on my unpolished paint (after washing) in the spring before I can get to the annual polishing session.

Like Rsurfer said: Maybe polish a section, and then try it?

What LSP do you use?

chilly
09-07-2021, 05:00 PM
I have been using it for years and put it on top of everything from bare paint to various sealants and never had an issue unless I over applied it

I am wondering if they changed it recently?

My bottle is a year and a half old and almost empty and it's a milky color in the traditional OPT blue bottle

The new stuff I am seeing on the interwebs is a sick pink in a clear bottle

Wonder if it's a change in product or just packaging?

CleanIT
09-07-2021, 05:26 PM
The QD is green now. Good question.

joebruin77
09-07-2021, 06:23 PM
I have never had that happen with OSW.

And I use it on my unpolished paint (after washing) in the spring before I can get to the annual polishing session.

Like Rsurfer said: Maybe polish a section, and then try it?

What LSP do you use?

I applied Griot's Garage 3-in-1 Ceramic Wax about 2.5 months ago.

joebruin77
09-07-2021, 06:25 PM
I have been using it for years and put it on top of everything from bare paint to various sealants and never had an issue unless I over applied it

I am wondering if they changed it recently?

My bottle is a year and a half old and almost empty and it's a milky color in the traditional OPT blue bottle

The new stuff I am seeing on the interwebs is a sick pink in a clear bottle

Wonder if it's a change in product or just packaging?

I was wondering the same thing. I had the old blue bottle in mind when I ordered it and was surprised to see the reddish-pink wax when it was delivered.

chilly
09-07-2021, 06:28 PM
Just what we need…

“New and improved”

Oy vey

lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chilly
09-07-2021, 06:32 PM
I was wondering the same thing. I had the old blue bottle in mind when I ordered it and was surprised to see the reddish-pink wax when it was delivered.

Well I need a new bottle so I’ll see what results I get

I also have a bottle of TW Wet Wax I want to try out on my truck

I decided to do a half and half on my hood with the little bit of OCW I have left and the Wet Wax at my next maintenance wash

joebruin77
09-07-2021, 06:33 PM
Well I need a new bottle so I’ll see what results I get

I also have a bottle of TW Wet Wax I want to try out on my truck

I decided to do a half and half on my hood with the little bit of OCW I have left and the Wet Wax at my next maintenance wash

I'd be real curious to hear your results. Please post them here. Thanks!

chilly
09-07-2021, 06:40 PM
Roger that!

PaulMys
09-07-2021, 06:46 PM
I applied Griot's Garage 3-in-1 Ceramic Wax about 2.5 months ago.

I will tell you that the Griot's 3-in-1 is some tenacious stuff.

I have gotten 3+ months out of it on a test section of my roof. And..... One application on my snow blower augers lasted through 4 snow storms.

Could it be the Griot's (even in its waning days) was trying to "fight off" the OCW? :confused:

chilly
09-07-2021, 06:56 PM
I will tell you that the Griot's 3-in-1 is some tenacious stuff.

I have gotten 3+ months out of it on a test section of my roof. And..... One application on my snow blower augers lasted through 4 snow storms.

Could it be the Griot's (even in its waning days) was trying to "fight off" the OCW? :confused:

I know one of OPTs claims to fame has always been the synergy between their products, although I have never seen their stuff not play well with others

It is certainly possible that the Griot's is fighting it

It would be interesting to see if you could apply a Griot's product equivalent to OCW over their 3 in 1 and see what happened

I have zero experience with Griot's products

PaulMys
09-07-2021, 07:00 PM
I have zero experience with Griot's products

You poor, poor man...........:cry:

:cool: